JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
. The grass is pretty smashed down on the other side. I think he'd gotten her used to him being there and was petting her. Normally she'll wake out of a dead sleep and go nuts if she smells or hears anything out of the ordinary in the area much less inside the

AHHhhhhh! That is so freaking creepy!!!!

Gross!

Most people have a smoke alarm, why not a security alarm?

This concept is hard for a lot of people to believe apparently. As part of your overall security plan and preparations, you have to have every advantage you can over the bad guys, and prior knowledge of their presence in your area of security is important in how you plan and react.

Letting them get to your perimeter undetected is letting them have the first advantage and everything you do becomes reactive after that, and may not be what you would like to do or should do. I will be in control of my property and house and everyone who enters will be reactive, not me.

I have Simpli Safe alarms. It cost me $ 600 to set up my house and shop and it is $ 25 a month for the monitoring. I can monitor it from
the phone, turn it on and off. I am adding interactive cameras next month. I already have a driveway alarm. With today's technologies there is no excuse to not have an alarm system.

This concept is hard for a lot of people to believe apparently. As part of your overall security plan and preparations, you have to have every advantage you can over the bad guys, and prior knowledge of their presence in your area of security is important in how you plan and react.

Letting them get to your perimeter undetected is letting them have the first advantage and everything you do becomes reactive after that, and may not be what you would like to do or should do. I will be in control of my property and house and everyone who enters will be reactive, not me.

I have Simpli Safe alarms. It cost me $ 600 to set up my house and shop and it is $ 25 a month for the monitoring. I can monitor it from
the phone, turn it on and off. I am adding interactive cameras next month. I already have a driveway alarm. With today's technologies there is no excuse to not have an alarm system.

I am adding exterior infrared detectors soon so any heat signature any where around the exterior of my house will set off an alarm. Trees and shrubs wont set it off, but a dog might and people certainly will.

Don't care to much in the day time but like you said, really want to know if a person is outside before they get inside, mostly during the night but they will work day or night and then I can check the cams to see what is going on if I want.

I can also have it announce the "zone" that triggered the alarm so I know what cam to look at or where to expect the intruder to try and breach a door or window.

The infrared detectors are super simple, similar to motion detector lights but they work from heat and I can set the height above ground and also set the sensitivity that sets them off.

They are also pretty easy to conceal. They will probably mostly be good for detecting when my neighbors dog is crappin in my yard so I can remotely turn on the sprinklers or, get in some paint ball gun practice.

~

1) The cops have backup when they detain somebody. OP didn't, so telling the orc to hit the road (at gunpoint) was the best option.
2) Shooting the derelict would have brought more expense and inconvenience than it's worth.
3) If OP has another run-in with the orc, he will be justified in dealing with him as a serious threat since the orc threatened his life, right , right? o_O.
If he turns up again it's time for him to become Soylent Green (or cat food).
4) Bayonet on a fusil de boudoir might make it too long and unwieldy for in-home use.

Jacob Wayne Heinz
Criminal trespass 2nd degree
Criminal mischief 3rd degree
Criminal Trespass 1st degree

Also arrested for 2 counts of disorderly conduct in April and Criminal
trespass 2nd degree in May.
Just an update. His court date was 9/14 and I was there to watch him get his wrist slapped but 2 minutes before he was supposed to appear his attorney requested an extension. New court date was set for 11/14. Of course I was wondering what the deal was. Were they considering a not guilty plea? That would have been amusing as I'd stood 6-8 ft away from him and could make a positive ID. No, actually I think he may have been in jail in Salem as he was arrested the 12th in Marion county for 3 counts of criminal trespass II, 2 counts of criminal mischief III and 1 count of interfering with a peace officer. o_O

I passed that on to the prosecuting attorneys office plus the fact that he was chased out of the local Bimart here 2 weeks ago for attempted shoplifting. I showed up just about the time it was over with and the employee and manager that chased him asked me what the guy looked like that I'd run out of my house. I showed them his mugshot that I'd saved on the phone to show the neighbors and- "Thats him!!!" He'd dropped the back pack that he'd filled with wine and I don't think they pursued it since they didn't catch him. He really isn't very good at this stuff. :D

Anyway along with 4 counts of crim trespass II, 3 counts of crim mischief he's got the crim trespass I and interfering charge that each have a sentence of up to a year (class A misdemeanors) and $6,250 fine. Along with anything else he can rack up in the next month. Mind boggling....

Last Edited:
Someone needs the check the tire pressure on the Wheels of Justice.

#101: "The grass is pretty smashed down on the other side. I think he'd gotten her used to him being there and was petting her. Normally she'll wake out of a dead sleep and go nuts if she smells or hears anything out of the ordinary in the area much less inside the..."
A board with nails sticking up outside the window might make it a less comfy place for a peeping tom to hang out. :p

Better to whack them harder than you absolutely need than not hard enough. If I have to shoot I would prefer to leave a pile of shark chum on the floor to be removed with a shovel. When the time has come to employ lethal force (i.e. contending with an existential threat) there ain't no such thing as overkill. If it's not OK to blast the Orc with a 3" #000 Magnum elk load it's not OK to shoot him with anything. If I have to shoot somebody it's not because they have urinated me off - it's because they are a threat to my life, and the stopping power of a 12 ga is undisputed.
I humbly suggest that the home armory contain a selection of implements allowing one to choose to match the situation: several handguns, an autoloading carbine or 2, and at least one pump or auto shotgun.
Black Aces "Firearm" class auto shottie seems to me to be the ultimate fusil de boudoir.
452ad6_ce92a439809147e991aa25f31c3d5db3~mv2.jpg
Overkill? Hardly.

Just a thought, on Shotgun use in home there is a huge tradeoff.
Most people unless military trained have most likely never fired a showgun in a closed environment like a building.
The DB are off the charts in a home, with a shotgun, while any firearm would be loud. A shotgun with a shortbarrel would be disorienting as well as damn loud, maybe recover time quite long, if you didnt blow your ear drums out. Not to mention flash in a close room and if dark holy cow.
Go take that shotgun to a open field ( not recommended) and no ear protection fire it off, if you think that is loud? The acoustics in a building would make this maybe twice or three times higher levels.

I am not saying don't use a shotgun, as far as home use it is forgiving while your half awake and needing to hit that target. Plus a shotgun, has a very menacing look alone that would make a criminal piss where they stood.
I have hearing issues due to and explosion, and can tell you 100%, using a shotgun in a closed room, would and could leave you with permanent hearing loss. We have a DB meter we have used in testing some of these firearms. And a shotgun is about as loud as it gets for home use.

Just my two cents.....

1) Overkill: Tongue in cheek comment about shark chum aside, yeah the Persecuting Shyster can make a stink about overkill, but it's harder if you only fired Qty(1) shot, and better for me if that (1) shot puts the Orc on the trailer. One good thing about a shottie is the stopping power per round. If the choice is between 5-10 rds of 9mm or (1) of 12 ga the (1) is probably better. Real overkill is shooting the miscreant some more after he has been rendered hors de combat, and that would indeed be problematic. I said that overkill shouldn't be an issue vis-à-vis dealing with an existential threat, which would not include shooting after the threat has been neutralized. Yes indeed the Persecuting Shyster can rake you over the coals for any or no reason (prosecutorial discretion), but I'm still gonna use the most effective weapon for the circumstances and not keep shooting when the Orc is down or on the way out.
2) Guy in shower stall: I am not aware of the totality of circumstances so it's hard to say what I would do. Is the door or a window broken out indicating B&E? Is there stuff stacked up for removal? Am I the only one home? In the absence of sufficient information all I can say is that I wouldn't start shooting without ascertaining the threat level. I would very likely introduce myself as his host at gunpoint or high ready and let him decide what he wants to do. Call 911.
3) Gansta attitude: 71 YO Boeing retiree, no criminal record, disabled and unable to engage mano-a-mano or flee. I can appear in court with an oxygen cannula and a cane and shuffle. :D
4) Muzzle blast: Mouse ears next to the gun.

[SNIP]I personally don't think it's necessary for a shotty in the face and a bunch of tough guy talk, from the sound of the story it's pretty evident the idiot was drunk the night before and found himself in someone's dog bed. All in all I'm glad everything worked out for you and everyone is safe. BTW- did the officer want to check out your firearms and all the other stuff they like to do to see if you're legal? Curious

Actually I think you may have misread. From events that I and neighbors put together after the fact, the guy had been in the area for days casing the neighbors green houses (evidently thought there was pot) and other houses in the neighborhood (door and window locks broken), had groomed my dog (gave her dog treats ) so she wouldn't bark at him. He was eluding the police that had shown up to investigate the break in next door. The guy is a known criminal and drug addict. Was involved in a drug related stabbing that they couldn't pin on him so his buddy took the full rap.
No firearms questions and my holstered 45 was visible when the officer was here.

Not gonna get into the choice of firearm discussion other than as I mentioned that I had the option of handgun that was on my hip or to retrieve the 12 gauge which I did as it was the more visually/physically intimidating option. If someone is attacking me with evil intent I'm not going to be concerned with which option is going to kill him deader as long as it stops them one way or another.

I mentioned in my last post that he didn't show up for his court date Sept 14 as he was in jail in Marion county for 3 more counts of criminal trespass II and 2 more counts of criminal mischief II and one more class A misdemeanor. Just happened to check the Polk County inmate roster and he was arrested AGAIN on 11/1 for a couple more counts of criminal trespass. He's still in jail on this one so maybe they're finally starting to catch on. Ya think? :rolleyes:

Most people unless military trained have most likely never fired a showgun in a closed environment like a building.
The DB are off the charts in a home, with a shotgun, while any firearm would be loud. A shotgun with a shortbarrel would be disorienting as well as damn loud, maybe recover time quite long, if you didnt blow your ear drums out. Not to mention flash in a close room and if dark holy cow.
Go take that shotgun to a open field ( not recommended) and no ear protection fire it off, if you think that is loud? The acoustics in a building would make this maybe twice or three times higher levels.

I am not saying don't use a shotgun, as far as home use it is forgiving while your half awake and needing to hit that target. Plus a shotgun, has a very menacing look alone that would make a criminal piss where they stood.
I have hearing issues due to and explosion, and can tell you 100%, using a shotgun in a closed room, would and could leave you with permanent hearing loss. We have a DB meter we have used in testing some of these firearms. And a shotgun is about as loud as it gets for home use.

Just my two cents.....

I have shot inside w/o hearing protection a 9mm, 44 mag, 45 acp and 12ga they are all freaking loud.

Personally, I'll take a shotgun any day of the week over a handgun for HD. Bottom line, handguns suck at stopping people while shotguns excel at it, shotguns suck at fitting on the belt while handguns excel at it.

Last Edited:

Just my two cents.....

I'm shooting an 11.5" AR.... listen to how loud it is (even outdoors) and everyone stopping and getting out of the way.... LOL

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top