JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Go for it.
more local places will buy and cross state selling and high prices will cease.

Another affect it will have on me is to make me even more acrimonious towards the Government.
2020 "COVID deaths": 346K in USA
Typical yearly gun deaths: 14K

Sooo, since our politicians are so interested in a "fair and just" world, when are they going to take punitive measures against China for killing 346K Americans? Never? Oh, well I guess if they aren't going to do that they may as well just keep crimping on us.

I have only bought rifles shotguns for the past 10/12 years online, better price no tax,

This is already in the process of going away. The Wayfair Decision. Amazon and Ebay have been charging state sales tax for a few years. Beginning this very day, Gun Broker has started charging state sales tax to some states.

I got the 3rd degree from my own bank! First, when I deposited that money, they questioned me where did I get it. I guess the Feds want to know?

Yes, this. Because the banking industry has been charged with monitoring transactions of cash. Including deposits of 10K and over. Bank of America asks me to show ID for a cash deposit of any amount. If I gave them a roll of pennies, they would ask for ID, no joke. If over 10K, there is paperwork to fill out. The object is to identify laundered money.

Eventually it will affect all regardless of whether you buy online or not, also whether you are a buyer, seller or manufacturer.
People just don't make things for grins, nor to please you. Manufactures will cease to produce if volume and profits don't pencil out. Brick and mortar stores can no longer take up the slack, even without the pandemic limitations.

Yes, this is likely. A stifling of newly-manufactured commerce. The commerce in existing material would continue until "they" simply banned sales of firearms altogether. It will be interesting to see how it goes with big concerns, like Vista Outdoor, Olin, etc. They would kick up some kind of stink. And remember, they are still needed to for making goods for police and military.

We're already seeing the larger, general retail store chains backing away from sales of firearms goods. The smaller dealers are the ones who will get hurt. Which I doubt a repressive government in this way would care much about. Those same people already lost at the polls so their vote isn't valued.

This is a situation where those who are Hell-bent on doing it have probably not only not thought through the economic ramifications, and if they had, they wouldn't care.

Firearms sales online have never been legal. Transfers are always through local dealers.
Sort of. Not really. I could be wrong but I've bought a lot of guns online. The LGS didn't own the firearm at any time, although they did have possession. My understanding:

Sales are legal online. Transfers are only legal via an FFL.

Sort of. Not really. I could be wrong but I've bought a lot of guns online. The LGS didn't own the firearm at any time, although they did have possession. My understanding:

As someone that has never purchased a gun online, my honest question is what is the difference between a sale and a transfer?

Firearms sales online have never been legal. Transfers are always through local dealers.

This is a basic fact that the gun-haters either don't know or ignore. My instinct is that most gun-hating politicians know; it's the voting general public who doesn't actually know.

Sometimes the stupidity of gun regs is astonishing but I really doubt that loophole would be left open.
The government agency you refered to has never been gifted with an overabundance of intelligence. Are they capable of monitoring the internet, telephone, even the mail? From what I see there are two sides to the atf one side are the heavy handed door kickers, the other are desk bound bureaucrats.

Do they have the budget for it? Executive orders are scary and all, but they don't seem to include funding.

As someone that has never purchased a gun online, my honest question is what is the difference between a sale and a transfer?

What you are seeing here is a combination of law makers talking out their butt, to sound good, and law makers who have no clue how gun laws work. There is no legal sales of gun by the net. Some law makers know this, and to sound good they talk about banning something that already is not happening legally. Some law makers are really so ignorant they think you really can buy a gun on the net. So no, they are not going to pass a law to stop this as what an online sale of the gun is, is just the gun being sent to a FFL, who then transfers it to the buyer with all the needed checks done.
Gun parts? This is a laugh too. Good luck getting these morons to be able to define a "gun part" so they can say no more sales. This too is bluster to sound good and or just stupidity.
Now ammo? That I am shocked we have been able to buy like this as long as we have. It was not long ago we could not and it will go back to the way it was. Now with the net it will just mean you order the ammo to an FFL and they let you pick it up from them. The FFL will of course get a cut for the work. The only people hurt by this would be those who live where they have no real competition. For those in this situation the solution will be to buy large amounts and travel to the nearest place there is a few dealers around. They will compete for the business.

A sale is a transfer of money. A transfer is a transfer of a gun. You do not actually buy a gun online. You pay someone to send a gun to a dealer who transfers it into his inventory then out to you on a 4473. There is no completed sale without a transfer. You fail the BGC no transfer. Sale is terminated. It doesnt happen often but occasionally someone fails the BGC and the seller refuses to refund money. Then it gets sticky. The dealer doesnt have to ( and really shouldnt ) transfer it to anyone else you know in your stead as the chances are high of a straw purchase at that point. And the dealer is under no obligation to make you whole. Point is there is no actual sale online. Its more on the dealer level than you realize.

This ain't no joke! In 2020 I tried to deposit $30K in cash to my bank. I had sold a lot of stuff on CL like my dirtbikes and quads and I wanted to payoff the loan on my car with it.

I got the 3rd degree from my own bank! First, when I deposited that money, they questioned me where did I get it. I guess the Feds want to know? Then, a few weeks later when I tried to use online transfer to clear my vehicle loan, they wanted me to go in person to do it. During pandemic. Had to make a special appointment to pay off my own car in person.

In the past, I have never had these experiences and yes I have moved lots of money before and had easier experiences in paying off my vehicles.

I'm sure it's the Feds trying to swing nuts. I don't think it's right they act like that, for a moment I kind of felt like a meth dealer or pimp the way they were asking me where I got my money.
Clooney had to go to some warehouse in a van in SF to get 14M in cash to give away..

I hope i'm not being redundant, IF such legislation should go through I would like to think that online orders would continue if the vendor has a brick and mortar business. That way they could tie into the online sales and say that they go through their store. Just sayin since there's so much we have to go through before anything like this hits the Royal Chambers where GOOD ideas go to die and BAD ones just sit and fester until someone gets a wild hair.

I'm betting cash money that at least Perdue holds onto the Senate seat and that even if he didnt there arent enough Democrats willing to lose their jobs for any gun control measures to pass through Congress and all of this would take an actual law and not just an EO..

Last Edited:
A sale is a transfer of money. A transfer is a transfer of a gun.
The transfer of money (the sale) is legal online. The transfer of possession of the firearm is not possible online, and only legal via an FFL.

A sale is a transfer of ownership. The ATF really doesn't give three sh*ts about that. The ATF cares about transfer of possession. When you buy a firearm online, ownership transfers to you, but transfer of possession occurs via an FFL.

The transfer of possession can be illegal with no money changing hands and no change of ownership. The ATF has a lot of info that's searchable, but the essence of the law is built around possession, not ownership.

This might seem silly but really it's a pretty clean line between what the gun laws care about and what they don't. For instance I have several firearms for sale on consignment at the LGS. When I consigned them, I did not sell them but I did relinquish possession. I own the guns, The LGS has possession. To get them back, I have to complete the appropriate papers and pay the BGC fee, just like the gun I own that's delivered to them from an online seller.

In either case, if for some reason I can't pass the BGC the guns are still my property.

Last Edited:
I'm betting cash money that at least Perdue holds onto the Senate seat and that even if he didnt there arent enough Democrats willing to lose their jobs for any gun control measures to pass through Congress and all of this would take an actual law and not just an EO..
I agree - for most of the stuff that we're being scaremongered with, such as adding 4 justices to the SCOTUS or massive new gun control laws, enough members of both parties come from moderate places where voting for such a thing would probably be political suicide. Anything can happen but I think your math is right on this.

Clooney had to go to some warehouse in a van in SF to get 14M in cash to give away..
At this point I am surprised the government doesn't just let us print money at home. Come on, I've got a mean laser printer, I can print lots of dollars

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top