JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not Hornady, but I finally found some Gold Dot 9mm 124gr and 45acp 230gr standard pressure on line. None of the local stores have and any for quite awhile and even on line the non +p was hard to find. I am now good to go with carry ammo.

So for what it's worth, yea, you do come across looking like a DeltaBravo when you say "waah buy now" but really, ammo prices are the lowest I've seen since 2006-7 (when I first started in this industry). If you look you can find factory new .223 M193 for ~250-280/k, that's damn good. On the other hand, the sudden drop in the market is causing some headaches, but they're fairly minor, lets me get back to getting some of my to-do list out of the way.

If you are looking to stock up, now is a good time to do so. Personally, I've never been that impressed with hornady's defensive ammo, and for the common FMJ, there's plenty of cheaper brands.

Don't forget ammo cans with good seals!

I was reminded of good seals when I went from the Valley to Sunriver and opened my can at SR and heard a good woosh.... Glad my couple of extra boxes are stored in an ammo can.

Two boxes is preparation right?

Don't forget ammo cans with good seals!

I was reminded of good seals when I went from the Valley to Sunriver and opened my can at SR and heard a good woosh.... Glad my couple of extra boxes are stored in an ammo can.

Two boxes is preparation right?

Yes th?id=OIP.Mdfa41a689eeea6689e4997de95717842o0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=232&h=174.jpg :p

I so fear Monica Lewinsky's ex boyfriends wife getting elected that I am preparing for more high capacity magazine bans, and a ban on online ammunition sales. I purchase almost all my ammo online. I believe ammo will never be cheaper or as easy to attain as it is now. Whenever I am close to Walmart or Cabelas I am buying. Fortunate to have the funds. This is from last week as I had to travel along I-5 and was fortunate the availability provided success.

20160322_105539.jpg 20160324_170616.jpg

If you have a choice go for the Turkish 556 60 grn ammo, the PMC has a reputation of high muzzle flash (at night)
There is also New Tula Golden Bear Mfg in Taiwan that is NATO spec. (maybe lower velocity due to lighter load, check specs).
I would go w/Privi/Tula/Perfecta (Turk).
Buy it cheap...stack it on it's heado_O

If you have a choice go for the Turkish 556 60 grn ammo, the PMC has a reputation of high muzzle flash (at night)
There is also New Tula Golden Bear Mfg in Taiwan that is NATO spec. (maybe lower velocity due to lighter load, check specs).
I would go w/Privi/Tula/Perfecta (Turk).
Buy it cheap...stack it on it's heado_O

The Golden Bear components have flooded the market, so far I'm not seeing great results with it, I've been getting a lot of case head separations on reloading. So it's pretty much a one-and-done. PRVI as far as being a budget brand is my absolute favorite brass to reload, it's consistent, and cheap! I have probably 1000 rounds of .303 brit brass I've reloaded anywhere from once to five times and it's still going strong, despite the .303 being really hard on the brass.

Might also look around the IMI stuff often comes on the market at a few dollars below market on some of the online retailers and is usually good stuff.

If you have the money it can't hurt to stock up. If there's a shortage, you'll have the ammo. If there's no shortage, you won't have to buy any ammo for a while. If you buy a bunch of ammo and then kick the bucket, you'll never know you wasted your money.
Or your family will have the ammo - worst case, they can sell it, probably at a profit.

I just got 1K rounds of Rem. 9mm JHP delivered yesterday. I also have that amount in FMJ for practice ammo.

The Golden Bear components have flooded the market, so far I'm not seeing great results with it, I've been getting a lot of case head separations on reloading. So it's pretty much a one-and-done. PRVI as far as being a budget brand is my absolute favorite brass to reload, it's consistent, and cheap! I have probably 1000 rounds of .303 brit brass I've reloaded anywhere from once to five times and it's still going strong, despite the .303 being really hard on the brass.

Might also look around the IMI stuff often comes on the market at a few dollars below market on some of the online retailers and is usually good stuff.

I was shopping for the best deal and noticed some IMI JHP 9mm ammo. Then went to look at ballistic gel tests. It didn't expand one iota.

I don't buy most foreign ammo anymore - especially ex-Soviet bloc ammo - except as practice ammo - which I already have plenty of. I buy expanding ammo, and only after looking at ballistic gel tests, preferably by multiple different people.

I was shopping for the best deal and noticed some IMI JHP 9mm ammo. Then went to look at ballistic gel tests. It didn't expand one iota.

I don't buy most foreign ammo anymore - especially ex-Soviet bloc ammo - except as practice ammo - which I already have plenty of. I buy expanding ammo, and only after looking at ballistic gel tests, preferably by multiple different people.

Generally, unless you're paying a premium, I consider most "JHP" to be little better than ball ammo, most of it is absolutely terrible. There's very little I'm willing to spend coin on, for JHP, I tend to stick with PDX1, Ranger SXT, or Gold dots. Most of the bullets that have come out in the last 15 years are so are usually worth it, anything older than the 90's should be considered too antiquated to use.

Plated/Bonded bullets are so far the best, most reliable in terms of expansion and performance, one of my customers has me load hornady xtp, in a variety of calibers, really, I'm so underwhelmed with the performance, even though i can get them for free I still buy defense ammo. I have some Rainier Ballistics 124gr HP bullets I'm supposed to do a gel test on, from what I've seen so far I think they should perform well, in general swaged bullets always perform better in terms of expansion and weight retention, bonded bullets prevent jacket shedding. While I don't think the Rainier will be a go-to for daily defensive ammo, I think they would certainly stack up well enough to have a few thousand loaded for a SHTF stash. I'll keep you guys in the loop on 'em.

As for the over-all performance of most ammo, unless it's defense/hunting ammo, don't count on it expanding. Some people I know were hanging onto some of the frangible type ammo made by ICC using sinter-fire bullets, frankly, they're garbage, the bullets perform worse than ball ammo in gel tests. (did you think that was possible?)

Or your family will have the ammo - worst case, they can sell it, probably at a profit.

I just got 1K rounds of Rem. 9mm JHP delivered yesterday. I also have that amount in FMJ for practice ammo.

I feel the same way, my firearms, gear and ammunition is one of the few "investments" I actually feel good about. Worst case scenario my family could keep a couple things, sell the rest and be better off. My son has a nice "gift" when I pass on, hopefully his Son too and so on and so forth.

Heck, all this reading makes me want to go buy some more projectiles so I can reload another 1000 one day when I'm bored. Ok I lied. :(

I wonder how many "Buy up to stock up" or "Buy up to shoot up". Right now I'm pretty grateful that I'm still on the waiting list for Clark Rifles. My shooting opportunities are greatly curtailed and my stockpiles just keep growing.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top