JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm settling in after moving from Portland to Atlanta and I see a lot more people open carry here than I did in Oregon. People don't seemed worked up or bothered by it. I'm looking forward to getting my new holster and open carry. The summers here don't really aid in concealed carry.:eek:

:s0155: Tattoo.

Without commenting on the rights or wrongs of open carry versus concealed carry, it seems that it takes a lot of effort to open carry. You have to learn more laws, you have to deal with ignorant (of the laws, not in general) law enforcement, and scared or offended people.
Not saying my way is correct, but in order to conceal carry, I took a several hour class that went over the basics of where I could and could not carry in Oregon. Once it was done, I got my permit and I'm good. I'm still protected the same way as you are when you are open carrying, but I don't have to worry about store policy (if I'm carrying properly they'll never know), unhappy people at the local starbucks, and local LEO's unaware of the local laws (my permit is a document I carry around that more or less explains the legality of my carry).

If you all choose to open carry, that's cool. I don't agree with it. I never have. Some of you have argued with me on other threads about it. But it just seems like you have to jump through a lot more hoops to open carry than you do to concealed carry, at least in shall issue states. California, as in everything of course, is a different animal...

Up here in WA we don't need no stinkin' training! :D

From the perspective of living in WA under WA state law:

To me, it takes no more effort to open carry than conceal carry, and I do a mix of both. There's no more laws to learn for one versus the other, at least for me. I chose to research the entirety of Washington's firearms laws before carrying at all, as I believe everyone should do on their own accord for their state. The laws I researched were actually not very difficult to understand at all, which I like a lot about WA state laws. The way I see it, it's each of our individual responsibility to learn the laws regarding carrying a firearm, whether concealed or open. The law doesn't change depending on whether you OC or CC, or even whether you own a firearm or not! The law is still in place and applies to everyone, but we all know that there are those who choose not to follow it, but that's a whole 'nother ball of wax.

IMHO, if anything, there's less hoops to jump through with open carry since no permit is required. No permit to apply for, no fees to pay. It is also my opinion that if you have to pay the government to carry, it goes from being a right to being a privilege, but once again, it's only my opinion. I didn't have the $55.25 for a couple months after I turned 21 due to being on a college student budget, and having gone broke buying my first handgun and a box of ammo. There's no cities up here that prohibit open carry since it would be preempted anyway, especially with the recent ruling on the Seattle parks gun ban being illegal, as well as the WA supreme court ruling on the 2nd amendment.

In terms of law enforcement and people who aren't "hip to the jive" so to speak, there's ways to handle it. Most departments have been brought up to speed. There have been a few instances where an overzealous LEO detained someone and confiscated their firearm, but it was returned after the sergeant told them to get off their high horse and that OC is legal. That officer was probably well-educated by his superiors after that.

The only place that's given me grief is Costco, so I don't go there any more. Otherwise, 7-11, Safeway, Starbucks, various gas stations, Walgreens and gun shops don't say anything, and I've only had positive interaction with people who were simply curious. I was able to educate them on the laws and they walked away having had a positive interaction with an armed citizen.

For me, it's simply personal preference of how I carry, with the added bonus of John Q. Public becoming accustomed to knowing that law abiding citizens carry firearms too.

To reiterate: This post isn't to say that any method of carry is better than another. It's simply my personal perspective on things that MountainBear had pointed out. I don't are how others carry, just CARRY! :s0155:

The laws in WA aren't that complex. Some of us who OC in WA keep a printout of all of Title 9 Chapter 41 of the RCW. If my dang printer worked, I'd do it too! But there's only one law that really matters, and I can cite it pretty well.
Oh snap! I do that too. I thought I was the only one. I walk around with a folded up copy of ORS 166 in my wallet with the relevant parts to open carry and concealed carry highlighted in bold.

I think we have waaaay to many laws. When the ignorance of the law is no excuse was established there were not so many laws a person needed to know.

+1 on too many laws when we're supposed to know them. So many that a lot of people will tell you the best investment you can make for self defense is to go pay a self defense lawyer for their time so they can tell you the state laws on it and answer any questions so you don't end up screwed.

I have a son in 5th grade. I pick him up from school every day. Sitting in my truck off school grounds. I can not carry ON school grounds. If I have to go on the grounds, I lock it in my truck and make the trip onto the grounds as quickly as I can. After all my years of IWB carry and keeping my nose clean, I have a BIG FEAR of loosing my right to carry because of doing something which may F it up. I really try hard to be within the law. Sometimes I REALLY DON'T LIKE TO leave my firearm locked away, but I do it. This is what I do. 1 felony ( which isn't that hard to get) would STRIP ME of my right to bare arms. "LEGALLY". No firearm areas make for HARD decisions. :(

I assume you are not in Oregon then? In Oregon we can conceal carry in public schools...

Here in Tacoma. Also, the Ignorance of the law is no excuse, thing, makes me a little nervous. What new law did they pass today? Can I carry here or not? Seems like I hear new shi- on TV about this every other day. :(

2nd week UPDATE. :s0155:

Its been a bit cool around here so not a lot of exposure this week. Coat on. Outside carrying and I know the end of the holster has stuck out from the lower edge of my coat. No questions or comments from Joe public yet. As the weather gets better I WILL have a chance to OPEN CARRY . I plan on giving updates each week all year long so I hope the mods don't mind.? :) I hope you guys and gals don't get sick of me ether. :)
Dave

PS. I have a need for a Black OWB holster for a full size 1911 and have a IWB holster to trade for 1, listed in the Parts for sale forum. Keep me in mind if you have one you would like to get rid of. :) Thanks.

Holster SOLD Pending funds. Thank you.

keep posting tattoo, i for one am very interested where this experiment will end up. ( no offense implyed for calling it an experiment) best regards, jimmy

No offense taken. :) In a way, Yes this is an experiment. If it leads to BAD things then it will have to end. (I don't see that as happening tho) Spring and summer will see me and my Colt 1911 probably more than anyone has ever seen one before. I want to be the "Oh yea, thats the guy that carries a Colt" guy. He is just showing that not all guns and the guys that carry them are bad guys. Hes a good guy. Thats what I want to hear. In my face and behind my back.
Maybe, Maybe not. I'll see.
I will be back.
Dave

Makes me wonder. The OP's choice of gun for his experiment is a pretty nice, fancy-looking pistol. I wonder if that makes it more or less likely to create a positive experience. Do people think, "if someone is up to no good, no way would they so openly carry such a conspicuous gun!" and thus assume he's alright. Or are they just more likely to notice the gun is there at all and then react however they see fit after that? Would the results be different if it were a more subtle pistol in a more subtle holster?

I think the Cloths you have on, the gun and holster, and your general appearance will make a difference in how people will react to you. If you look like a thug packin a gun then you are more likely to be introduced to Mr Police officer. I think age is a factor also. I went into my local store today and up to the pharmacy, that 1911 in my holster on my hip,(super obvious) hair shortly cut, shirt tucked in and clean shaven (around me beard) and was met with a big smile. Pleasant transaction with them and out the door I went. I really don't want to try this all scruffy lookin. Its that 1st impression thing that people notice and react to. JMHO.
Dave

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads