JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've heard/read about three exceptions. Black bears that have become familiar with people, such as being fed by them or eating human garbage, which allows bears to associate human scent with food, or eating dog or cat food from dishes on people's porches. Second is getting between mother bear and her cubs. Third is if you surprise a bear from inside its attack distance.

Is this right @Tlock ?

Any idea of what a black bear's attack distance is? (When I'm in woods I'm very quiet, since seeing and hearing wildlife is part of the point.)
100% correct....once I had a sow in a snare that was in heat and the boar was there trying to breed her. I was caught off gaurd but came out the winner. Second time was at a disabled kids camp and the bear had been raiding the garbage cans and ate all the trout out of there little pond. I missed him in my set and was rebait when he charged, I slipped and fell and couldn't draw. He stopped at my feet and realized what I was and turned around and went up a tree. My encounters have all been within 50 feet I'd say

I've had only two black bear encounters. First was when hiking with my dog, a Chow/Spitz cross, in the Siuslaw Forest. Was walking along a dirt road when I heard a huge thrashing in the blackberry patch I was passing. I drew my 6" Security 6 .357 mag and backed off to the edge of the small clearing. Dog quietly took up a position between me and noise. Suddenly the bear emerged from brambles and froze. The dog was only about 12' from bear. I was only about 22' from bear. Bear, dog, and I all stood there motionless and silent for what seemed like forever, but was probably about 30". Then bear ran, again making a huge thrashing noise in blackberry thicket. Dog chased bear barking excitedly, but returned immediately when I yelled "Out!" My instincts said dog and I were within bear attack distance, and he would have attacked if we had moved or made any noise during that period when he was deciding whether to attack or run. We had a steady crosswind, incidently. Bear and dog had been unable to smell each other.

The other bear showed up in my back yard heading toward my ducks night pen. I was aroused by duck alarm calls. I spotlighted and yelled at the bear through second floor living room window. Bear kept coming. I put a .357 mag bullet into ground next to bear. He turned and ran. My home is in a residential area but its much wooded and close to MacDonald forest. I suspect that bear had been eating pet food left on people's porches, and was used to people spotlighting and yelling at him. But not shooting at him.

100% correct....once I had a sow in a snare that was in heat and the boar was there trying to breed her. I was caught off gaurd but came out the winner. Second time was at a disabled kids camp and the bear had been raiding the garbage cans and ate all the trout out of there little pond. I missed him in my set and was rebait when he charged, I slipped and fell and couldn't draw. He stopped at my feet and realized what I was and turned around and went up a tree. My encounters have all been within 50 feet I'd say
YIPE!
Too close for comfort.

I've had only two black bear encounters. First was when hiking with my dog, a Chow/Spitz cross, in the Siuslaw Forest. Was walking along a dirt road when I heard a huge thrashing in the blackberry patch I was passing. I drew my 6" Security 6 .357 mag and backed off to the edge of the small clearing. Dog quietly took up a position between me and noise. Suddenly the bear emerged from brambles and froze. The dog was only about 12' from bear. I was only about 22' from bear. Bear, dog, and I all stood there motionless and silent for what seemed like forever, but was probably about 30". Then bear ran, again making a huge thrashing noise in blackberry thicket. Dog chased bear barking excitedly, but returned immediately when I yelled "Out!" My instincts said dog and I were within bear attack distance, and he would have attacked if we had moved or made any noise during that period when he was deciding whether to attack or run. We had a steady crosswind, incidently. Bear and dog had been unable to smell each other.

The other bear showed up in my back yard heading toward my ducks night pen. I was aroused by duck alarm calls. I spotlighted and yelled at the bear through second floor living room window. Bear kept coming. I put a .357 mag bullet into ground next to bear. He turned and ran. My home is in a residential area but its much wooded and close to MacDonald forest. I suspect that bear had been eating pet food left on people's porches, and was used to people spotlighting and yelling at him. But not shooting at him.
I've been trapping bears so long I'm surprised I haven't had more close calls. I've pulled a couple stupid moves and got within the trap circle. My favorite was letting a couger go out of a bear foot snare with just a catchpole.....

Trudeau is a fascist control freak. Surely The Great White North can come up with better???
Bob and Doug McKenzie come to mind... :D
Andy
200.gif

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA