JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm still building a proper knife collection, but this is what I've got so far:
knives.jpg

Gotta couple safe queens in there sigmadog. ;):D
I need to get out more.

The K-Bar I bought mainly because everyone should have a K-Bar. I just don't have enough room on my belt for it AND my gun.

DSC05780.jpg
Survival Knife "Mountain Man" style....Well close.
All three of these knives date from the 1890's to the early 1900's.
But all three designs were in use during the "Rendezvous period" ( 1825-1840 ) of the Mountain Man.

All three still get used today as kitchen , camp and hunting knives.
Andy

View attachment 398608
But all three designs were in use during the "Rendezvous period" ( 1825-1840 ) of the Mountain Man.

Andy

Nice collection there @AndyinEverson. Carbon steel blades are my favorite, gotta love the patina. They get really sharp, maintain an edge just fine and touch up easy-peasy.

View attachment 398608

Andy
Andy, you rock with your adherence to well loved equipment. Do you use oil lamps to light your house? :D

In my pocket - Esee Avispa
IMG_1619.JPG

My go to all around - Esee 6
IMG_1617.JPG

If I'm feeling like I need a 9" blade and 1/4 spine - Tops 9" Anaconda
IMG_1034.JPG

If I'm feeling exotic or want to process a lot of wood without the axe I keep with me - Nepalese Kukuri made from a leaf spring with custom micarda handles
IMG_1025.JPG

A leatherman wave is always a given and I keep an Ontario RAT3 hanging from my neck.

Thanks!
I see no reason not use a 100 year old item for many more years if it is still useful ...As to oil lamps , only when the power is out...:D
Andy
Keep an eye out for great deals on ambergris.

These are some of mine that are not being employed right now. Like most products, I have a penchant for German but like British and American products a lot. The second photo is for Andy, they are a couple of 15th century multitools (drawing and quartering in particular} 3A4E2D94-951F-46F3-BA84-F05551D6DBC3.jpeg C00B6423-3A08-4AC9-B6C9-CD7C1F70A659.jpeg and a 14th century stick dagger all from Scotland.

These are some of mine that are not being employed right now. Like most products, I have a penchant for German but like British and American products a lot. The second photo is for Andy, they are a couple of 15th century multitools (drawing and quartering in particular} View attachment 398627 View attachment 398628 and a 14th century stick dagger all from Scotland.
Those are awesome!

Dang! I'm far behind on my collectin'. Better get busy.

These are some of mine that are not being employed right now. Like most products, I have a penchant for German but like British and American products a lot. The second photo is for Andy, they are a couple of 15th century multitools (drawing and quartering in particular} View attachment 398627 View attachment 398628 and a 14th century stick dagger all from Scotland.
Nice. Is that a Svord brand blade from NZ there on the top?

Think outside the box...

A battle hatchet is an option that can do just as much or more than a knife; except maybe, using it for a spearhead on the end of a staff.

If I could bring only one edged weapon, it would be my Eastwing Battle Hatchet, or something with a similarly designed full Tang.

;)

Nice. Is that a Svord brand blade from NZ there on the top?
That is a German sword from the 17th century. Kind of a plain commoners sword that is in very good shape. I have an English footsmans sword and a British sword from the English civil war as well as some modern replicas. They are all fun but I really prefer the real original stuff. The Sheffield and Solingen products are particularly interesting to me. Both areas have been building quality products for over 1000 years.

That is a German sword from the 17th century. Kind of a plain commoners sword that is in very good shape. I have an English footsmans sword and a British sword from the English civil war as well as some modern replicas. They are all fun but I really prefer the real original stuff. The Sheffield and Solingen products are particularly interesting to me. Both areas have been building quality products for over 1000 years.

Because an authentic Ulf+berh+t is very expensive...:eek: edit: hard to find...

Think outside the box...

A battle hatchet is an option that can do just as much or more than a knife; except maybe, using it for a spearhead on the end of a staff.

If I could bring only one edged weapon, it would be my Eastwing Battle Hatchet, or something with a similarly designed full Tang.

;)
I have had experiance and conversations about tomahawks (battle Hatchets?) most of them have sharp edges on both sides. A single bit tool with a hammer head to me is much more useful. I know a pointed side penatrates armor well but a hammer is a very useful in every day use increasing the versatility.

1EBA26A2-A318-41E7-B9D2-5D15E47B8614.jpeg
View attachment 398608

Andy
Those look like the knives my Norwegian Blacksmith great grandfather used to make. My mother used them every day until she died a couple of years ago. My brother has them now. Is that middle one a Green River? (They are still being made) I have both an original and a new version of that. They were common western trade knives, the Blades are a great size and shape but thin. I have an old Puma boatmans knife that is a similar size and shape but the blank tapers from the spine tho the sharp edge.....even through the tang. It lives in my wife's car and is used for everything from dressing road kill to picnics. This is a photo of one like it.

Last Edited:
Not too sure about anyone who advocates using a knife to pry, baton or chop. There are other, better suited tools to use and some methods to get around these things without using your knife if that's all you have. Also, I have yet have a knife loosen at the handle while using it as a knife and taking care of it.

Also, not addressing sharpening your knife in the field is a bit of huge "miss" in my mind.

Just my opinion, but I would probably not recommend this article to someone new to knives and/or looking for "survival" knife buying recommendations.

There is no perfect survival knife.

There is the right tool for the job, but no one tool is right for all jobs:

Edged tools usage... a bit of a rant

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR