JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
https://www.northwestfirearms.com/t...d-show-us-what-you-carry-around.140108/page-2

Screenshot_20220218-210322.png
There's my load out circa 2015. I've lightened up a lot since then. Kind of fun to look back on it. I got tired of pulling my pants up 😄

Now it's:

P365 or p238
Leatherman sideclip
Knife of the day
No light or pepper spray
Less junk on my key ring

IMG_20220207_181142674~2.jpg

When I first started carrying in the early 80's I owned a N frame S&W revolver and a 1911.
I tried a couple more full size guns, High Power, Tokegypt, Star BM, Model 59 S&W, etc.... None of them I could force myself to keep on me at all times. By the mid 90's CA had gone to a 10 round mag limit, And I had moved to mid size guns. I was sporting a S&W 910 [ a Model 39 with a 10 round mag].
Then I moved to a county that would not issue a CCW.
In 99 I moved back to a county that I could CCW or open carry [ Till Ca put an end to that] And I started pocket carry. Since I started pocket carrying I have found I could carry all day without the need to get the gun off me as soon as I was home!
I have carried the Colt Mustang, Ruger LCP, Walther PPK, CZ 50, Beretta 70, and a bunch of small revolvers.
My current EDC's are a J frame 642 revolver, and a S&W Shield in 9mm.
The shield is a little bigger than I like, But I shoot it so much better than the revolver. I carry it in the winter when it fits in a coat pocket, or a IWB holster with a cover shirt. It also fits well in cargo pants or shorts.
The 642 is a go anywhere do anything gun. It goes well in jeans pockets, shorts, or in a belly band under running shorts. It takes a little more practice , But I can shoot it well out to 30 yards, and can hit a man size target at 50 yds.
One other thing that I have EDC'd is a Flashlight. And they have gotten smaller over the years too. For the last 3 years I have been carrying a Lumintop AA 2.0. It gives me 650 lumins of light in a single AA battery. This is the brightest small light I have found. DR

My first EDC was a chrome Bersa Thunder 380 that I bought when we had little kids because it was super safe and a super cheap PPK clone.
My wife took the shiny Bersa, so I got a matte black Bersa Thunder 380CC that was easy to pocket carry in the summer.
I got a Beretta Px4 Storm 9mm for full size winter carry and nightstand duty.
We sold the Bersas and bought small Ruger EDC guns, an LC9S for me and an LCR 38 for her.
My EDC since 2020 has been a Sig P365XL carried IWB.
Since every gun my wife gets for on body carry ends up in her purse, I have ended up carrying all of them as a BUG at one point including the super small KelTec P32.
I carried my S&W M&P 2.0 Compact 9mm when protestors came to town last summer, however the LC9S is still my gotta run to the store go to carry. It is in my pocket with a Blackhawk#3 pocket holster right now.

I keep coming back to my Bersa Bp9CC but have tried a lot from 1911, SW 5609, Sigma, XD, ect, but come back to the Bersa because it is all day comfortable. Almost forget I have it. Decent capacity, reliable and accurate.

As far as lights and knives, I've never been consistent with those. I keep a few lights in the car.

Oh man, where to start. I've carried the following at some point:
Kel Text P3aT
Glock 23
SW Airweight
Springfield XDs 45
Ruger Commander
Sig 938
Colt Government
Glock 26
Dan Wesson ECO
I'm currently back with a different Glock 26 while I'm waiting on my Wilson Combat CQB Compact. The Colt Government will also get into the rotation.

I tried a bunch of guns, didn't like something and moved on.

Carry started with a Browning Hi-Power as that's all I had back in '86. Eventually moved to a 2" J frame in an ankle holster. That worked well for several years. Started carrying a G19 in '96 and that lasted until about 2015 when I split carry time between an XDs and Combat Commander. About 2017 moved to an M&P Shield in 45, 2019 saw the adoption of a Sig M11, 2020 moved to a P365 and now I find myself dabbling with a S&W 642.

I find myself looking for the optimum balance of weight, size and stopping power. I highly doubt I'll ever find myself in a protracted firefight walking the dog, doing the weekly shopping, running errands, dining out or going to the theater. At least not in the areas I frequent. If I feel I'm going to head into more hostile territory, then I would carry accordingly.

When I first started many decades ago it was a GM 1911 with at least one extra mag. Since I was in really good shape back then I often carried "Mexican Style" with just a shirt to hide it. After middle age spread set in I had to start using a holster, later suspenders were a god sent :D
Still prefer the 1911, most often use an ISWB left handed worn on right side. When in good shape I carried the pistol this way with no holster. When I would not carry the GM, it was a 5 shot wheel gun, normally 0ne extra load in speed loader. When the little micro 9s hit that was the end of the wheel guns for me. Still often carry an old, much maligned, Kel-Tec 9mm that carries 11. Damn little thing still impressed me with how damn light and easy to carry it is. With it I always keep at least one extra mag. Always of course a decent blade with me. Normally always have a "pocket pistol" ever since KT hit with the first .32. Now days its a Ruger LCPII goes in one pocket when pants go on. Stays there till the pants come off. I did several years ago take to using 10 round mags in the GM. Kept seeing too many video's of drug zombies who will not go down when hit. :eek:

from SW 638 to a beautiful Walther 99 to CZ 97 bd.

As my brother says, .45 ACP is God's chosen round.

But it's so big, I'm switching from crossbreed supertuck to a Ted Blocker shoulder rig. Don't want my trousers to fall down now, as Mick Jagger said

As time has progressed I have found that I carry more than I did in the past. Just more methodical and picky about what I carry.

Currently carry - Glock 45 w/ X300, extra mag, fixed blade, folding knife, handheld light, and most days a TQ.

In the past I have carried - Glock 27, Glock 26, S&W airweight, Sig C3, Sig P228, S&W shield, Glock 43, Glock 43x, Glock 48, Glock 17 and I'm sure I have missed a few. Haha

My firearm for EDC has changed a little....

At times past it has been a :
Ruger Security Six with a 2 3/4 barrel...
Or a 1970's era S&W Model 19 with a 4 inch barrel....

My main EDC however has been my dad's Series '70 Government Model in .45acp.

Holsters and belts have changed a lot .

As for the "Why" of the above.....different needs , mean different carry methods or carry firearms.
Andy

My firearm for EDC has changed a little....

At times past it has been a :
Ruger Security Six with a 2 3/4 barrel...
Or a 1970's era S&W Model 19 with a 4 inch barrel....

My main EDC however has been my dad's Series '70 Government Model in .45acp.

Holsters and belts have changed a lot .

As for the "Why" of the above.....different needs , mean different carry methods or carry firearms.
Andy
I always figured you were packing dueling pistols.

Well...I do have a Joseph Barber flintlock pocket pistol circa 1760 or so....
I could carry that...but that would just be silly , when I have a Colt 1860 Army....:D
Andy
LOL, I was at a gun store the other day selling a 44mag to another outstanding member, and I went through my laundry list of wants: Winchester Model 12 in 20ga, Sig 22x pistols, Colt SAA, Colt Woodsman, HK 45T, AR rifle handguards or stock. They struck out across the board.

Guns have changed over the years, but biggest update has been to have OC, white light and a blade with me nearly always now. I've learned a lot and updated my thinking from great comments on this forum.

My EDC pistol has always been a subcompact 380 - Ruger LCP, KelTec P3AT, etc. Hated them all, but I was accurate enough with them and figured they were small enough to always carry, which was the important part. Then I bought the Glock 42 and haven't looked back since. The +2 baseplates are a game-changer, makes it handle like a compact instead of a subcompact.

The rest has fluctuated a bit over time - knife has always been there, then added the flashlight, then the Kubaton. That's been pretty static for several years now. Used to carry the Surefire MicroStream, but a friend gave me a tiny rechargeable EDC flashlight last year, and that's been in my pocket ever since. Bright as hell, has momentary on/off, strobe, multiple brightness settings, etc. Even works as a lantern if you press the buttons enough times. Not familiar with the brand name, but it's held up great so far and rarely needs to be charged.

The biggest change to my EDC has been the trauma kit. I realized I was unprepared to deal with any kind of medical emergency, and that those are probably more likely to pop up than anything else. Wanted something to go in my back pocket, so had to be as thin as possible. Shopped around, closest thing I could find was the LTC Pocket atrauma kit, but it's too thick for me to back-pocket carry. So I improvised - bought one of those KelTec pocket gun rugs they ship with the P3AT, added a SWAT-T, quikclot, gloves, mini duct tape, alcohol wipes, and a mini sharpie (not pictured).

It'll do for now, but still needs to slim down further. Figure I'm not the only person who might want something like this, so having a company make a custom wallet/pouch for the purpose. In fact, I should get prototypes back from them next week - if it works as good as I think it will, I'll probably sell them online. Will post pics when I get it.

20220221_095653.jpg 20220221_095811.jpg 20220220_131339.jpg

I've carried a few different Glocks. G45, G19, G43, G48. I used to pocket carry an LCP and a Kahr CW9. Don't own either of those anymore but I have been toying around with another pocket carry option for certain circumstances only. Pocket isn't my favorite way to carry, I don't like large items in my pockets and for me it always seemed slow to draw. But here and there I find myself in a situation where it would be better than nothing. Mabe a new LCP max? I don't know.

The biggest change for me personally other than holsters is carrying a fixed blade on a daily basis. In no way do I claim to be some "knife fighter" but the principle behind it and it's effectiveness in tight/up close and personal altercations has me carrying one along with a folder that I use for daily tasks. I hope I never have to use it though. Along with my firearm.

The amount of time I spend driving and sitting in a vehicle, having a knife on my "weak side" could be very beneficial if a scenario took place inside the cab of my truck.

Being a retired gentleman who had to wear suits and ties for 45 years of my life, my wardrobe now consists of light cotton shorts and in a extreme weather event, sweatshirt weight sweat pants...My LCP II rides comfortably concealed in the pocket of both outfits...Prior to my retirement and the LCP my EDC was a G19 IWB Kydex rig...Never had a problem until walking on the beach one day, looking like a freshly retired fellow in my new daily attire, 2 a**holes asked me to hand over my cash and watch...My G19 was safe in the lockbox under the front seat of my truck 250 yards away...Long story short, they didn't get my $ and watch and I will never again be caught with just my 3" Kershaw folder for Self defense! I am proficient out to 25' with the Ruger but figure that it's best application would be to blow the brains out of an assailant who is on top of me beating the crap out of me...7 rounds of .380 applied at point blank point range should cause most attackers to reconsider their plan...I practice daily extracting the LCP from my pocket...That's the biggest challenge...I have no illusions about my ability to intercede in a active shooter scenario with a 3" barrel but also don't have any inclination to try.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top