JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Events in Haiti and other recent disasters show how quickly things degrade and it's every man for themselves.
Security at distribution points delayed vital supplies getting to the victims.

People are arrested for looting, and I'm sure there's worse than that going on.

Would you be any different? I'm asking in here as most have a survival mindset and it sounds like most are prepared and would also be willing to do whatever is necessary to ensure their own survival and that of their loved ones.

Would you prepared to loot from stores? Destroyed homes?
Would you kill for food or water?

Hopefully being prepared will mean I wouldn't need to wait for relief, but anything can happen.

I think I could be capable of stealing food and supplies from a store but I wouldn't take another's life for water or food.

If caught looting would you give up and allow yourself to be arrested or would you fight to escape, even if those enforcing the law were there to help you?

IMO people who loot are the same people who are used to having everything handed to them. When their supply is cut off, they turn to stealing and/or violence. If you are so dependant on the society/government that you can't survive for a minimum of 3-5 days on your own (before the aide gets to you, assuming that aide is coming), then you should rethink the way you are living.

I would try to stay far away from any looting. People always end up getting hurt or worse, and I have enough stuff ready to take care of myself. All the good stuff would probably be gone by the time you got to the stores anyways. :s0155:

People may not want to take a life for food/water but often that isn't up to you. If you have a gun and someone else with a gun wants what you have they'll most likely start shooting before you have time to react peacefully. There's a lot of truth to "he who lives by the sword will die by the sword", If you don't have a weapon the intimidation factor will be enough to not start a conflict.

Personally I'd let people do what they wanted to, stores that are sitting under tons of rubble are considered to be a insurrance loss anyway. It may be considered looting but in reality it's considered survival.

I think in America we'd fair much better then other contries but still, after the first week without power/water the only laws that will apply will be survival of the fittest. At that point, I'd do what I had too to ensure my and my loved ones survival.

That's what makes me love this area, you can drive about 20-30 mins in any direction and be out in the wild. Food, shelter, safety for years. Unless it's a nuclear attack. Then it's zombie killing time.
I'm actually moving this summer to Kentucky and that's one thing I will miss about this area. I grew up camping, hiking, was in an explorer post for search and rescue, also certified SAR. You have anything and everything you will ever need in the woods.
However, my Fiance's family has a lot of land in Ohio and do a lot of farming so they all know how to be self-suffiecient as well. Anyone know how racoons taste?

WOW!
I had no idea. I was actually joking with my fiance about it the other night. Her Dad goes Racoon hunting a couple times a week, more for sport and when they were kids the coon hides were worth some good money. But were getting married in July and moving to KY after the wedding, just packing up and leaving so I told her if we can't find jobs were living in the car and cooking racoons on the coleman. But I would totally eat them. I also heard Opossoms were good eatin in WV. I'm up for anything as long as it's cooked and you can always throw more BBQ sauce on it :s0155:

IMO people who loot are the same people who are used to having everything handed to them. When their supply is cut off, they turn to stealing and/or violence. If you are so dependant on the society/government that you can't survive for a minimum of 3-5 days on your own (before the aide gets to you, assuming that aide is coming), then you should rethink the way you are living.

I would try to stay far away from any looting. People always end up getting hurt or worse, and I have enough stuff ready to take care of myself. All the good stuff would probably be gone by the time you got to the stores anyways. :s0155:

Well said. Likely the weak, welfare dependant types will be the first offenders.
Fortunately, they arent well armed if even at all. That will likely change when they steal and rob from others.

Times of hardship will bring out of you what you really believe in. A man of principles will live by them and a man without principles will die by them. What you see happening will happen to you and yours next if you don't stop it.

jj

I wont discuss the specifics of what I would or wouldn't do on an open forum...

Nevertheless, I would do anything and everything necessary to protect my family. I think that statement alonse says it all.

:D just make sure you do it in your own neighborhood :s0112::s0112: everyone else is willing to do the same to you as you to them and they might just be a little more ready than you are.:s0112:

See if everyone was moral then there wouldn't be any need for violence but when some feel they are above the rest then the fight is on. Who is left standing will be more than just chance.

jj

When (if) you have kids, just about anything to ensure their safety & survival. At least I would for my boy, if its a truly catasrophic event where the entire infrastructure is gone.

That right there is where survival planning gets tricky for me.
I may be physically capable of bugging out and packing 75lbs, 20 miles a day, roughing it, but my wife and kids aren't. I have a 3 and 5 year old.

For those of you with young kids you have probably thought about this a lot.
What do you do if an event happens while you're not home or they are at school?
What if I can't get to them because the bridges are down due to earthquakes?

Once I get them, if roads are out, could we get out of the city on foot?

That right there is where survival planning gets tricky for me.
I may be physically capable of bugging out and packing 75lbs, 20 miles a day, roughing it, but my wife and kids aren't. I have a 3 and 5 year old.

For those of you with young kids you have probably thought about this a lot.
What do you do if an event happens while you're not home or they are at school?
What if I can't get to them because the bridges are down due to earthquakes?

Once I get them, if roads are out, could we get out of the city on foot?

I know how you feel. My son is 3.5yrs old and my number one concern.

And that right there is why you simply have to trust God and your fellow man......

You will never know where your next personal emergency will come from , when it's gonna get here and how many other folks will be involved.....If your kids are in school, you kinda have to trust the teachers, staff and admin. with their care...just as you would any other day...

Collectively , we all have to hope that police, fire, business and volunteers will be working to restore some sense of normalcy...

History has given us examples of the tragedies we face....and examples of how to face adversity....and if whomever is experiencing their next personal emergency make a good assessment, pool their resources and work together...everyone comes through quicker and better....

As hard as that sounds...if you're the guy with your finger in the dike....ya gotta trust that someone else will look over the family....Just ask Cap'n Issac Davis or Cap'n J. Parker.....Both of them fellas sacrificed a lot for us....and their lines both continued......

W44

And that right there is why you simply have to trust God and your fellow man......

You will never know where your next personal emergency will come from , when it's gonna get here and how many other folks will be involved.....If your kids are in school, you kinda have to trust the teachers, staff and admin. with their care...just as you would any other day...

Collectively , we all have to hope that police, fire, business and volunteers will be working to restore some sense of normalcy...

History has given us examples of the tragedies we face....and examples of how to face adversity....and if whomever is experiencing their next personal emergency make a good assessment, pool their resources and work together...everyone comes through quicker and better....

As hard as that sounds...if you're the guy with your finger in the dike....ya gotta trust that someone else will look over the family....Just ask Cap'n Issac Davis or Cap'n J. Parker.....Both of them fellas sacrificed a lot for us....and their lines both continued......

W44

:D:D:D and if that fails then you better steal from your liberal friends, conservatives won't put up with it.:s0112::s0112::s0112:

jj

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top