JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In 1973 it was a 6" M28 Smith in a Brauer shoulder rig. Then in 1974 it was a .45 ACP Colt Combat Commander in a similar rig. Then Col. Cooper convinced me to try something like the Yaqui slide, which also worked well, if not 100% concealable. With the advent of fanny packs, I switched from the foregoing to an AMT DAO Backup in 45, or sometimes a Taurus SS model 85. Now trying the various kydex holsters to see which is a good fit.

I've carried a few different Glocks. G45, G19, G43, G48. I used to pocket carry an LCP and a Kahr CW9. Don't own either of those anymore but I have been toying around with another pocket carry option for certain circumstances only. Pocket isn't my favorite way to carry, I don't like large items in my pockets and for me it always seemed slow to draw. But here and there I find myself in a situation where it would be better than nothing. Mabe a new LCP max? I don't know.
For me a pocket gun was always a "if I am going to have nothing, this will beat hell out of that" kind of thing. Those times when I want to run to the corner store, or just go out to the car to grab something and do not want to carry? If I had something that was always in the pocket? At least I had something. Not to mention around the house if I always have something. Most likely never need it but, if I ever do? Will be glad it was there I guess. :D

For me a pocket gun was always a "if I am going to have nothing, this will beat hell out of that" kind of thing. Those times when I want to run to the corner store, or just go out to the car to grab something and do not want to carry? If I had something that was always in the pocket? At least I had something. Not to mention around the house if I always have something. Most likely never need it but, if I ever do? Will be glad it was there I guess. :D
I don't "pocket carry" anymore - used to at first, but quickly moved away from it because i carry other stuff in my pockets and couldn't count on a clean and reliable draw that way. I do carry pocket-sized pistols, they just go in a holster. Even with the +2 extensions I can carry the G42 around 3-o'clock and not print wearing just a tee shirt. Wish they made a double-stack or generally higher cap version though. The size / mag capacity tradeoff sucks.

EDC to me means pistol, knife, flashlight, and paracord
1972: Camillus Cub Scout pocket knife
1980: No pistol, Gerber LST (original size), Pelican flashlight,10' of paracord
1988: Added Detonics Pocket 9 pistol
2014: Detonics Pocket 9, SOG Aegis, Pelican flashlight, 10' of paracord
2018: Replaced the Detonics with an M&P Shield
2019 to now: M&P Shield, SOG Aegis, Streamlight E1B flashlight, 10' of paracord

As you can see I'm somewhat flighty having made five changes in the last 50 years

I don't "pocket carry" anymore - used to at first, but quickly moved away from it because i carry other stuff in my pockets and couldn't count on a clean and reliable draw that way. I do carry pocket-sized pistols, they just go in a holster. Even with the +2 extensions I can carry the G42 around 3-o'clock and not print wearing just a tee shirt. Wish they made a double-stack or generally higher cap version though. The size / mag capacity tradeoff sucks.
For anyone who wants to pocket carry there are a couple hard fast rules. 1 is NOTHING goes in the pocket the gun is in except the gun. I have not seen it but have read of a few guys shooting themselves in the leg trying to fish keys out of a pocket that had a gun in it. 2 is when the pants come out of the dryer you turn that pocket out and shake the lint out so its clean. Have read of a few caring for good while and then find the gun crammed with lint. :eek:

5 Years Ago: a lot of stuff between Wallet, Phone, Keys and Kahr CW9 / Shield 9mm / LCP II

Now: everything is minimized as much as possible...wallet is one of those new ones that holds the same amount but thinner, iPhone is much thinner than what I had 10 years ago, Keys are now combined in a Keysmart Max and guns have changed to a P365X or LCP Max...interestingly enought he only thing that I carry more of now is ammo since both guns carry far more rounds.

Used to carry gun (45), knife, Wave and flashlight.
Shifted to 9mm single stack.
Dropped the Wave and flashlight, they now ride in my pack with FAK, 2nd knife, two more lights and piano wire.
Now just a 380 and a sharper knife.

Have on multiple occasions worn my CZ82 in its policeman's square "map pouch" holster with spare mags and no one seems to notice (or recognize) it. :confused:

I have not owned any handguns for several years. NO open or conceal carry handguns for me.

