JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
At this point I am surprised the government doesn't just let us print money at home. Come on, I've got a mean laser printer, I can print lots of dollars
I had a friend in high school whos dad was a lawyer. In the mid 80's he had one of those newfangled color copiers in his office and my friend printed up a hundred or so one dollar bills. He went down to the local car wash and was running them through the change machine. Donald as a genius. Literally. IQ in the 160's. Had a full ride scholarship set up to MIT. The cop who was watching him run the bills through the change machine did not agree about that though . Donalds dad got his charges reduced but MIT found out about it and yanked his scholarship.

Death by a thousand cuts. They will follow up to banning Internet sales by using any means necessary to put the brink and mortar LGS's out of business.

I wonder how all of these proposed online bans work with the Interstate Commerce Clause (Commerce Clause).

In a pure theoretical sense (*), the commerce cause restrains the states from setting up trade barriers between states. It gives the power to regulate trade between the states to the Federal government. So if CA enacts a law that restricts trade between CA and other states, that might be a violation of the commerce clause. In contrast , if the Federal government, which is granted the power to regulate trade between the states, actually regulates trade between the states, that isn't a violation of the commerce clause -- it is the intended use.

(*) in a political sense, it is used as a cudgel for the Feds to regulate everything even though theoretically, trade that stays inside a state should be free of Federal regulation. Take the Kansas suppressor law and the people who got Federally prosecuted as but one example.

Quick reference:

comClause.png

Death by a thousand cuts. They will follow up to banning Internet sales by using any means necessary to put the brink and mortar LGS's out of business.

The City of Seattle ran all of the in-town LGS's out a few years back.

They did it with a $25 per firearm and $0.05 per round tax. They said it "funded gun violence research at Harbor View" (Harbor View is our local hospital) Yeah right, that money was wasted away on bureaucracy you can bet. But, it's intended effect was accomplished. They got every brick-n-mortar closed plus reduced the number of FFL's in City limits.

The City of Seattle ran all of the in-town LGS's out a few years back.

They did it with a $25 per firearm and $0.05 per round tax. They said it "funded gun violence research at Harbor View" (Harbor View is our local hospital) Yeah right, that money was wasted away on bureaucracy you can bet. But, it's intended effect was accomplished. They got every brick-n-mortar closed plus reduced the number of FFL's in City limits.
It accomplished nothing. Buyers just drive 10 more miles and get the same thing.

It accomplished nothing. Buyers just drive 10 more miles and get the same thing.

It accomplished it's actual objective: to drive out firearms sales in the City.

Oh, and the other "accomplishment" was that Harbor View hospital was able to use that funding to come up with this conclusion: "After a study found that gunshot survivors were 21 times more likely than people hospitalized for other reasons to return with another gunshot wound, researchers now provide some gunshot survivors with services ranging from substance-abuse and mental-health treatment to job assistance."

Wow, they needed a "study" to figure out that the vast majority of gunshot victims are career criminals and will be back again? (sshh, don't tell anyone that as criminals they likely acquired their firearms illegally)
I thought that hospital already knew these things. Gangbangers getting rolled in shot-up on, bleeding out on a gurney, probably on a first name basis.

Captain Obvious would like his money back:rolleyes:

Oh, and the other "accomplishment" was that Harbor View hospital was able to use that funding to come up with this conclusion: "After a study found that gunshot survivors were 21 times more likely than people hospitalized for other reasons to return with another gunshot wound, researchers now provide some gunshot survivors with services ranging from substance-abuse and mental-health treatment to job assistance."

Wow, they needed a "study" to figure out that the vast majority of gunshot victims are career criminals and will be back again? (sshh, don't tell anyone that as criminals they likely acquired their firearms illegally)
I thought that hospital already knew these things. Gangbangers getting rolled in shot-up on, bleeding out on a gurney, probably on a first name basis.

Never underestimate the stupidity of urban leftists. Rural leftists are ALMOST as stupid, but far rarer.

No, they accomplished nothing. The same guns are still being sold to the same people who would have bought them in Seattle . Its just down outside city limits. Here in the south we have dry counties. The people in those counties drive to the neighboring counties and the largest businesses are often the county line liquor stores.

Used to live in a place that had the "Green River ordinance". Meaning you couldn't buy booze on Sunday. People found the loopholes, if you paid $5 for a "membership fee", then you were part of a "private club" and could drink on Sunday. Same with dry counties, just means you drive business and tax revenue to the other side of the line. Prohibition never works.

No, they accomplished nothing. The same guns are still being sold to the same people who would have bought them in Seattle . Its just down outside city limits. Here in the south we have dry counties. The people in those counties drive to the neighboring counties and the largest businesses are often the county line liquor stores.

A few places have tried this or talked about it. Tacoma passed the same kind of law, with the same idea. They were going to make some bank. Tacoma has so far held off putting it in. The shops made it clear, put this in we are gone. The big box stores will just sell nothing, no one will buy there if they can just go out of the city, so they will just drop the sales as there will be no point and the new tax will make nothing. The idea only sounds good to morons who really think they will make money. Seattle really thought this would make money for them. Many law makers really are just that stupid. When they do away with ordering ammo I will still be buying it by the case. I will just have it done with some FFL who will take a cut to do so. If I have to say use our friend who is down south of me I will just buy several cases at a time to make it worth the drive down. Give him a few bucks, have to look around while there of course. Probably find something else I just have to have:D. Take the Wife to lunch, drive home with my ammo. The sky is not falling yet guys but, for all the screaming about the sky falling most are missing the real problem. This is still gun owners who refused to lift a finger and often actually vote for the people doing this. Unless this changes there will be CA type gun laws here because gun owners let it happen. :s0054:

Not at all.

I never buy guns/ammo online, just components.
That being said i'd rather not have that feature removed even I do not use it.

The same in Idaho. The county my grandpa lived in was "dry" on Sundays. But you could drive 6 more miles, cross the line and buy whatever. Stupidity is generally near sighted.

I'm going to disagree with the premise that Seattle city council thought they were going to make money off of this. The goal was to get people to stop buying guns and ammo. In that regard they have failed.

Ultimately I personally believe measures like this are mostly designed to harvest votes more than any useful purpose. Inferring utility is probably left as a hobby for the morons who vote them in.

I'm going to disagree with the premise that Seattle city council thought they were going to make money off of this. The goal was to get people to stop buying guns and ammo. In that regard they have failed.
I take it you do not smoke or know anyone who does. Some smokes now cost $100 a carton. About 90% of that is tax. They originally claimed they were trying to get people to not smoke and only the VERY gullible believe that. It rakes in HUGE money. Law makers see this and drool. Of course the problem is local law makers can't make it state wide but, a lot of them do not have to be smart. How many local law makers are failed business people? If you look at their history it is often shocking how many of them fail at business, so they get into the law making game. A LOT of them really have no clue and really do believe people will just pay the tax and they will have big bucks to spend. Ever seen what is happening in CA and NY? They are chasing off the people with money at an alarming rate. Really think this is what they "wanted to do"? Chase off the money? Many law makers are experts at failing by deciding to eat the goose that lays those eggs. Sadly it only "works" as the people who vote keep putting the people who killed the goose back in to clean up the mess they made.

I take it you do not smoke or know anyone who does. Some smokes now cost $100 a carton. About 90% of that is tax. They originally claimed they were trying to get people to not smoke and only the VERY gullible believe that. It rakes in HUGE money. Law makers see this and drool. Of course the problem is local law makers can't make it state wide but, a lot of them do not have to be smart. How many local law makers are failed business people? If you look at their history it is often shocking how many of them fail at business, so they get into the law making game. A LOT of them really have no clue and really do believe people will just pay the tax and they will have big bucks to spend. Ever seen what is happening in CA and NY? They are chasing off the people with money at an alarming rate. Really think this is what they "wanted to do"? Chase off the money? Many law makers are experts at failing by deciding to eat the goose that lays those eggs. Sadly it only "works" as the people who vote keep putting the people who killed the goose back in to clean up the mess they made.
I believe it 100% that they wanted to punitively tax businesses that sell guns and ammo out of their city. Yes, I do believe the Seattle city council to be a bunch of simpletons. It was never about making money. They may not like Cigars but they hate guns.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top