JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
A Good Labrador or any of the Retrievers would make a most excellent multi purpose dog, both as protection ( they are known to be extremely protective, and they have the tools and know how to use them) AND they also make the best service dogs for those with disabilities, they are very easy to train, can be trained to do very complex tasks and lastly, they are great big lovers, who's only happiness in life is to please you, that and a tennis ball!
Or, you could get a Newfoundland and have an even bigger and extraordinarily strong companion who are even more protective then the Retrievers!
I have two Newfoundlands, and now, and a Malinois who is shaping up to be quite the smarty!

Welcome to the forum!

Have you used a camp axe or a 'hawk or even a FIXED BLADE knife much?

Since you may not be able to afford a gun at this time according to your one post - I think that learning to use a quality made axe (ESTWING or another brand.) or a 'hawk (SOG or another brand.) or a quality made but not super expensive fixed blade knife would be a good suggestion for you.

I do not know what your disability is but I am older (69) and have HAND arthritis and I sometimes use a cane on and off due to my neck and back issues. Old accident - bad fall. Broken bones and nerve damage. (I no longer shoot handguns but I am very good with the above items and using a simple rifle too.)

You mentioned disability and waiting on that issue.

I do not know how disability works in some specific cases or how long it takes to get SS disability. I never applied for it for myself. My late husband died of cancer at barely 56 years old and he never got one cent from SS since they delayed his FIRST appointment even though he was dying and he died fairly fast once the cancer was discovered.

Good luck there and I hope that it goes smoothly for you.

Do you have a simple carpenter/house hammer, a screwdriver, a baseball bat, any other simple TOOL in your house or a good meat carving or kitchen knife that you handle well? What about a basic pitchfork that you can buy at a farm or big box store?

A dog is a great idea to ALERT YOU but if you are on a limited budget even a FREE puppy or grown dog - dog pound or shelter dog will need VET check ups, food, training at ANY age, etc. and you would have to be willing to take it on walks for exercise, train it to be on a LEASH, train it to listen/obey your commands, keep an eye on it for puppy chewing, tinkle/poop accidents, etc. especially if you rent and IF you are 'allowed' to have a pet in your home. Landlord approval.

Will your landlord help secure your home a little better since you are there all of the time and she/he hardly visits the premises and other building?

Will the landlord HOOK up security in your home since the other part of the building has it there already?

Do you own a HEAVY DUTY flashlight that many police or military people own for solid good lighting should something happen to your lights? They work as a self defense tool due to their weight too.

I would always KEEP one light turned on (Bare minimum.) inside of your home, close your curtains when it gets dark out, play the radio (Talk or music.) or have the boob tube tuned on, prop UP a wooden chair in front of your front or back doors however your floor plan works for you, keep a few tools around your home for security - see above, and always be aware of your surroundings as best as you can.

Talk or communicate with your few neighbors and the sheriff's department on and off about your concerns. Most of the time, you will have a long response time for a deputy especially in a large county and at night. (Been there - done that in my former state - township. 45 MINUTES!)

Best wishes to you.

Sincerely,

Catherine aka Cate

PS: Some dog pounds aka dog shelters offer FREE DOGS - adult dogs and puppies to disabled and senior citizens. Some people offer puppies and dogs for FREE to a good home too.

But you would still have an expense ($$$) there even though you will have companionship and an ALERT SYSTEM via the good puppy or adult dog. I already mentioned that above.

Plus you would have to be willing to WORK with the dog in all areas of training with lots of love and patience. Can you physically do that or would it be too difficult for you? That is something that only you can answer due to your own issues.

Take care.

Cate

Have you discussed with your landlord about either turning on the alarm in your space or maybe footing the bill for some additional deadbolt locks? It would be an investment for her and peace of mind for you.
Yes, I have done all of those things, it's too expensive to get this building turned on. She looked into it.

PS: Some dog pounds aka dog shelters offer FREE DOGS - adult dogs and puppies to disabled and senior citizens. Some people offer puppies and dogs for FREE to a good home too.

But you would still have an expense ($$$) there even though you will have companionship and an ALERT SYSTEM via the good puppy or adult dog. I already mentioned that above.

Plus you would have to be willing to WORK with the dog in all areas of training with lots of love and patience. Can you physically do that or would it be too difficult for you? That is something that only you can answer due to your own issues.

Take care.

Cate
I have idiopathic anaphylaxis and a chronic condition from having too many anaphylactic attacks. One of the complications is an allergy related heart arrythmia. My heart and lungs start to fill with fluid and shut down when I have these severe allergic reactions. A rise in body temperature seems to bring these reactions on.

Welcome to the forum!

Have you used a camp axe or a 'hawk or even a FIXED BLADE knife much?

Since you may not be able to afford a gun at this time according to your one post - I think that learning to use a quality made axe (ESTWING or another brand.) or a 'hawk (SOG or another brand.) or a quality made but not super expensive fixed blade knife would be a good suggestion for you.

I do not know what your disability is but I am older (69) and have HAND arthritis and I sometimes use a cane on and off due to my neck and back issues. Old accident - bad fall. Broken bones and nerve damage. (I no longer shoot handguns but I am very good with the above items and using a simple rifle too.)

You mentioned disability and waiting on that issue.

I do not know how disability works in some specific cases or how long it takes to get SS disability. I never applied for it for myself. My late husband died of cancer at barely 56 years old and he never got one cent from SS since they delayed his FIRST appointment even though he was dying and he died fairly fast once the cancer was discovered.

Good luck there and I hope that it goes smoothly for you.

Do you have a simple carpenter/house hammer, a screwdriver, a baseball bat, any other simple TOOL in your house or a good meat carving or kitchen knife that you handle well? What about a basic pitchfork that you can buy at a farm or big box store?

A dog is a great idea to ALERT YOU but if you are on a limited budget even a FREE puppy or grown dog - dog pound or shelter dog will need VET check ups, food, training at ANY age, etc. and you would have to be willing to take it on walks for exercise, train it to be on a LEASH, train it to listen/obey your commands, keep an eye on it for puppy chewing, tinkle/poop accidents, etc. especially if you rent and IF you are 'allowed' to have a pet in your home. Landlord approval.

Will your landlord help secure your home a little better since you are there all of the time and she/he hardly visits the premises and other building?

Will the landlord HOOK up security in your home since the other part of the building has it there already?

Do you own a HEAVY DUTY flashlight that many police or military people own for solid good lighting should something happen to your lights? They work as a self defense tool due to their weight too.

I would always KEEP one light turned on (Bare minimum.) inside of your home, close your curtains when it gets dark out, play the radio (Talk or music.) or have the boob tube tuned on, prop UP a wooden chair in front of your front or back doors however your floor plan works for you, keep a few tools around your home for security - see above, and always be aware of your surroundings as best as you can.

Talk or communicate with your few neighbors and the sheriff's department on and off about your concerns. Most of the time, you will have a long response time for a deputy especially in a large county and at night. (Been there - done that in my former state - township. 45 MINUTES!)

Best wishes to you.

Sincerely,

Catherine aka Cate
I'm so sorry about your husband. My condolences

Dogs are expensive to feed train and care for . Dogs take lots of attention and devoted time as they have minds. Most people shouldn't have dogs.

Dogs are expensive to feed train and care for . Dogs take lots of attention and devoted time as they have minds. Most people shouldn't have dogs.
Vet bills add up fast, just for regular maintenance for dogs with zero genetic disorders.
I bought my first gun by working for minimum wage for a few months when I was 15-16. It was a priority for me then and now to be able to direct my fate a bit.

Welcome to NWFA it sounds like you need some help if you can't afford anything to secure your home. My suggestion would be to reach out to a friend who is married and see if they can come over to help you.

I also really like the idea of opening up your communication lines with your local leo's. Good luck.

Welcome to NWFA...

Tough situation you have for sure.....Best advice I have here is :

Don't over think this....you can worry and or What IF yourself to death....

Make what you have on hand work for you....

Vary your routine...

Clear up your yard and entry point...
No bushes near a door and the like....have lights on over the doors...

Pay attention to your surroundings....Its your house and yard...you should know what should be there and what seems wrong or out of place...

Surely you have a friend who can drop by from time to time....
Maybe , even if they can't stay long...have them park their car at your home at various times , so it appears that you have company / are not alone....
Andy

I'd go to the next gun buyback and buy a single shot shotgun for $20. And or make a sign saying I need money for a gun and hang out at the nearest intersection.
This does assume you have the proper training and mindset to field such an arm.

A Master Lock 265D Door Security Bar (about $20 from Amazon) can give you some peace of mind at night.

A few domestic geese for early warnings are less expensive than dogs. Do your research to determine if this choice is right for you. Geese do require a night shelter and a fenced area along with vet visits but are cheaper than dogs and provide eggs and meat.

Make what you have on hand work for you...
Good advice.
Most improvements cost money, but some can be had pretty cheaply or at no cost.

Broomstick(s) shoved into sliding window and/or door tracks.

A simple wooden wedge under the door(s).

A sraight-backed chair under a doorknob.

Crazy-bright led lighting around the house left on during dark hours.

Curtains closed, lights on, also during dark hours... manually-set timers are pretty cheap, but not necessary.

A vehicle that gets moved daily.

Other externally visable signs of life.

Trimming large shrubs around windows and doors. Also thorny plants under windows.

Establish lines of communication with neighbors and law enforcement (as previously mentioned).

Last Edited:
ok thats helpful to know... its limiting you certainly. In this case I would give your local police a call and express your concerns and ask them questions on response time to your home, and if they can increase routine patrols in your area and include even up your driveway (with your permission) as needed. Open a door of communication with the police, get to know them.
Second make certain your phone is always available, charged if a cell phone. Note: all old cell phones WILL call 911 without a service plan or activation, keep them charged in various rooms.

as far as securing the house without money to invest in a security system, my imagination escapes me... maybe someone can chime in with some tricks and hacks like placing noisemakers at entry points that fall when someone comes in. If you have distant neighbors, get to know them... if they have an issue let them know to call you if they run some suspicious person off.
I'm being stalked by my ex, who also is a neighbor about 1/2 a mile up the road. While doing my spring cleaning a few days ago I discovered a well hidden axe on the side of the bed that he slept on when he was over here. I also discovered a hammer on the other side of the room near where he slept.
I'd look into ways you can make your entryways a little more secure if you haven't already. It likely wont stop a determined individual, but it will give you time to get somewhere you can call 911. Having a loud dog is a good thing. Bad guys will square off with armed police, but almost always run from dogs. If you have a firearm or feel comfortable with owning one, make sure you keep it accessible. I keep one on me all the time so I don't have to worry about someone getting between me and my gun.

You mention a disability. There are great trainers who can give you a realistic idea of how a fight will be for someone in your condition. They will also help you with the legal aspects that can be in your favor if you end up shooting someone. What is objectively reasonable for a fit person is different than someone who is vulnerable.
My disability is a bit different than most. It is a chronic condition that affects my heart and lungs from too many prolonged anaphylactic attacks. My stalker carries a gun

Good advice.
Most improvements cost money, but some can be had pretty cheaply or at no cost.

Broomstick(s) shoved into sliding window and/or door tracks.

A simple wooden wedge under the door(s).

A sraight-backed chair under a doorknob.

Crazy-bright led lighting around the house left on during dark hours.

Curtains closed, lights on, also during dark hours... manually-set timers are pretty cheap, but not necessary.

A vehicle that gets moved daily.

Other externally visable signs of life.

Trimming large shrubs around windows and doors. Also thorny plants under windows.

Establish lines of communication with neighbors and law enforcement (as previously mentioned).
Pretty much, I guess those are my answers. One day I came home to a shattered window. He doesn't care how much noise he makes. He's been known walk around the neighborhood screaming that he's going to kill the last person that he saw dropping me off or whatever he conjurs up in his imagination.

Pretty much, I guess those are my answers. One day I came home to a shattered window. He doesn't care how much noise he makes. He's been known walk around the neighborhood screaming that he's going to kill the last person that he saw dropping me off or whatever he conjurs up in his imagination.
Do you have a fishing boat?

just kidding

I'm being stalked by my ex, who also is a neighbor about 1/2 a mile up the road. While doing my spring cleaning a few days ago I discovered a well hidden axe on the side of the bed that he slept on when he was over here. I also discovered a hammer on the other side of the room near where he slept.

My disability is a bit different than most. It is a chronic condition that affects my heart and lungs from too many prolonged anaphylactic attacks. My stalker carries a gun
There's only one entry. And it's just a rectangular apt on the end of a pole building.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads