JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sure one can always shoot back.
However , every action will have a consequence.

If you are ever involved in a shooting....
Be damn sure that you are in the right...and had no other options available to you.
Andy

That late night wellness check was as bad to watch as the acorn shooting.

Years ago this subject came up somewhere and shows its a good idea to keep a holster with the bedstand gun for investigating bumps in the night. Of course a heated debate ensued.

Also years ago I read about a case where a guy was pulled over and lawfully returned fire, was never charged. Its rare, but happens.

+1. Or a sling if your bump in the night gun is a rifle / shotgun
I vote for a rifle and sling. It's the whole adage of "a pistol is what you carry when you are not planning on having a gun fight, a rifle is what you carry when you are." "Bump in the night" might as well be planning on it as far as I am concerned.

Easier to carry naked, too. :s0140:
I'm all in favor of imitating the ancient Celts and running right at the enemy naked and armed. Back then it would have been a terrifying sight - a hoard of nude, hairy, bearded, wild-eyed warriors waving swords and axes as they charge the invaders. Now imaging a nude, hairy, bearded, wild-eyed dude charging down the hall at you with an AR and a bandolier of spare mags. Any home invader would take one look and be like...

1000002576.jpg

I'm all in favor of imitating the ancient Celts and running right at the enemy naked and armed. Back then it would have been a terrifying sight - a hoard of nude, hairy, bearded, wild-eyed warriors waving swords and axes as they charge the invaders. Now imaging a nude, hairy, bearded, wild-eyed dude charging down the hall at you with an AR and a bandolier of spare mags. Any home invader would take one look and be like...

View attachment 1830941
Soooo...about that nude hairy bearded wild eye dude.....

There I was ...awakened by a ruckus going on in the kitchen area around 0-Dark thirty one morning......
I get up out of bed to investigate the noise....
Noise as in lots thumps...scramblings...crashes....bumps ...etc....

Not really knowing what I am walking into...I pause and grab my one of my spears I keep in my library .
( Doesn't everyone keep a spear or two in their library ? )

I step around and into the kitchen...turning the light as I do so....
I see immediately what is causing all the fuss....
Our little black cat , Sally Mae , who was quite the hunter , brought in one of her outside toys...
A large , angry at being bitten and brought inside.... rat.

Sally and I form our battle plans....while she goes in for a frontal attack...
I'll flank the rat beastie....and stick 'em with my spear.....

All goes well and Mr. Rat is skewered on my spear...Sally Mae gives me a loud Meow by way of saying :
"Good Job"...or "Hey Gimme my toy back"...whatever.

At this point I get the feeling of being watched....
I turn and look out the window of our French style doors....
And see out new neighbors coming home and looking in on a very naked Andy , armed with a spear...which has a impaled rat...and a angry pu.....err...cat at his feet.

An epic scene to be sure , if painted by Frank Frazetta....
Not so epic as seen by new neighbors wondering WTF kind of place have we moved into..:eek: :D
Andy

There I was ...awakened by a ruckus going on in the kitchen area around 0-Dark thirty one morning......

Not really knowing what I am walking into...I pause and grab my one of my spears I keep in my library .

Our little black cat , Sally Mae , who was quite the hunter , brought in one of her outside toys...

All goes well and Mr. Rat is skewered on my spear...Sally Mae gives me a loud Meow by way of saying :

And see out new neighbors coming home and looking in on a very naked Andy , armed with a spear...which has a impaled rat...and a angry pu.....err...cat at his feet.

Not so epic as seen by new neighbors wondering WTF kind of place have we moved into..:eek: :D
Andy
Epic! I can imagine them from that day forward...

"Jeez, Andy is playing his music really loud. I'd ask him to turn it down, but..." *shudders* "Not worth it."

Incidentally, going to be ordering the shelves to build my library next month. Looks like I'll need to add some library spears to the list!

Andy
What kind of light do you have mounted to your speed? Surefire or Stream light? Do you have the laser that goes with it?

court citation and or precedence has already set that,
if you are raided by police and they have not announced themselves as police
you can shoot.
if you are answering your door at what ever hour and you see people with guns
and they try and get into your home and don't announce they are police, you can shoot.
and that is just two case's from the last 5 years.

As he said, legally you can. Whether or not you SHOULD is a whole other kettle of ducks.

If it's one on one, you must weigh the survival chances of returning fire vs surrendering...assuming that's a viable option.

If it's not one on one and there are several of the cop's buddies...as is often the case...then returning fire is probably only going to get you very very dead.

So choose wisely...and may the odds be ever in your favor.

Some more things to consider here....
Even if you are in the 'right" and are justified in shooting back at a law enforcement officer....

As noted in post #18....he will have back up either with him already or damn soon...
And just who do you think they will be shooting at ...?

Also ...Mostly likely anyone viewing you shooting at a law enforcement officer will probably see you as a "bad guy"...
And if they have a CPL , they may also shoot at you.

And maybe most importantly....
Just how often does a situation happen where you are needing to shoot back at law enforcement...?
Lots of things I wonder about / worry about...but this really ain't one of them.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads