JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
He makes some good points, albeit a wee bit melodramatically.
Make life simple for yourself - keep what he had to say in mind, go to the Buck Knives Website and pick what you think you'll need, from what they offer.
I've got a Woodsman and a Skinner (in fact, I got two Skinners, mine and my father's) and swear by them.
Amazingly well made knives with a good warranty to back them up.
They also make a Selkirk knife, but for "survival" purposes, considering what he had to say, I'd probably do either that Selkirk, or the Vanguard.
Of course, if you REALLY wanna play Crocodile Dundee, there's nothing like the 120 General.
You could probably kill an elephant with that sword! ;)

DOOOD! lol while I agree that a Buck 120 General is a fair knife- carried the same one 40 years (along with others, naturally) until it sprouted legs and walked off my property somehow- it isnt the be-all and end-all and it sure isnt a Crocodile Dundee knife! Or an elephant-killing sword. There was a time in my youth when I sorta had that idea, tho. Mine served well for what it was and I did replace it when it became obvious that it wasnt going to turn up any time soon.. I had the devil of a time putting the first edge on my old one,:eek: half the sharpening gear I own was obtained keeping that knife sharp. That blade was one of the 440 blades Buck went with for a time, tho I didn't know that until it became misplaced. I hope it turns on the mofo who has it now. You can have my wife; you can drink my whisky; you might even get away with kickin my dog; But NEVER EVER mess with my weapons!:p
Anymore, I carry mostly Cold Steel products for serious use and it is doubtful they will wear out in my lifetime.

Last Edited:
I couldn't read the whole article because every few seconds it woul jump back to the start when another ad would activate.
I carry a Buck 110 , a pakistani clone of the 110, to multitools and other gear as my EDC then when I go out to the field, range, or whatever I carry some more gear.

Ok now I am thinking about sharp, pointy and shiny things.

Here is a couple more knives.
86F451F0-60BB-43DF-B197-AFC47890622E.jpeg
Then there is the future sharp, pointy and shiny things.
6CF96513-249C-440B-BFC1-ECA50A93C75C.jpeg
And trust me I have others.:rolleyes:o_O:D

Absolutely, Buck's are good deals, they have nice designs, good heat treatment, good warranty. I have thought about getting their 102 Woodsman, 4 inch blade, it's just under $40.00 on amazon.

Dang you guys are terrible influences on my wallet!;)

The Woodsman is a nice little knife, but the blade is a bit fragile.
Mine snapped shortly after I got it, when I tried to pry something with it.
However, the replacement was gotten quickly and with very little fuss.
That one's been fine for about 40 years now.

Last Edited:
For those that don't seem to know:

This is a pry bar:

$_32.jpg

You could stand on one and it won't break.

This is a claw hammer:

31XS3IKxtNL.jpg

You can pound on stuff repeatedly with it - for years - you can even pry stuff with it.

This is a screwdriver:

178176.jpg
These are axes:

263650-dcf2232534de4bd2dd91ffa11a11c8cc.jpg

They are much better for chopping and splitting than any knife. You can even use the back of the axe as an ad-hoc hammer.

THIS is a survival knife:

422390.jpg

It isn't very expensive and it doesn't look like it belongs in a Rambo or Conan the Barbarian movie, but it does cut (which is primarily what knives do). It isn't a good hammer, or screwdriver or axe or pry bar, and I don't use it as such - so it probably won't break when I use it to cut things.

I've read some interesting and well written articals in The Art of Manliness, manly knife choices was pretty good IMHO, I like Creek Stewart, I have a small booklet about building a BOB, by him that has some good points.

As to knife selection the guys that have said knives have specialty's are absolutely correct! What do you like to do, where do you go, do you go into or anticipate going to dangerous areas, in the event of SHTF do you anticipate bugging in or out, or both most usefully?
A. First is quality an EDC folder, I like forward assist because it's quicker and I have damaged hands. I carry a Kershaw Blur, about $50+shipping on Amazon!
9353A66E-3619-40EC-90F6-B7002412B48A.png B. SHTF, I have a Kershaw bush knife with CRKT small fixed blade for a BOB. D934A85F-419C-4BB1-9CC3-844E926F78DA.jpeg
673DC80D-3F99-4C7F-8332-290945F579D4.jpeg

C. A vintage Gerber Bowie or a new BK-5 for bugging in.
6B97B8F7-8DA3-484E-9B11-0265EDC2147B.jpeg
EA2B3E35-67EA-4A6C-B3E0-F7002160AACE.jpeg
D. The backup! 528110CC-36B6-4D9B-9232-B47CED39C29A.jpeg 18EC7440-0A23-4F62-88D1-31EAB26D02A7.jpeg

Last Edited:
IMG_0036.JPG
The K-Bar I bought mainly because everyone should have a K-Bar.

So true. Here's my well used Ka-Bar - I got it in the Marines and I carried it everywhere they sent me. I haven't been kind to it: it's been used to chop, pry, stab, open cans, hammer things - really, anything you shouldn't use a knife for yet it never wears out. I keep meaning to handle a new one to check the quality, since I doubt they make them as well as they used to (like most things).

View attachment 400034

So true. Here's my well used Ka-Bar - I got it in the Marines and I carried it everywhere they sent me. I haven't been kind to it: it's been used to chop, pry, stab, open cans, hammer things - really, anything you shouldn't use a knife for yet it never wears out. I keep meaning to handle a new one to check the quality, since I doubt they make them as well as they used to (like most things).

Wow dude, it looks like it was issued for Tarawa! The atoll!!!:D

I selected mine after watching demonstration videos along with knowing the inventor (Avi Nardia) of a particular tool. Once I had it in my hands I gave it a brutal beating and was impressed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...&tag=wwwakiyamakan-20&linkId=GVFHFR42VZ452XZY

Cool knife, Karen, how is sharpening that "S" curve main blade edge! I'm a pretty good blade sharpner but sometimes have difficulty on "S" blades, best way for me is to break it down into two or three sections, basically three different curves!

Since I am a non-survivor anyway I may as well sell my Fallkniven A-1. It has the thermo plastic watchya call it sheath and the original box. I have not sharpened it or used it. It is very man artsy and tangfully tasteful.

Well, I was looking at a Buck 102 or 105. But wound up getting a Western L66 knife, exactly like one I foolishly sold many years ago. Got this off ebay for $36.90 which included shipping. The best I can date it to is between 1955 and 1970. Needs a little TLC, but looks to be in in good condition.

a.jpg

Last Edited:
Cool knife, Karen, how is sharpening that "S" curve main blade edge! I'm a pretty good blade sharpner but sometimes have difficulty on "S" blades, best way for me is to break it down into two or three sections, basically three different curves!
I think a larger ceramic stick ( maybe a 3/4-1 1/4 inch) could make the curves a little easier to navigate, just well anchored to give the same tension on each portion. I've never seen them but you might be able to find a convex stone in various grits.

44D672B5-21F4-45AF-9599-654DE101298B.jpeg 8145B1B9-FDAB-4B0A-A9A5-7EA5F7CAA986.jpeg
I selected mine after watching demonstration videos along with knowing the inventor (Avi Nardia) of a particular tool. Once I had it in my hands I gave it a brutal beating and was impressed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...&tag=wwwakiyamakan-20&linkId=GVFHFR42VZ452XZY
That knife is not for general use here in the northwest......so you need to build a fire from a block of wood, you need to carve to the center where the chances are better to find dry tinder to shred. Where are you going to put the palm of your hand to push through the wood? That is a silly Rambo knife with little utility. Lots of gadgets that are mostly useless. The serrated spine isn't long enough to work well as a saw (what else is it good for) not a bad point for penetrating the hide of game and the sweep wouldn't be bad for skinning but the length is very awkward for something like cutting a diaphragm, you are more likely to take one of your own fingers off (I have done that too) . My grandfather used to have a saying about fishing lures.......they are made to catch fishermen, not fish.

Last Edited:
For those that don't seem to know:

This is a pry bar:

View attachment 399988

You could stand on one and it won't break.

This is a claw hammer:

View attachment 399989

You can pound on stuff repeatedly with it - for years - you can even pry stuff with it.

This is a screwdriver:

View attachment 399990
These are axes:

View attachment 399991

They are much better for chopping and splitting than any knife. You can even use the back of the axe as an ad-hoc hammer.

THIS is a survival knife:

View attachment 399992

It isn't very expensive and it doesn't look like it belongs in a Rambo or Conan the Barbarian movie, but it does cut (which is primarily what knives do). It isn't a good hammer, or screwdriver or axe or pry bar, and I don't use it as such - so it probably won't break when I use it to cut things.
I love this post........obviously someone with experiance that knows what he is talking about.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top