JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not too sure about anyone who advocates using a knife to pry, baton or chop. There are other, better suited tools to use and some methods to get around these things without using your knife if that's all you have. Also, I have yet have a knife loosen at the handle while using it as a knife and taking care of it.

Also, not addressing sharpening your knife in the field is a bit of huge "miss" in my mind.

Just my opinion, but I would probably not recommend this article to someone new to knives and/or looking for "survival" knife buying recommendations.

@ATCclears - not picking on you here.
When I see a headline like the one in the OP, it screams click-bait. Didn't bother.

How to Choose the Perfect Survival Knife: 6 Features to Look For | The Art of Manliness
  • If I am going to call my survival knife "perfect", I'm scared.
  • What works well for the author may not work well for anyone else. That's why I have 4 knives I carry with me when I'm out in the wilderness - six if you count the two on my Leatherman. Like @Stomper says, some are better at slicey, some better at stickey, some better at cutting rope, one great at filleting, and one that does most all of it. But -- if it breaks and that's all I have, I'm forked.
  • Manliness is a state of being - there is no art to it. You are or aren't. This kind of guide name reminds of the non-hetero half of "metrosexual males" who wish to appear more manly.

Put "survival" in front of any product name and suddenly it becomes a magical item imbued with powers beyond your average hunk of sharpened steel; your very own Glamdring or Orcrist (fellow nerds will get the references).

If it works well for you and you keep it nearby for everyday tasks or emergencies, Viola! It's a survival tool.

Personally for any non-folding knife my main requirement is a full tang. Nearly everything else is negotiable.

Put "survival" in front of any product name and suddenly it becomes a magical item imbued with powers beyond your average hunk of sharpened steel; your very own Glamdring or Orcrist (fellow nerds will get the references).

If it works well for you and you keep it nearby for everyday tasks or emergencies, Viola! It's a survival tool.

Personally for any non-folding knife my main requirement is a full tang. Nearly everything else is negotiable.
Extra points if "tacti-cool" and "survival" are used in the same line.

DSC03378.jpg
Here are my two main "survival knives"
The top one is a Blackjack Model #5
5 1/2 inch carbon steel blade with a stacked leather handle.
It served me well during my time in the Army....Big enough to cut and slice most anything..but not so big as to be unwieldy.
The bottom is a Camillus "Demo Knife" that walked out with me after a trip to a stingy Quartermaster's shop.

I like the idea of at least two knives for "survival" ...in my experience no one knife can do it all.
Andy

Last Edited:
90% of what we see is marketing. Everyone uses tools differently and different enviorments also require different tools. I use and like a large heavy knife coupled with a very sharp smaller knife and a Swiss army folder. Or even an axe or saw with a small assortment of knives. I don't prefer folding knives for heavy work, guess I cut my fingers too many times when I was young by them folding and hinges can wear loose. I grew up doing fieldcraft in Northern Idaho and North Eastern Washington so the requirement to cut wood was paramount. When I did the 3 USAF survival schools, I learned that that ability was less important in other enviorments. In the jungle, a machete was a better tool than an axe with the large amount of fleshy wet plant material to deal with. So, there really isn't a one answer to all situations. So back to marketing, many of these companies spend more on advertising and promotion than actually manufacturing the product. The knife illustrated in the piece looks useful enough but it is 1.00 of steel and 1.00 of vacuumed formed scales with .30 of fasteners, add another 2.00 in labor to put it all together so 4.30$ cost of product selling for 130.00 not a bad return, leaves plenty of cash for promotion.

View attachment 398594
It served me well during my time in the Army....Big enough to cut and slice most anything..but so big as to be unwieldy.
The bottom is a Camillus "Demo Knife" that walked out with me after a trip to a stingy Quartermaster's shop.

I like the idea of at least two knives for "survival" ...in my experience no one knife can do it all.
Andy
You have great taste........I am addicted to my small Swiss Army (Victoriknox) knives so much so, I had to go out of my way to visit the factory in Switzerland. I use the super tinker, tweezers, tooth pick, scissors, and the things on your Camillus folder are very convenient.

View attachment 398594
It served me well during my time in the Army....Big enough to cut and slice most anything..but so big as to be unwieldy.

Andy
Yep, that's the girl!
Me too. Just in everyday, non-"survival" mode, I carry a Victorinox Pioneer much like that folder there but with aluminum scales and a lightweight 4" clip folder.

Didn't click... because I'm reminded of the old tater chip commercial: "Bet ya can't eat just one." Having only ONE survival tool IMO is a recipe for failure. :rolleyes:

Going to elk camp this weekend... taking four survival knives, four folding belt knives, two hunting style belt knives, two camp knives, six skinning/prep knives, one throwing knife, one small saw, one ring saw, one folding belt knife with saw, a hatchet, a throwing axe, a single bit ax, a double bit ax, a splitting maul, not counting kitchen knives. I'd take more, but I'm just not that into knives. :D

Didn't click... because I'm reminded of the old tater chip commercial: "Bet ya can't eat just one." Having only ONE survival tool IMO is a recipe for failure. :rolleyes:

Going to elk camp this weekend... taking four survival knives, four folding belt knives, two hunting style belt knives, two camp knives, six skinning/prep knives, one throwing knife, one small saw, one ring saw, one folding belt knife with saw, a hatchet, a throwing axe, a single bit ax, a double bit ax, a splitting maul, not counting kitchen knives. I'd take more, but I'm just not that into knives. :D
Try to not kill the fella that sidles up and asks to borrow a knife or asks if you have a knife.
hate that

You have great taste........I am addicted to my small Swiss Army (Victoriknox) knives so much so, I had to go out of my way to visit the factory in Switzerland. I use the super tinker, tweezers, tooth pick, scissors, and the things on your Camillus folder are very convenient.

Yep, that's the girl!
Me too. Just in everyday, non-"survival" mode, I carry a Victorinox Pioneer much like that folder there but with aluminum scales and a lightweight 4" clip folder.

Ounce for ounce, Swiss Army knives, Victorinox and Wenger are excellent buys. I carry a Farmer in my pocket and Rambler on my key chain. When it's not a Farmer, it's either an old USA made small or medium stockman or Camillus electrician(TL-29) knife.

0CEC11E0-7BD1-4DB5-BE60-2758A22448EE.jpeg I always have my old BKT Companion knife, a very sharp smaller game knife and one of these in my small pack. The Knapp saw is very light, well made and versatile. There are cheep oriental copies but I find the original the best. One piece and simple. It makes short work of quartering game or building a shelter. I like a single bit Estwing axe with the steel handle forged with the bit. The back (hammer side) of the axe is as useful as the sharp edge.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews