JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Where are the wolves at here? (Sorry I'm new here)
Originated I think by coming from Idaho into NE Oregon. There got to be so many wolf packs and they kept multiplying, I guess they wandered out across the rest of Oregon. Here's a link to ODFW website:

I thought I'd read the new plan to re-intro wolves to part of Colorado, calls from transplanting wolves from other states, including Oregon. Some would interpret that as Oregon having "enough" wolves.

Have a piece of property in NE Wa. opening morning of deer season about 1 hour before daylight we could hear a wolf howling off in the distance. A dog started howling, Then a wolf that was closer. The dog again, then a wolf that was WAY too close. Made you look over your shoulder. Ominous beginning t o deer season. we saw nor heard anything that day, well plenty of wolf tracks. We have plenty of wolves.

I read too, that NE Washington once had a forest caribou herd starting up, but wolves took ended that. I think they've also had a detrimental impact on the once-promising moose numbers in NE Oregon.
We were getting caribou from Canada but since we will not deal with wolf problem, they will not send more Caribou to feed our wolfs . Cannot blame them- they deal with wolfs in caribou area. The government is great at creating problems- solving- not so hot.

We were getting caribou from Canada but since we will not deal with wolf problem, they will not send more Caribou to feed our wolfs . Cannot blame them- they deal with wolfs in caribou area. The government is great at creating problems- solving- not so hot.
Besides, there is strong evidence that government wildlife agencies have been infiltrated by left wing animal rights supporters who are anti- hunting!

Besides, there is strong evidence that government wildlife agencies have been infiltrated by left wing animal rights supporters who are anti- hunting!
Yup, truer words… just talk to the managers at Ridgefield Wildlife Refuge and you'll see where their feelings lie about hunters. Only place I've ever been checked for Ghost Loading by a Fed. The guy told me if they could ban Benelli SBEs they would. He even had a mallard hen call hanging around his neck - noted after we kept hearing one behind the blind… he was trying to bait us into leaving to blind to shoot… against the rules at RWR.

Yup, truer words… just talk to the managers at Ridgefield Wildlife Refuge and you'll see where their feelings lie about hunters. Only place I've ever been checked for Ghost Loading by a Fed. The guy told me if they could ban Benelli SBEs they would. He even had a mallard hen call hanging around his neck - noted after we kept hearing one behind the blind… he was trying to bait us into leaving to blind to shoot… against the rules at RWR
These animal rights people employed by the ODFW are opposed to the purpose of the ODFW and anyone opposed should be ferreted out and fired! However, since almost 100% of animal rights extremists come from the left side of the aisle and this state is run by the left, that'll never happen! In fact I can see it getting worse! It's just one more reason to move the Idaho border!

These animal rights people employed by the ODFW are opposed to the purpose of the ODFW and anyone opposed should be ferreted out and fired!
You mean, like this?

858E5453-BD57-4FC7-AFF5-78D7499DB102.jpeg

Don't even get me started on ODFW! I live just blocks from their Office and have met many of their "Employees" Pretty much ALL are crooked and will do anything to block sportsmen from partaking in any legal harvesting, from the way they administrate the fisheries to hunting, it's nothing but a lefty orgy of corruption!

Don't even get me started on ODFW! I live just blocks from their Office and have met many of their "Employees" Pretty much ALL are crooked and will do anything to block sportsmen from partaking in any legal harvesting, from the way they administrate the fisheries to hunting, it's nothing but a lefty orgy of corruption!
I have to work very closely with odfw on a regular basis. I know what you mean!

We humans have eliminated wolves from every area we were capable of eliminating wolves from, worldwide. We find it much easier to coexist with bears and cougars than wolves. Why? I think its because wolves as predators are our most direct ecological competitors. They, like us, are highly social, highly intelligent medium-sized pack predators. Wolves kill and eat all our favorite small, medium, and large game animals and livestock. Except for the fact that wolves also eat a lot of tiny mammals such as mice, and we fish and hunt ocean mammals, there is complete overlap in our hunting interests.

We are less able to protect grazing herds of our livestock from wolves than bears or cougars. Generally, two or three flock guardian dogs can drive off or even kill a solitary bear or cougar. Or tree it so that a human can come shoot it. But a pack of wolves can tear even a pack of several livestock guardian dogs to shreds. Even a powerful dog such as a Kangel is no match for a wolf. You normally need a pack of three or more for protection against even a small pack of wolves. By the time you have a pack of a dozen wolves you are going to be picking up maimed bodies of your Kangels. Each Guard dog takes several thousand dollars and about three years to train. And a single damaged dog can cost thousands in vet bills after an encounter with a wolf pack.

Frequently any unneutered male dogs are deliberated lured away by female wolves in heat and led into ambushes by the rest of the pack. Or a few wolves attack one side of the herd, drawing the dogs and shepherds to that side. And the rest of the pack attacks the other side of the herd.

The only way humans can successfully manage herds/flocks of livestock under extensive grazing conditions in the presence of wolves is to have the livestock actively protected by multiple dogs and one or more humans with guns. And the humans must be free to kill any and all wolves that come after or near the livestock. Under these conditions the wolves learn to avoid the livestock and stick to game. If there are laws preventing you from killing every wolf that comes near your cattle, you lose. You will suffer increasing raids until your flocks and dogs are so decimated that you are bankcrupt. And your ranch or grazing land will be worthless as a productive ranch too. That's what is happening on the edges of Yellowstone these days. And ranchers in Eastern OR and WA are already losing out to the wolves. Besides humans, a pack of wolves is the apex predator. And Wildlife officials promising to remove wolves or compensate ranchers for wolf kills while charging them thousands in fines if they kill a wolf is cruelty. Its impossible to prove unambiguously that a kill was made by wolves in most cases. And to train wolf packs to avoid livestock you need to kill wolves every time they come near a herd .

Those who pass laws restoring wolves to habitats where we humans once deliberately removed them should be required to buy up all ranches at their going value before destroying the value of the land for raising animals. Alternately they should allow ranchers or herders to kill any wolf that comes onto their land or pastures. Such laws along with dogs can allow humans and their livestock to coexist with wolves. It will still make livestock raising more difficult and less profitable for graziers. Just not impossible. To introduce wolves even with laws allowing humans to kill them at will still represents a government taking of part of the value of the land, for which landowners should be compensated.

Yes wolves are part of nature. So are humans, smallpox, malaria, and malaria-transmitting mosquitoes. We have managed to eliminate smallpox viruses from the wild. And most of the mosquitoes that transmit malaria from most of the US. I shed no tears over the loss of the smallpox, mosquitoes, or malaria. I think their interests compete with ours too directly. In farm and ranch and livestock grazing lands, I think likewise for the wolf.

As many here realize, the odds of a successful deer or elk hunt go way down where there are wolves. I'd rather leave the wolves out of the situation. Let there be cougars and bears and even grizzlies. But not wolves, our most direct competitors. Except in areas of of genuine wilderness, with no laws protecting wolves that leave the wilderness.

Yes, there was a study showing that where wolves were reintroduced to Yellowstone, the willows and poplars came back along the rivers because the elk didn't simply loaf there and denude the habitat in the absence of wolves. But wolves are not the only way to achieve that. Just change the laws to allow human hunters and fishermen to take elk or deer of any age or sex any time of the day or night any time of year if its within a certain distance of a river.

Last Edited:
We humans have eliminated wolves from every area we were capable of eliminating wolves from, worldwide. We find it much easier to coexist with bears and cougars than wolves. Why? I think its because wolves as predators are our most direct ecological competitors. They, like us, are highly social, highly intelligent medium-sized pack predators. Wolves kill and eat all our favorite small, medium, and large game animals and livestock. Except for the fact that wolves also eat a lot of tiny mammals such as mice, and we fish and hunt ocean mammals, there is complete overlap in our hunting interests.

We are less able to protect grazing herds of our livestock from wolves than bears or cougars. Generally, two or three flock guardian dogs can drive off or even kill a solitary bear or cougar. Or tree it so that a human can come shoot it. But a pack of wolves can tear even a pack of several livestock guardian dogs to shreds. Even a powerful dog such as a Kangel is no match for a wolf. You normally need a pack of three or more for protection against even a small pack of wolves. By the time you have a pack of a dozen wolves you are going to be picking up maimed bodies of your Kangels. Each Guard dog takes several thousand dollars and about three years to train. And a single damaged dog can cost thousands in vet bills after an encounter with a wolf pack.

Frequently any unneutered male dogs are deliberated lured away by female wolves in heat and led into ambushes by the rest of the pack. Or a few wolves attack one side of the herd, drawing the dogs and shepherds to that side. And the rest of the pack attacks the other side of the herd.

The only way humans can successfully manage herds/flocks of livestock under extensive grazing conditions in the presence of wolves is to have the livestock actively protected by multiple dogs and one or more humans with guns. And the humans must be free to kill any and all wolves that come after or near the livestock. Under these conditions the wolves learn to avoid the livestock and stick to game. If there are laws preventing you from killing every wolf that comes near your cattle, you lose. You will suffer increasing raids until your flocks and dogs are so decimated that you are bankcrupt. And your ranch or grazing land will be worthless as a productive ranch too. That's what is happening on the edges of Yellowstone these days. And ranchers in Eastern OR and WA are already losing out to the wolves. Besides humans, a pack of wolves is the apex predator. And Wildlife officials promising to remove wolves or compensate ranchers for wolf kills while charging them thousands in fines if they kill a wolf is cruelty. Its impossible to prove unambiguously that a kill was made by wolves in most cases. And to train wolf packs to avoid livestock you need to kill wolves every time they come near a herd .

Those who pass laws restoring wolves to habitats where we humans once deliberately removed them should be required to buy up all ranches at their going value before destroying the value of the land for raising animals. Alternately they should allow ranchers or herders to kill any wolf that comes onto their land or pastures. Such laws along with dogs can allow humans and their livestock to coexist with wolves. It will still make livestock raising more difficult and less profitable for graziers. Just not impossible. To introduce wolves even with laws allowing humans to kill them at will still represents a government taking of part of the value of the land, for which landowners should be compensated.

Yes wolves are part of nature. So are humans, smallpox, malaria, and malaria-transmitting mosquitoes. We have managed to eliminate smallpox viruses from the wild. And most of the mosquitoes that transmit malaria from most of the US. I shed no tears over the loss of the smallpox, mosquitoes, or malaria. I think their interests compete with ours too directly. In farm and ranch and livestock grazing lands, I think likewise for the wolf.

As many here realize, the odds of a successful deer or elk hunt go way down where there are wolves. I'd rather leave the wolves out of the situation. Let there be cougars and bears and even grizzlies. But not wolves, our most direct competitors. Except in areas of of genuine wilderness, with no laws protecting wolves that leave the wilderness.

Yes, there was a study showing that where wolves were reintroduced to Yellowstone, the willows and poplars came back along the rivers because the elk didn't simply loaf there and denude the habitat in the absence of wolves. But wolves are not the only way to achieve that. Just change the laws to allow human hunters and fishermen to take elk or deer of any age or sex any time of the day or night any time of year if its within a certain distance of a river.
very well said.

"Wolves kill and eat all our favorite small, medium, and large game animals and livestock."

Plus, they'll eat our kids. And us, if they can.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top