JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The last 10 years I've carried an XDM40 compact either open OWB or concealed in an IWB holster.
I started off wearing a belt but that proved to be problematic with my lower back pain. I started wearing suspenders and one size larger pants, you know like MC Hammer pants.. not really. :p

I'm looking for an older single stack S&W S/A pistol because I really regret selling my old S&W 439. :s0058::s0058::s0058:

Last Edited:
Many years ago I had an experience that changed my entire mindset when it comes to my CCW. Ever since I first got my concealed permit I exclusively carried pocket pistols for the convenience of their size, concealability and because I judged that it was all I would likely need to defend myself. My primary carry pistol was a Kel-Tec P3AT with a single magazine, carried in my front pocket in a pocket holster.

My mind-changing event occurred when my wife and I were visiting downtown Portland one evening and were sitting on a bench eating some street tacos after having spent some time with friends. While eating, multiple gunshots suddenly rang out from what I determined was around a block away, some of which struck the store front and sidewalk about 30 or 40 feet away from us. I don't have much information about what exactly happened, but I later learned that it was some kind of gang dispute gone bad, with no one injured or dead.

When those gunshots started, my immediate thought besides wanting to find cover and retreat was that my small pocket pistol was woefully inadequate for protecting myself from a threat at anywhere near that distance, and I found myself immediately wishing I had a pistol with a large sight radius and a higher magazine capacity.

So, the very next day, I retired my P3AT as my carry pistol and started experimenting with larger carry pistols in different carry configurations. In short, I went from a Glock 17 at 4 o'clock (which turned out to be too hard to conceal), to a Glock 19 at appendix (likewise, somewhat hard for me to conceal due to grip length), and finally to a Glock 26"L" (grip-chopped G19) at appendix which turned out to fit my needs perfectly, and is what I've been carrying ever since.

I also started training at longer ranges with my carry pistol, and eventually equipped my carry pistol with a red dot sight and tall iron sights, which I find makes it easier for me to make accurate shots at longer ranges while still being able to use the irons if the red dot fails.

Along with my G26L I now carry a single spare magazine (G17 magazine) on my person, and two extended G17 magazines in my day bag that I usually have with me.

Many years ago I had an experience that changed my entire mindset when it comes to my CCW. Ever since I first got my concealed permit I exclusively carried pocket pistols for the convenience of their size, concealability and because I judged that it was all I would likely need to defend myself. My primary carry pistol was a Kel-Tec P3AT with a single magazine, carried in my front pocket in a pocket holster.

My mind-changing event occurred when my wife and I were visiting downtown Portland one evening and were sitting on a bench eating some street tacos after having spent some time with friends. While eating, multiple gunshots suddenly rang out from what I determined was around a block away, some of which struck the store front and sidewalk about 30 or 40 feet away from us. I don't have much information about what exactly happened, but I later learned that it was some kind of gang dispute gone bad, with no one injured or dead.

When those gunshots started, my immediate thought besides wanting to find cover and retreat was that my small pocket pistol was woefully inadequate for protecting myself from a threat at anywhere near that distance, and I found myself immediately wishing I had a pistol with a large sight radius and a higher magazine capacity.

So, the very next day, I retired my P3AT as my carry pistol and started experimenting with larger carry pistols in different carry configurations. In short, I went from a Glock 17 at 4 o'clock (which turned out to be too hard to conceal), to a Glock 19 at appendix (likewise, somewhat hard for me to conceal due to grip length), and finally to a Glock 26"L" (grip-chopped G19) at appendix which turned out to fit my needs perfectly, and is what I've been carrying ever since.

I also started training at longer ranges with my carry pistol, and eventually equipped my carry pistol with a red dot sight and tall iron sights, which I find makes it easier for me to make accurate shots at longer ranges while still being able to use the irons if the red dot fails.

Along with my G26L I now carry a single spare magazine (G17 magazine) on my person, and two extended G17 magazines in my day bag that I usually have with me.
Glad you brought that up. My "EDC" has changed as my skills/mentality and importantly my environment has changed. I now work in Portland and live on the outskirts of the Portland metro area. As crime increases and goes unpunished along side with the slow response time and poor staffing of LE agencies I have to be my own first response even more than before. My family's life depends on it. And I don't have the time or patience to wait for LE.

Glad you brought that up. My "EDC" has changed as my skills/mentality and importantly my environment has changed. I now work in Portland and live on the outskirts of the Portland metro area. As crime increases and goes unpunished along side with the slow response time and poor staffing of LE agencies I have to be my own first response even more than before. My family's life depends on it. And I don't have the time or patience to wait for LE.
When I first started carrying, I carried a Ruger P89. And subsequently I would look at guns that had manual safeties because....well......that's what everyone recommended. Now that I've got some more years under my belt and LOTS more training and practice I realize that yes, we tend to EVOLVE as we go and find what works for us. For me, that's a Glock. For others, whatever you can carry EVERY DAY and shoot well. :)

When I first started carrying, I carried a Ruger P89. And subsequently I would look at guns that had manual safeties because....well......that's what everyone recommended. Now that I've got some more years under my belt and LOTS more training and practice I realize that yes, we tend to EVOLVE as we go and find what works for us. For me, that's a Glock. For others, whatever you can carry EVERY DAY and shoot well. :)
I agree 100% and to this day I still tweak with what I carry on a daily basis. Location. Brands. Ect. It's a pretty fluid action that can change from time to time.

Originally I started carrying with an empty chamber and like you said (a gun with a manual safety). Now I would never ever do that. One in the chamber. No "manual safety" cause Glock. And my gun is carried appendix which would have made me nervous at first when I began carrying concealed.

It's definitely something that evolves over time.

I've always switched my carry items around in an attempt to find what I like best.
Usually I carry a G43 or G19. Lately it's been a j frame .38 because I haven't left the house much the last couple weeks (had the coof). But, I do like carrying 1911s too, so today I bought a ronin EMP 9.
Always have a leatherman and a folding knife. And a lighter, even though I don't smoke. Should always have a lighter and a knife.
Flashlights are good to have. I always have one for work, so I don't use a weapon light. Tried that, hated it.
I always carry a bunch of schit in my bag, but it's usually in my office. Building out tool bags with med stuff for work, so I have tools and med at hand.

I've always switched my carry items around in an attempt to find what I like best.
Usually I carry a G43 or G19. Lately it's been a j frame .38 because I haven't left the house much the last couple weeks (had the coof). But, I do like carrying 1911s too, so today I bought a ronin EMP 9.
Always have a leatherman and a folding knife. And a lighter, even though I don't smoke. Should always have a lighter and a knife.
Flashlights are good to have. I always have one for work, so I don't use a weapon light. Tried that, hated it.
I always carry a bunch of schit in my bag, but it's usually in my office. Building out tool bags with med stuff for work, so I have tools and med at hand.
Took me awhile to get used to carrying a pistol with a weapon light as well. At first I was just like you and hated it. I have just become used to the discomfort…. I think. Haha.

I got lazy too when my wife and I had it. After a couple weeks of no carry I had to kinda get "used" to it again LOL.

Took me awhile to get used to carrying a pistol with a weapon light as well. At first I was just like you and hated it. I have just become used to the discomfort…. I think. Haha.
Until you slide that skinny little thing into your pants.......ah.......the G48. :D

The discomfort wasn't really an issue so much as finding left hand IWB holsters that can accommodate a light. I got so annoyed trying to find a decent one I just said F it and just got a better pocket light.

The discomfort wasn't really an issue so much as finding left hand IWB holsters that can accommodate a light. I got so annoyed trying to find a decent one I just said F it and just got a better pocket light.
I'm also left handed. But the Glock+Surefire x300 is such a common combo I haven't ran into an issue finding holsters thankfully.

Being a lefty sometimes sucks. We have way less options and even when we find something it takes forever to show up. Nobody stocks lefty stuff it seems.

I'm also left handed. But the Glock+Surefire x300 is such a common combo I haven't ran into an issue finding holsters thankfully.
That's good to know. I was using a TLR6, which I thought would be common to the point of ubiquity. I'll see about the surefire. I was going streamlight for my 43. Whatever lol, I'll just throw more money at it haha

I was off for 5 days with Covid and then had a 4 day weekend scheduled for some bday plans. I have to get used to being downtown again! Goddamn.
I'm just glad you got through it unscathed. Not the funnest thing I've ever experienced. :D

My mind-changing event occurred when my wife and I were visiting downtown Portland one evening and were sitting on a bench eating some street tacos after having spent some time with friends.
So many self defense lessons and epiphanies start with, "No bubblegum, there I was in Portland, minding my own business..."

Great story and thanks for sharing the mindset with it.

I remember this same thing was asked a couple years ago and my response was "nothing has changed". Well I have to say with the massive shootings we are having in Portland and the extremely high round counts I am changing.

Look at this shooting from last night, 4 people in the car and 1 dead 3 wounded. Lots of hits. Lots of penetrations. Looks like rifle fire to me. Normal edc may leave u outgunned.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top