I do carry a BUCK 113 Ranger Skinner FIXED blade knife MOST of the time or ANOTHER fixed blade knife.

My #113 is several years old and has a walnut handle.

I have several fixed blade knives to choose from too. Name brand, quality made, and easy for me to use knives. From very small, small, medium to large depending on what I am doing and where I am going.

I do not use folding or pocket knives now too. I used to own some sweet and beautiful ones but I gave them to my MT husband, gifted some to friends/family and donated a few too.

I am much MORE into very specific knives, a few axes and 'hawks than firearms now too!

I have good and bad days. I do use a sturdy cane on and off. I do NOT need it all of the time.

Old Lady Cate
PS: My senior citizen husband has changed HIS own open and conceal carry handguns around a LOT due to his age, some of his own health/physical issues, weight/size of handgun, massive downsizing and massive caliber consolidation too. The MAIN thing for him were issues with his neck, hands and wrists. That made him start to change some of his firearms around from the gitgo even BEFORE he retired. Plus he was more careful while he was working since his hands were a big part of his high stress 24/7 job description. (Handguns in 45acp, .380acp and 22lr for now and he still shoots his CF and RF rifles but he no longer owns a shotgun.)

He ALWAYS has a knife (Pocket, folding or fixed blade.) on him AND has a multi tool kit on his leather belt. That is OLD news. The knives may vary especially since he retired. His multi tool kit is a Leatherman OR a Swiss Army Knife brand. He may still have a third multi tool kit or he may have given that one away. I CRS now on the third one!

Last Edited:
At work. And off work. This is what I carry the majority of the time. It's taken over 10+ years to figure out what I like to carry.

5037705E-D9EE-448C-9199-3E0DC17D700E.jpeg

Used to be a smaller 7 round pistol. I dont look for trouble. 7 rounds would allow me to stop the threat, if necessary.
Then the riots started, i then started carrying a pistol with 15 rounds plus one magazine.

Again i dont look for trouble but with what seemed to be the possibility of violence erupting suddenly just about anywhere during the "Summer of Love" in Potlandistan. I consciously made the decision to not be a victim of those riots/lunatics.

I've always carried a blade and light.

My EDC has stayed the same, a 40 Shield. My truck console gun when I thought the perseved threat might be a one on one car jacking was a 44 Special Bulldog loaded with hollow points. Now days with the perseved threat being getting attacked by a mob I've changed up to a G-22 40 cal with 3 magazines all full of JHP's.

I've enjoyed reading all the comments on this thread. I am an old man and have found the issues that impact my edc are physical limitations. My hands have become recoil sensitive with age, so I have had to adapt accordingly. I currently carry a small SW 43c revolver. I know all the arguments against a 22LR for self-defense and it wouldn't be my first choice if not for the issues I have mentioned. The most important thing I do is practice. I still love going to the range and I shoot and practice. I know too many people that have guns for EDC and never shoot them and that puts them at a real disadvantage.
I think practice and recognizing and adapting to changes in what you are able to do are important if you carry a gun. I should also mention, I do my best to stay out of situations and areas where a gun is more likely to be needed, but those boundaries are really blurred in this day and age.

Thanks again for all your comments.

Started with a 1911 IWB, about 20 yrs ago. Last 15 yrs, pocket guns.

If I was in a "gun profession" it would probably be…a 1911 IWB.

I did a concealed carry class last week. Got in the usual argument with the instructor on whether open carry was a good idea. Had to show him a picture of a cop and asked him what was stopping EVERYONE from taking his gun out of his holster and killing him with it because he was of the opinion it happens all the time to open carriers.

Arguing with instructors. Reminded me of college.

Police have a lot of perceived abilities. How many small females are attacked while walking a pitbull? Meaning, not worth the trouble to find out.

Who knows the number of open carrying people attacked, but I am sure it's small. Ironically, the most likely places for it to happen don't allow it.

I grew up in Cali with a Buck Goliath knife for years. It came out of my pocket a few times.

I got my ccw and bought a Ruger Lc9. HATED it.

Sig P 238,
then 938,
then p365
I also carry revolvers at times, and usually have a NAA mini revolver on hand as well as an automatic spyderco.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top