JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hahahaha. People making Portland sound like downtown Bagdad. It isn't nearly that bad. I'm not saying go unarmed if you so choose, but please.

As for the OP, only you can decide what you should do and what repercussions you're willing to deal with. Beware those street kids with knives and other weapons if you choose to intervene. Or them ganging up on you. But there is something to be said for sucker punching a few punks and leaving the scene quickly.

Or I'm just an a s s h o l e.

I'd likely reason with the aggressors, ask them how their home-life was growing up..? How did they end up here hurting their knuckles on this woman's head?... What did the world do to them to bring to this point. Offer to buy them Starbucks and talk about it.. I think this would diffuse the situation... o_O

I don't need a gun for stuff like that - a 2x4 or any random solid object and the look on my face should work out ok.

I'm one of the dumb ones that would have jumped into the fray. My parents taught me to respect and protect women.

Thanks for the input so far everyone. I'm self employed and the majority of my clients are downtown. Luckily I don't have to venture there too often.

Sounds like I need to add a non lethal means of defense to my EDC. What do you all recommend?
http://www.sabrered.com/servlet/the-SABRE-Red-Pepper-Sprays/Categories
This stuff works for me. Yes windage is factor. Every situation is different and any one of us would react differently depending on the event. Some may rambo out or some would pray. It also depends on your training.

Sounds like your own post answered the question. The most amount of force needed was verbal. Someone yelled " I called the police" ended the attack. I think you would be hard pressed to articulate and defend introducing a firearm into that particular situation.

Good time to begin to formulate a plan
Layers of defense, what's available, what do you know?
What you don't know CAN get you killed.
Make this gun thing your most important hobby.
Compete in USPSA, 3-Gun, 22 Rimfire Challenge,
Call for help, yell fire
Retreat
Pepper spray
Keys between knuckles (punch, rake)
Blade (box cutter, knife)
CCW (find a better way to conceal)
A lock box under your car seat
In a brief case, tool box, hide gun in a Sneaky Pete

I carry pepper spray. So I would yell stop or I'm going to spray you with pepper spray.
I would not use deadly force because I wouldn't want to explain that in court. But if it was my life, ummm yeah, I'd use deadly force if I had no other choice. Plus I have personal insurance so in a self-defense situation, I'm covered. Assuming it was justified and deadly force had to be used to protect my own life.
I'm sorry but I'm not gonna put my behind on the line for someone that isn't family or really close friend. I used to feel differently, but not anymore. Okay maybe you could add a child to the family and friends list too.

I'm glad you learned your lesson..... always carry!

If a lock box is too expensive, I have used a Kryptonite chain in a tube bike lock around a sturdy part of the rear seat frame and through the trigger guard. This chain is massive, it will barely go through a trigger guard and the lock is equally strong.
To those who want to go all Rambo on this type of jerks I sympathize! These people are bully's and generally cowards. Quickly kick the crap out of one and, most often, the others will flee. If not repeat as necessary. Two things about that:
1- I'm too old to do that stuff anymore!
2- These days you are probably going to get arrested and sued!
Actually three things:
3- These days you are also most likely to encounter weapons, something that was rare, say, twenty years ago! YMMV!

Thanks for the input so far everyone. I'm self employed and the majority of my clients are downtown. Luckily I don't have to venture there too often.

Sounds like I need to add a non lethal means of defense to my EDC. What do you all recommend?

Generally, the amount of force necessary to stop a situation like this is considered "reasonable" and "justified".

LEO's are kitted/trained with various levels of force ranging from projecting a "command voice/presence" (lowest level of force, and most desirable), to a striking weapon, taser, chemical sprays, bean-bag rounds, knives, and full-on bullets (highest level of force, least desirable).

I have added a collapsible baton to my EDC, and Spyderco (clone) to cover those situations between "command voice/presence" and "deadly force". From the situation you described, coming up from behind them while they're all focused on the woman, with a good smack on the back of the thigh would have temporarily immobilized them and kept them from going back at her (or even standing) when you pulled the next one off.... Rinse, repeat.

No permanent damage, you get their FULL attention and most likely their compliance, and you stop a potentially deadly assault with the "reasonable" and "justified" force required.

Hahahaha. People making Portland sound like downtown Bagdad. It isn't nearly that bad. I'm not saying go unarmed if you so choose, but please.

As for the OP, only you can decide what you should do and what repercussions you're willing to deal with. Beware those street kids with knives and other weapons if you choose to intervene. Or them ganging up on you. But there is something to be said for sucker punching a few punks and leaving the scene quickly.

Or I'm just an a s s h o l e.
Hey, you just watch yer perty little mouth, mister.
I was down there about a year ago and, swear to God.!. repent with your lame mouthings

zombie_walk+portland.jpg

A collapsible baton of good quality should be effective. Which is why many cities prohibit them. :rolleyes: IIRC Seattle does, not sure about Portland.

A cane however, preferably of stout hickory, would be effective too, not prohibitable and something that you could argue was not a weapon.

I think the very best option is to tattoo your face all up and have those big shamalama bing bong plates in your ears and bottom lip. A tactical wheelbarrow is laughable when compared to a kitted out shopping cart too.

So here's a question;

is there possibly a place in this situation for a warning shot to be fired?

Gunshots are loud and they tend to get people's undivided attention. Putting a round into a tree or other suitable, safe backstop while maintaining a safe distance from the perps might at least get them to stop their hostile action towards the victim since a gunshot is a virtual guarantee that the police will be arriving forthwith.

Thoughts?

The main cop station is like two blocks from there.. I wouldn't be doing any warning shots.. though of course it'd be hard for me to leave that lady to her beating/death.

Warning shots are almost always a bad idea - especially in the city.

Even if you manage to not endanger someone with the shot, you will most likely be arrested for shooting the gun when you didn't need to, and probably charged with being "reckless" in some fashion or "endangering".

Just don't do it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top