JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
the warning shot is a very bad idea indeed. I find it funny that Vancouver is even in the conversation. I grew up there and cannot recall an "ghettos". In fact all I remember as far as "bangers" is a bunch of white kids that would cry at the sight of a gun.

Situational awareness. Either you have it or you don't. Having been in downtown pdx at all times of night it still doesn't compare to any truly large city.

In a lot of cases being beaten by multiple people (mob attack) can be lethal force and you could have a good case for self defense/ protecting another's life or serious bodily harm. Either way I would not have pulled a firearm unless there was a weapon present or something being used as a weapon, ie. knife, skateboards, brass knuckles, bottles, or even feet can be considered a lethal weapon.
In that situation though even if you pulled a weapon unless you fired a shot or got close enough risk getting over taken and have your weapon used against you, they probably wouldn't stop.

I like the pepper spray idea. I'm going to have to add that to my car. I always have a handgun, but would almost never use it in a situation that wasn't an immediate threat to me or my family. Or someone else I guess, but it would depend on the situation.

So let me get this straight because you didn't have your gun, you refused to help.

How are you any different then the sheeple??( actually worse ) Thanks for letting us know that you can't be counted on when needed.

Doe you have kids?? Would you stand by and watch your kids get hurt because you didn't have a gun??

I understand not having for business reasons, but why is not at least in the car??

The guy who yelled "I called the cops" had it right. Mace could be your plan B. Pulling someone off and kicking the crap out of him if you can do that quickly - C. Pulling out a firearm to stop a fight is a very bad idea and wouldn't help anyone. If mine comes out, I'm shooting because my life is in danger.
I will not physically engage someone to pull apart a fight. Number one, if you are carrying, the gun is holstered. Number two, whoever you engage can pull a knife or other weapon and there you are, engaged / tangled up with a mean dog. As someone said earlier, there are a lot of drug crazed people on the streets in Portlandia. It's dicey enough shooting someone that is jacked up on drugs and expecting them to just tip over right away, let alone trying to wrestle one down. Definitely call 911 first, then it's on the police and you can go to sleep with a clear conscience. I do agree, the firearm comes out to protect ones own self, but be careful of how you engage from the start. Always keep a distance from the fracas, if it starts to move to you, and you can't disengage safely, then use the last resort.

Thanks for the input so far everyone. I'm self employed and the majority of my clients are downtown. Luckily I don't have to venture there too often.

Sounds like I need to add a non lethal means of defense to my EDC. What do you all recommend?

A cellphone.

Not trying to be coy, but in this instance it sounds like the best option. Not sure if I'd want to go into a 6-on-1 situation even with a firearm.

Situational awareness: acquire it, practice it.
While you're driving (look left, forward, right, forward, rearview, forward, repeat)
While you are shopping, do the same
While you are ETC...
Look near, look far.
Whenever possible, sit with your back to a wall, face the big picture.
When your alert senses tingle, move, go somewhere.

Do it always. It will become a habit
No more surprises

Situational awareness: acquire it, practice it.
While you're driving (look left, forward, right, forward, rearview, forward, repeat)
While you are shopping, do the same
While you are ETC...
Look near, look far.
Whenever possible, sit with your back to a wall, face the big picture.
When your alert senses tingle, move, go somewhere.

Do it always. It will become a habit
No more surprises
And then get out and go all berserk on the heathen?

What do you lack? Fill in those potholes!
I acquired the skills...and practice them

Situational awareness, 360 degree worldview, near and far.
I use my situational awareness to identify the issue
So I can reduce it:cool:

First Aid, CPR (as long as all that blood isn't mine)...:D
Range Safety Officer @ DRRC
EMT (expired)
Volunteer fire (expired)
Karate, Kung Fu (back when I was more flexible)
Marines (6 years)

I carry...
band aids in my wallet (fix the little ouches, distracts kids)
sharpened pocket knife
toenail clipper (not merely for toenails)
keys (little screwdriver, P38, etc)
neck dagger (slasher)
G27

I've prepared...My vehicles (5)
NV200 under driver's seats (secure my whatever)
compact first aid kits w Quick Klot
Tow straps
charging cables
compact tool kits with fuses, tape, etc
mags of extra ammo for G27
Moving blankets

With basic skills we make a difference.
We become the shepherds and sheep dogs the sheeple will flock to.
Oh yes, there's much more. but if you won't do the above, it wouldn't be worth my time to share.

If i want your opinion, i'l tell what it ought to be.
Can't fix everything, some stuff is only trash.
Perhaps your little tidbit missed the mark or you didn't bother to read. It was/is not an issue/question of being aware, but one of effecting action or not regarding a fellow citizen being beaten to death.

What would you have done in a similar situation? And please, no Rambo responses. Be serious.

The lesson I learned is carry always, everywhere, all the time. Even around the anti-gunners, if they don't appreciate the fact I choose to protect myself and my kin, then I don't need their business. That could have been me jumped by these kids...

Thoughts?

I would mind my own business. If you wish to call me a "sheeple" please feel free to do so. I like all of the things I own, I like being a free man and I like spending my money on my family and myself rather than handing it over to attorneys. You are probably lucky you didn't have a weapon with you because it sounds like you might have stopped and used it and we would be talking about raising money to get you out of jail.

The most, and I mean the very most, I would have done was to call 9-1-1 on my cell and report it. That is what the cops are for. I carry to protect myself and my family. I have done my share for my fellow man over the last forty years and I will not place myself, my family, my families well being or even my possessions in jeopardy for strangers. My brother tried to break up a fight similar to the one you describe in a Home Depot parking lot in Southern California. He was rewarded by have a gun pulled on him and his life nearly extinguished.

Mind your own business.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads