JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The good news is the initial findings of the court case (Rhode vs Becerra) have found favorably that the law is unconstitutional. It is, of course, being challenged and nothing happens quickly with the courts. But it's good that there is already a case in the works on this, as we're that much further down the legal road if Biden does decide to do this.

States are forbidden from writing laws that impair interstate commerce because it is a Federal power to do the impairing. If a Federal law is passed, I don't know if this CA case is going to have much to say on the topic because that case would be addressing a state law, not a federal law.

I'm torn on this topic.

A) We don't need more firearms laws. The laws we have now have already gone far beyond what might be reasonable for public safety purposes and most are at this point, just a spear in a culture war, will have no impact on criminals' access to firearms, and only serve to get people jammed up on bureaucratic, confusing technicalities. Adding yet another useless law is a negative.

B) It is easier to control (and surveil) a single point than a massively distributed network of independent retailers. Online sales concentrate the market into a few players. Banning online sales would make it easier for local shops to exist, and the more independent sellers there are, the harder things are to control. I see that as positive.

C) Prices would rise but at the same time, it would take more people to do the work, so while ammo costs may be marginally higher, more people would be working. I see this as balanced between the positives and negatives.

D) As @P7M13 said -- ingenuity will kick in. There will be holes in this law. For example, maybe internet sales are not allowed, but what about telephone or fax orders (*)? Or maybe a LGS places the order for the customer and does local delivery -- "Uber Ammo" style. The positive I see in this is that it will demonstrate yet again how futile these laws are. What the antis want to do is repeal the 2A -- they should just go about it honestly and Constitutionally and until they do, we'll keep working around their stupid laws and making everything in their view worse. Ridiculous gun control laws are what spawned 80% stuff, and more recently, computer controlled 0% stuff. Seriously -- just keep pushing and gun lovers will eventually invent a Star Trek style replicator for the whole darn thing.

(*) This could be automated even -- scanable bubble filled faxed order forms, or voice systems -- "Hi, welcome to Lucky Gunner, please dial or say the item number you saw on our website. ...."

I like the warm and fuzzy feeling about supporting my LGS....but I also have to support my wallet. Buying online either gets me a better deal, or gets me something I can't find around here.

Besides, the big box stores will bogart the sales. This will be the bailout Bass Pro needs.

There's always reloading. ;-) I honestly buy very little ammo and when I do, it's usually for the brass (aside from 22s of course), so maybe my take on this proposed law is colored by that fact and should be taken with a few grains of salt.

As for the big box stores, many are getting out of the business. The nearest Cabelas to me is an hour drive and Bass Pro Shops 2-3 hours. I can't be the only one who'd chose to pay an extra cent or two per round close to home and save $20 in gas and half a day.

There's always reloading. ;-) I honestly buy very little ammo and when I do, it's usually for the brass (aside from 22s of course), so maybe my take on this proposed law is colored by that fact and should be taken with a few grains of salt.

As for the big box stores, many are getting out of the business. The nearest Cabelas to me is an hour drive and Bass Pro Shops 2-3 hours. I can't be the only one who'd chose to pay an extra cent or two per round close to home and save $20 in gas and half a day.

I live about 5 min from Cabelas, 30 min from Bass Pro, and 45 min from two Sportsmans Warehouses....I shop mostly at Sportco.

I feel like the internet is convenient and the big box stores are too. You buy your gun, fishin' pole, and a pack of fudge in one spot!

Right below that heading that states, "end the online sale of firearms and ammunitions", it also goes on to include "kits" and "gun parts".

The "gun parts" would be a huge problem for me. I buy my handguns and lowers at my LGS, but I use Aero Precision (WA) and Ballistic Advantage (FL) parts quite a bit, almost exclusively. Then there's my 6mm ARC... Finding 6mm ARC ammo locally is a no go to start with. That would force me into reloading I suppose.... If powder existed.

Last Edited:
Well since this is the country of big brain yanks and what with the tremendous growth of home delivery services, I'd fully expect to see small holding stores/warehouses materialize utilizing JIT inventory with home deliveries to fill the need.

giphy.gif

Has there been any proposals on how these bans would work? Will they ban shipping of the items. If the only access to these items is physically driving to the source of where the items are produced we are going to be in world of hurt.

Many types of specialty ammunition and firearms are available only on line.:confused: Retailers can only afford to stock what sells

I suppose I come off as indifferent to the online ban based on my post, but nothing could be further from the truth. I detest over-regulation and governmental over-reach.

My LGS is too small to floor all of the inventory known to man. But, they have access to the same internet I do, and are better at finding the things I want.

Thanks for the free Econ lesson. Peace.

It depends.

The only "online" gun purchases I have made have been buying from the classifieds here. Been tempted a few times, but never followed thru. I pretty much have all of the guns I will ever need, so it would only be something special I want, and I have plenty of LGSs to help out. The effect would probably be a bit more hassle and expense with regards to guns.

As for ammo, I have bought a LOT of that online and I strongly prefer to buy it that way. Again though, with 70K rounds, and more than enough in most calibers I stock, I won't be buying much more - maybe some FMJ practice ammo. Once the panic eases, I will mostly be buying reloading supplies - especially projectiles and some powder.

That said, I would have to wonder how this would affect the classifieds here?

I also would have to wonder how in the world this would pass must in the courts or in legislation even. We are not actually buying guns online, we always have to go thru an FFL when any firearm is shipped to us. "Buying guns online" is just a talking point for gun control.

Now ammo, that I can see them getting that to pass muster and it would inconvenience a great many people IMO. It would drive a lot of people into the LGSs though - maybe be good for their business.

A lot would depend on the format that they actually manage to push through. My intent is to create a business that uses a CNC mill to make performance parts for shooting competition, so a ban on all internet gun parts sales would mean I had to find other things to make and sell. Seems like this would be a huge problem for serious competitors in shooting, as one of the first things people do with a new gun is to buy all the trick parts to kit it out, so they have either an advantage, or less of a disadvantage.
Like many have stated, I often find that local stores just don't have the specialized handguns I'm looking for. Access to online gun sales means I can shop from a huge selection, and have it shipped to my local FFL. Mostly, I think the impact there would be I would have to order through a local place, so I'd still get it, but more $, and more wasted time. Still can't find a Super GP anywhere...

I'm picturing a lot of parts being sold as something else... 1609520512977.png
" Pictured here, a lovely set of steel pendants, for the wife or gf...."

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews