JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

How many magazines are necessary per gun?

• 1 magazine

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 2-5 magazines

Votes: 54 34.6%
  • 6-10 magazines

Votes: 51 32.7%
  • 11-20 magazines

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • 21+ magazines

Votes: 16 10.3%

• Total voters
It frustrates me to get only one magazine with a new gun. I end up ordering to have at least 3-4 per handgun, more if the weapon will see heavy use or if the capacity is less than 8. For some toys I have several more than 10 each. I consider that one day (again) government will restrict sale, manufacture or even
ownership.

Our unit SOP in Baghdad was 12 mags on you in 4 pouches on your IBA and 1 in your rifle for patrols and raids. We also carried more mags in our assault packs along with our camelbaks and a MRE. Sometimes we'd help out the AGs and carried extra ammo for the SAW and the 240. Combat load at a minimum was 390 rounds at all times.

So honestly,even in a SHTF scenario, half of this would suffice.I really doubt we will need anywhere near what you needed in Afghanistan or Iraq.

But I like to pick up mags when I find them cheap and have the money,as was stated ,because if the decide to ban them again I'll have plenty of trading stock.
I have 6 for my G20 .One to keep in the gun,2 back ups and 2 with target loads in them.I also like to have a couple loaded while I'm target shooting.
And I like plenty for the 22s.Great for having around when others come shooting and never know when the squirrels will go zombie.
For the AR or when I get the AK,I will just keep acquiring them.Never too many.You don't need to keep them all loaded or take all of them with you.
Again, trading stock.

My plan is to put 1000rds of 7.62 in an ammo can and store it, then have 10 loaded AK mags. Eventually I'd like to load up the other 1000rds into mags. That's about 43 AK mags total. For my carry gun and defensive pistol, my G19, I will be happy with 10 15rd mags and 4 33rd mags.

I guess I'm old cause all I have for my hand guns is two mags each and if I ever had one of them ak things I all ready have three thirty round mags for it gotta teach the wife to lay flat on the floor and load mags I guess.

well I have no AR AK or FN type weapon.

But for my M1 Carbine I currently have 13) 15rd mags (7 short of my goal) Along with 2) 10rd stripper clips (18 short of my goal) Goal is a total of 300rds in mags and 200 rds in strippers for fast reloads of mags.

For my M1 Garand I have 45) 8rd clips (my goal) I have 480 rds clipped up 240 of a soft point nature and 240 of a long range sniper nature

For my Star Model B I have 5) 8rd Mags of 9mm (would like to find 5 more)

For the Astra A-90 I have 5) mags that hold a total of 85rds of 9mm (might get a couple more)

For the Ruger 22-45 I have 2) 10rd mags (my goal is another 8)

4 spd loaders for both 5 rd wheel guns.

I voted 2-5 before I saw AR/AK/FAL type of weapon, in that case at least 7-10. I only have 7 for my AK and would like more, I think it'd be enough for any fantasy gun-fight I'd be in. 2-5 is for a pistol depending on the capacity, again this are minimum. You can really never have too many magazines, and in a SHTF situation having more already loaded up is only in your benefit. Beats lugging around loose ammo.

Different situations of course require you to carry more or less, but to just own. Everyone has seen that safe that's full of some 500 loaded AR mags and 20 some ARs, which is just overkill in my opinion, but when you buy a new gun, how many mags do you go out and buy? It seems everyone is different, as I noticed in the "keep mags loaded or unloaded" thread.

It's only over kill if it's just you and your gf/bf or spouse.
Otherwise I think it's a good start, as those other 19 rifles are for your friends. Using numbers you gave, that's 25 mags per person. Assuming each mag is fully loaded with 30 rounds, that's 750 rounds per person (15000 rounds total). This is good, because who knows when they're going to get extra ammo.

Personally for rifles, I think one should have as many magazines as they want and need.
For me it would be at least 10+, much more if I can afford it.
For pistols, 5 is good start for those who carry (for rotation and training), otherwise go for 8-10+.

If money is an issue, make sure you don't over specialize with super rare expensive mags that only work for x pistol.
This is why I like glocks and 1911s. You'll find people have Glock magazines, and you'll find someone who has a 1911 magazine. You probably won't find a lot of people who have an extra magazine for your Makarov, USP, calico, PX4, desert eagle, etc.

YMMV

Before I consider buying a weapon, I think about the reliability of the weapon, cost and availability of ammo, and availability of magazines. If things are not looking good for any of those things I move along.

Dis manies

image0077.jpg

As with firearms so with magazines
In military combat there is a large logistical train that streaches back all the way to the warehouses and factorys that produce the needed goods to sustain combat.
In civilian combat there is NO logistical train at all. No ammo, no water, no food, no shelter, no TP, no tooth brush, nothing.
Learn it, Love it, Live it.
mags?
ammo?
I keep em half loaded to save the springs
If the ballon goes up you'll have enough time to top off your mags. I Figure 120-160 rounds per gun
I keep a small supply of ammo at hand as well. No need to haul 500 rnds of sniper ammo to the top of a moauntain when life expecantcy is a mere 24 hours

As with firearms so with magazines
In military combat there is a large logistical train that streaches back all the way to the warehouses and factorys that produce the needed goods to sustain combat.
In civilian combat there is NO logistical train at all. No ammo, no water, no food, no shelter, no TP, no tooth brush, nothing.
Learn it, Love it, Live it.
mags?
ammo?
I keep em half loaded to save the springs
If the ballon goes up you'll have enough time to top off your mags. I Figure 120-160 rounds per gun
I keep a small supply of ammo at hand as well. No need to haul 500 rnds of sniper ammo to the top of a moauntain when life expecantcy is a mere 24 hours

And with that line of thinking then you could end up dead.

I currently have:

Two AK rifles (working on an AK pistol/SBR) kitted with 7)30rnd mags each.

Three AR rifles (working on a 4th rifle in 6.8SPC and an AR pistol/SBR) kitted with 13)30rnd mags each.

One .308 Galil kitted with 13)20rnd mags and 4)30rnd mags.

One 10-22 (going to buy at least two more) that has a "few" mags.

One AR15/22LR that has a couple 27rnd mags.

Three 12ga. shotguns kitted with 25rd bandoliers (plus what's in the mag tubes).

One Glock-30 that has 5)10rnd. mags.

One 1911A1 that has 6)7rnd mags.

One Taurus PT145 that has 3) 10rnd mags.

One Beretta 92F that has 2) 15rnd and 4) 17rnd mags.

Two .357 revovers Hmmm... I should get some speed loaders for the .357's

Then there's the surplus .50cal ammo cans stuffed to the gills (and highly inventoried/organized) with 5.56, 7.62x39, .308/7.62x51, 9mm para, .45ACP, .357/.38spl, 12 gauge rounds of various loads, and thousands and thousands of .22LR out in my newly built (and alarmed) "strong room".

Basically, carrying much more ammo that what I have kitted to each weapon gets stupid heavy and cumbersome. So there you have it, I have enough weapons and ammo to kit up a "rag-tag" infantry squad and keep them supplied for a little while, which happens to equal that number when you count myself, my spouse, my kids, and good friend who lives here locally... which was/is my goal.

I'm in the 6-10 camp as that's the "happy medium" of what I kit out for.

BTW-

I'm REALLY not crazy or obsessed... I'm just prepared to equip my family/friends for a SHTF scenerio like rioting/looting and/or a terrorist event caused by the likes of MS13/La Raza or any other puds acting the fool on a mass scale. :s0131: :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top