JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've got a pair of 'fencing pliers' from my step=grandpa that he inherited from his dad in Kansas circa 1930. Work good as new.

A truly magnificent design for a surprising range of chores.

....here's the REAL survival pliers....
View attachment 400404

I got a set of them in my hand right now but they are marked " UTICA 1932-10 1/4" ( on the upper half of the swing with the hammer head to the left) and "UTICA NY USA" (on the bottom of the swing same side) IF you flip it over on the right handle next to the "plier " is marked with a "3" standing out rather than indented into the metal.
I call it the ORIGINAL Multi-tool!

2447154D-0AC5-464E-881C-0AED14B95713.jpeg This is the original multi tool

So, for once I read the linked article.

I disagree with the author that your "survival knife" needs to be full tang. He in fact goes so far about this so as to be wrong when he wrote, "There are no advantages at all in having a hidden tang knife."

Bzzzt! There are in fact several.

1. Ergonomics. Most full tang knives, but not all, come with slab sided handles, usually made of canvas micarta, though some poseur tools come cord wrapped. Some, like many Fallkniven examples use a glued over synthetic rubberized grip handle no one seems to complain about falling off.

The grip these provide are mostly just various flavors of "off the rack." Most feature easy ways to develop hot spots where under hard use you may easily develop blisters.

2. While their generally flat sided grips are carry friendly, the grips of full tangs are not as user friendly as the more hand filling grip a typical hidden tang knife can provide especially when using gloves.

3. Nearly all full tang knives leave steel exposed around the perimeter of the grip. Not very forgiving of touching bare skin in extreme cold environs.

From kukris in Nepal, to barongs in the Philippines, to the trade knives of trappers, to the puukkos of the Finns, hidden or stick tang knives conquered the world before the full tang knife put its pants on.

You just have to use them more thoughtfully than the heavy 4-6" carries and steroidal machetes in fashion at the moment.

I like Ka-Bars and leatherman or gerber multitools... no one knife does it all, unless it does it all badly.
You can use a KaBar as a wedge, but it would be better to carry an axe.

I agree, rocks can be useful in many ways. Don't forget your rocks.

I like Ka-Bars and leatherman or gerber multitools... no one knife does it all, unless it does it all badly.
You can use a KaBar as a wedge, but it would be better to carry an axe.

I agree, rocks can be useful in many ways. Don't forget your rocks.
Someone should write a blog post "How to pick the best survival rock."

Not super crazy about the plastic grips, but that's a minor annoyance easily remedied.
Otherwise, I agree with Argo. Looks like a reasonable choice!

Dean

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top