JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
I live on the Long Beach penninsula in WA. I'm a disabled woman, living alone in the woods, at the end of a dirt road in a dead end neighborhood, in ocean Park.
There have been problems in my area and I'm not certain I can defend myself properly
I just need some tips on defending my home

Hi, welcome to the forum.
We are not lawyers (most of us) so anything read here should not be taken as legal advice.
First off, it is important that you should know the laws for where you live. Are you a gun owner? Do you have a dog? Do you have video cameras at the front door or elsewhere? Alarm system? Outside lighting? There are lots of things to consider. Do you know any of your neighbors? If so, are they reliable? What are your thoughts on defending your self at home?

I'd look into ways you can make your entryways a little more secure if you haven't already. It likely wont stop a determined individual, but it will give you time to get somewhere you can call 911. Having a loud dog is a good thing. Bad guys will square off with armed police, but almost always run from dogs. If you have a firearm or feel comfortable with owning one, make sure you keep it accessible. I keep one on me all the time so I don't have to worry about someone getting between me and my gun.

You mention a disability. There are great trainers who can give you a realistic idea of how a fight will be for someone in your condition. They will also help you with the legal aspects that can be in your favor if you end up shooting someone. What is objectively reasonable for a fit person is different than someone who is vulnerable.

Cane Corso - Price, Temperament, Life span

BIG DOG! Nothing says stay away like a big Fur Missile with Teeth!

Welcome aboard! ;)
Just leave this on the front lawn. Get a suitable bone from a butcher shop, and old shoe from a passed out bum on the corner (who will now be called "Wille no-shoe" by his bum buddies) and you're all set.

1586577411515.png

dogs are awesome alarm systems but arnt an instant fix it takes months for them to grow up or to bond and train and big dogs sometimes are not the best idea for somebody with disabilities, id look into an alram system and securing points of entry and or lighting. Guns are great hd but again unless its avail and you are compotent with it they are just feel good tools, that bieng said i think every body should have at least one.

Rarely do I comment on threads here, but I read most of them. My heart goes out to you, as I can understand you may be facing a lot of uncertainty. The good news is that right now by planning and asking yourself what needs to improve you are engaged in protecting your home. You've picked a great forum, where people will offer great suggestions and get you started in the right direction. In the mean time, trust your instinct and be encouraged that you'll have what you need to protect your home and stay safe should anything happen.

The above mentioned idea of getting a dog is a wonderful quick way to give you added security. If it's a short term need, you may find someone you know who could allow you to "babysit" theirs, otherwise there are many wonderful dogs now being rejected by families that will no longer care for them. Research breeds to see what you can handle. Some are not bright in the area of alerting their homeowners at late hours, but most are very good.

First thing I would suggest is moving. I mean no offense, but I wouldn't make any other recommendations without more info.

BTW, welcome to NWFA.

So many variables here its hard to advise. Based on what youve mentioned... and what you can afford to invest, ideally a camer/security system might be all you need. If you cant afford that a gun might be an option but with that comes training, regular practice and understanding of laws of using deadly force. Ideally, you dont want to need a gun, they are a last resort tool.

-get a friend/ handyman/ relative to install deadbolts on all exterior doors.
- also have them install longer (like 3") screws into the strike plates of your doors. Both these will make it harder to kick in a door.
- purchase a few motion-activated floodlights. These can be battery operated, or hardwired in. Not very expensive and well worth it. Put one above each primary door, and along any obvious areas that a trespasser would need to travel along (example...a gate leading to back yard).
- talk with neighbors, get their phone numbers, put them on speed dial.
-tell the cops your concerns, ask about their 911 response times.
-don't be a target...remove all items from inside vehicles, close blinds/drapes, leave a few lights on.
-if you feel the need to be armed, get some training.

Good luck. People suck.

Hi, Well, I don't own a gun or a dog, neither do I have any kind of surveilence. I'm on 6.4 acres. The property is retangular and surrounded by a Forrest that turns into marshy wetlands. The property has a long driveway. To the left is a shop and my apt that's built on the very end of a pole building to the left where the driveway ends. On the right is another large shop then my landlord's part time summer home. She is only out here 3 or 4 times a year, so I'm alone most of the time. The only alarm system that is turned on is the one to her house. It's monitored by AAA and North Beach security, mine is not activated. The entire section of dirt road is usually really dark. All of the buildings on the property have motion sensor flood lights. I know a few of my neighbors and the closest ones are reliable, they are.2 miles up the road.
Rarely do I comment on threads here, but I read most of them. My heart goes out to you, as I can understand you may be facing a lot of uncertainty. The good news is that right now by planning and asking yourself what needs to improve you are engaged in protecting your home. You've picked a great forum, where people will offer great suggestions and get you started in the right direction. In the mean time, trust your instinct and be encouraged that you'll have what you need to protect your home and stay safe should anything happen.

The above mentioned idea of getting a dog is a wonderful quick way to give you added security. If it's a short term need, you may find someone you know who could allow you to "babysit" theirs, otherwise there are many wonderful dogs now being rejected by families that will no longer care for them. Research breeds to see what you can handle. Some are not bright in the area of alerting their homeowners at late hours, but most are very good.

-get a friend/ handyman/ relative to install deadbolts on all exterior doors.
- also have them install longer (like 3") screws into the strike plates of your doors. Both these will make it harder to kick in a door.
- purchase a few motion-activated floodlights. These can be battery operated, or hardwired in. Not very expensive and well worth it. Put one above each primary door, and along any obvious areas that a trespasser would need to travel along (example...a gate leading to back yard).
- talk with neighbors, get their phone numbers, put them on speed dial.
-tell the cops your concerns, ask about their 911 response times.
-don't be a target...remove all items from inside vehicles, close blinds/drapes, leave a few lights on.
-if you feel the need to be armed, get some training.

Good luck. People suck.
If I could afford to buy a gun for protection, I would already be armed

So many variables here its hard to advise. Based on what youve mentioned... and what you can afford to invest, ideally a camer/security system might be all you need. If you cant afford that a gun might be an option but with that comes training, regular practice and understanding of laws of using deadly force. Ideally, you dont want to need a gun, they are a last resort tool.
Well, since I have 0 income while fighting for my ssd, I need not worry about any of those options, since I have no income i can't buy anything

Well, since I have 0 income while fighting for my ssd, I need not worry about any of those options, since I have no income i can't buy anything

ok thats helpful to know... its limiting you certainly. In this case I would give your local police a call and express your concerns and ask them questions on response time to your home, and if they can increase routine patrols in your area and include even up your driveway (with your permission) as needed. Open a door of communication with the police, get to know them.
Second make certain your phone is always available, charged if a cell phone. Note: all old cell phones WILL call 911 without a service plan or activation, keep them charged in various rooms.

as far as securing the house without money to invest in a security system, my imagination escapes me... maybe someone can chime in with some tricks and hacks like placing noisemakers at entry points that fall when someone comes in. If you have distant neighbors, get to know them... if they have an issue let them know to call you if they run some suspicious person off.

I agree with Ura-Ki. Plus, signs all the way around that says "My dog poops DNA" or similar#. Also their are signs that read like "If you can read this, you are in range". If after all that, you hear glass break in your home, a comfortable firearm of your choosing and ability will finish any unfinished buisiness. I was afraid for my life. I'm a non attournied opinionist.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads