JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok ok ok... its definitely my fault. Just not sure why in the fork it happened. Kinda long story, but I know you all can enjoy some chuckles at the expense of my tom foolery.

So I recently took my son out shooting. I decided it was a handgun only day for me and i took out a couple of my favorite strikers. One of which I was having an issue with on the last outing where I wasn't getting last round hold open. *many of you already know whats coming 🤣* This time I took some extra mags to try to work through the issue.

I started with that gun and same mag from last time and same thing happened. No hold open. Tried two other mags and same result. Disassembled and found nothing wrong. Decided to set it aside for a bit and move to another while I thought through things. Wouldn't you know it... now this one is doing it too! What in the world is happening!?

I set my things aside and decided to step back and just enjoy watching my son. Going through various possibilities in my head it finally dawned on me... I must be riding the slide release... durp 🤦‍♂️. Now, I may not be the best shooter out there, but I'm pretty proficient and usually very disciplined, especially with my own tools. Never once have I had this happen in my time of owning and/or shooting handguns. I'm still not exactly sure how I managed to change my grip to the point where I was causing a malfunction on multiple weapons. Once I realized what was happening I could intentionally ride the slide, but I could no longer have it happen from the draw. Ultimately, after I got myself sorted out, it was a good reminder for me and a good learning moment for my son to not get lazy and/or overly confident. Focus on the fundamentals and train, train, train.

So now to you all... This experience got me wondering if anyone else has had a bizarre moment in which, as an experienced shooter, some aspect of your shooting went full ree-ree completely out of nowhere?

Ok ok ok... its definitely my fault. Just not sure why in the fork it happened. Kinda long story, but I know you all can enjoy some chuckles at the expense of my tom foolery.

So I recently took my son out shooting. I decided it was a handgun only day for me and i took out a couple of my favorite strikers. One of which I was having an issue with on the last outing where I wasn't getting last round hold open. *many of you already know whats coming 🤣* This time I took some extra mags to try to work through the issue.

I started with that gun and same mag from last time and same thing happened. No hold open. Tried two other mags and same result. Disassembled and found nothing wrong. Decided to set it aside for a bit and move to another while I thought through things. Wouldn't you know it... now this one is doing it too! What in the world is happening!?

I set my things aside and decided to step back and just enjoy watching my son. Going through various possibilities in my head it finally dawned on me... I must be riding the slide release... durp 🤦‍♂️. Now, I may not be the best shooter out there, but I'm pretty proficient and usually very disciplined, especially with my own tools. Never once have I had this happen in my time of owning and/or shooting handguns. I'm still not exactly sure how I managed to change my grip to the point where I was causing a malfunction on multiple weapons. Once I realized what was happening I could intentionally ride the slide, but I could no longer have it happen from the draw. Ultimately, after I got myself sorted out, it was a good reminder for me and a good learning moment for my son to not get lazy and/or overly confident. Focus on the fundamentals and train, train, train.

So now to you all... This experience got me wondering if anyone else has had a bizarre moment in which, as an experienced shooter, some aspect of your shooting went full ree-ree completely out of nowhere?
Had that happen with my G42. Subcompact pistols don't have a lot of real estate to start with, so riding the slide lock lever is something you have to watch out for.

So, it finally dawned on you that there was...

...thumb thing wrong. :s0112:

Glad you fingered it out!
You know what? It's new nursery-rhyme time!

Ol' Fatal, his wife prenatal took his son years out from the cradle shootin' one day.

Ol' Fatal, his thumb like a soup ladle declared with tears in his eye, "hey look son, helluva slide-rider am I"!

:s0108:

Last Edited:
I have issues with Gen 4 and 5 Glocks. My thumbs naturally go to the little shelf and under recoil, even with 9mm's, my thumbs hit the mag release. It's not good when your magazine drops loose after 5 or 6 shots!
With my Gen 3's and earlier with their shorter (front to back) mag release it's not a problem.

TL;DR

what are the cliff notes?

Note: Cliff was a USPS letter carrier who often pontificated utter spew.

IMG_1791.jpeg

I'm not that far in my grip development. My natural grip I haven't experienced that though. I should be practicing more.

I feel the head banging though…

Glad you're working through it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews