JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

How many magazines are necessary per gun?

• 1 magazine

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 2-5 magazines

Votes: 54 34.6%
  • 6-10 magazines

Votes: 51 32.7%
  • 11-20 magazines

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • 21+ magazines

Votes: 16 10.3%

• Total voters
Reactions
How many magazines do you think are necessary per firearm? It seems like every time I buy a new gun, I'm spending a good chunk of money on more magazines, different ammo, optics, grips, accessories, etc.

Of course it depends on the gun, I only have one spare mag for my Kel Tec P3AT, but 7 for my AR15. If you have more than one gun that fits the same magazine, then divide your magazines per gun.

To narrow this down, we'll keep the poll to AR/AK/Fal etc.

I put 6-10, but that is for know good functioning mags. I feel that you should be able to carry 200rds of ammo on your person in mags, be it 10 20rd mags, or 7 30rd mags.

wg

As many as you can get, really. Magazines will fail and get lost and dinged up over time. You can always butcher one magazine for another when all else fails as well. I like to circulate my magazines, keeping a couple loaded per firearm. Every 6 months or so I'll change out from the one's that are loaded to the one's that aren't.

Wenis, I can't answer you because there's no choice as to what type of weapon. I want a LOT more for a battle rifle than I do for my EDC G23. I just bought 5 more mags from a member here (still in transit) for my G23 but that's for handy target practice. I sure don't carry that many or need that many imho.

If the SHTF I might carry all of them, but then I'd also be carrying 300 rounds in mags for a battle rifle, so minimum 10 30 round mags.

I always figure I don't need more than I could actually carry (along with everything else I'd need) if the SHTF. In normal circumstances such as home defense, I could get by with a lot fewer mags.

Your question is very good for provoking thought, though. :s0155:

$.02

Well, having bought magazines during the "ban", I tend to stock up when they go on sale, assuming I have the $$.

It's a LOT nicer paying $8 for a new AR mag versus $30 for a beat up used "pre-ban" one.

I'm sitting on about 30 various AR mags and 20 or so AK mags as of now...

Wenis, I can't answer you because there's no choice as to what type of weapon...

Wenis said:
...To narrow this down, we'll keep the poll to AR/AK/Fal etc.

Different situations of course require you to carry more or less, but to just own. Everyone has seen that safe that's full of some 500 loaded AR mags and 20 some ARs, which is just overkill in my opinion, but when you buy a new gun, how many mags do you go out and buy? It seems everyone is different, as I noticed in the "keep mags loaded or unloaded" thread.

Wenis, I can't answer you because there's no choice as to what type of weapon. I want a LOT more for a battle rifle than I do for my EDC G23. I just bought 5 more mags from a member here (still in transit) for my G23 but that's for handy target practice. I sure don't carry that many or need that many imho.

If the SHTF I might carry all of them, but then I'd also be carrying 300 rounds in mags for a battle rifle, so minimum 10 30 round mags.

I always figure I don't need more than I could actually carry (along with everything else I'd need) if the SHTF. In normal circumstances such as home defense, I could get by with a lot fewer mags.

Your question is very good for provoking thought, though. :s0155:

$.02

Ya thats what I was thinking. 10 reloads (300 rnds) for my AR (200 rnds) for M1A.

I have a G17 and modified a 5 mag Tommy gun pouch to strap to my leg and hold 5- 33 rnd mags for my glock

Ok, I'll play. Wenis, I voted 2 to 5 then saw the graph. Seems most think that a lot more are necessary. I carry two in a double mag holder and one in the gun, cocked and locked. Having said that, I generally have more than three for my firearms and how many depends on my tolerance for financial pain.

Will

Five thirty three round mags on your leg? You the man Terry!

Different situations of course require you to carry more or less, but to just own. Everyone has seen that safe that's full of some 500 loaded AR mags and 20 some ARs, which is just overkill in my opinion, but when you buy a new gun, how many mags do you go out and buy? It seems everyone is different, as I noticed in the "keep mags loaded or unloaded" thread.

Pistol, minimum 4. Battle rifle, minimum 300 rounds. :s0155:

I have a dozen or so for my AR and only 1 for each of the center fire rifles (the ones with removable boxes). 4 each for a couple hand guns.

Brings my average down a bunch.

This would be easier to answer if the poll only included one general type of weapon.

Any .22LR semi auto handgun or semi auto rifle - as many as you can get your hands on. I have 6 for my Ruger MkIII and I feel I need more. I only have 3 so far for the Sig 522, but I'm planning on having 8-10.

AR - I'd say 6-10 is a good number.
Defensive handguns, minimum of 3. That way you can still go shooting without having to empty your carry mag. Ideally 4-6 dedicated mags you can target shoot with.

Bolt or hunting rifles - 1 will suffice for most, apart from the .17HMR for which I'd say get as many as you can afford, the higher the capacity the better! Those rats aren't going to shoot themselves!

Our unit SOP in Baghdad was 12 mags on you in 4 pouches on your IBA and 1 in your rifle for patrols and raids. We also carried more mags in our assault packs along with our camelbaks and a MRE. Sometimes we'd help out the AGs and carried extra ammo for the SAW and the 240. Combat load at a minimum was 390 rounds at all times.

for my shtf battle rifle, I like 3x my 'carry load' of mags...so for me that is 9 mags x 3. Remember, if you ever have to actually use these in a shtf situation, you'll also be losing/dropping mags. Having three "sets" is a minimum in my opinion.

I guess I use the same logic for my main pistol, as I have 3 x 3 of that as well as my min.

buy them now, they are back to cheap as compared to just 1 year ago.

for my shtf battle rifle, I like 3x my 'carry load' of mags...so for me that is 9 mags x 3. Remember, if you ever have to actually use these in a shtf situation, you'll also be losing/dropping mags. Having three "sets" is a minimum in my opinion.

I guess I use the same logic for my main pistol, as I have 3 x 3 of that as well as my min.

buy them now, they are back to cheap as compared to just 1 year ago.

This is almost the same formula I use. Besides in SHTF situation mags are good barter item and it is rare to lose money on them.

SF-

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top