JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I fired a full power .357 inside once - just once
was deafened and blinded for 10 min
I load my 70 year old wife's home defense .357 with Buffalo Bore low flash .38 +P lead semi wad cutters now
since she has carpal tunnel, I reworked the trigger to break single action at 2lbs in her 7 shot Smith 686
with her disabilities, she can't handle the Mossberg Shockwave I keep by the bed
Right. The vast majority of police agencies etc. even if carrying a magnum revolver carried .38 +P, not magnums.

I fired a full power .357 inside once - just once
was deafened and blinded for 10 min
I load my 70 year old wife's home defense .357 with Buffalo Bore low flash .38 +P lead semi wad cutters now
since she has carpal tunnel, I reworked the trigger to break single action at 2lbs in her 7 shot Smith 686
with her disabilities, she can't handle the Mossberg Shockwave I keep by the bed
Betcha you weren't full of adrenaline, and granny was.

if you have ever watched the Dirty Harry movies, you know even Clint loaded .44 Special in his Model 29
between my son, myself and my wife, we have 5 .357 revolvers, but seldom fire full power loads
For generations us law enforcement agencies carried 18 rounds of standard pressure .38 LRN.
SWC's in comparison are much better than LRN but they didn't carry those.

Energy levels of .38 vs .357 vs .41 magnum. 4" and 6" marked in red. Look at snubnose numbers, wow. I've never shot .41 magnum. .357 feels tame in my 6" revolver. Never shot .357 in a snub nose. Not a fan of 38 special for my preferences.

.38 special
08EB515B-7D12-4C85-A2B7-63ABE84CF4EC.jpeg
.357 magnum
3745D319-61B8-4E3B-AF70-FA39745F52FC.jpeg
.41 magnum
EA645112-D577-42A6-9B67-4A3CB57F023B.jpeg

Last Edited:
find a chart for Buffalo Bore Heavy .38+P semi wad cutters
Data on ballistics 101 conflicts with buffalo bore published data. I would have to find the exact right buffalo bore round and get #s for a specific barrel length cuz the ones I saw were only 351 ft lb and that seems too low for such a hot load. I wish they would show barrel length. That published data must be for a snubnose I'm guessing. Barrel length makes such a gigantic difference in velocity. Ballistics 101 shows around 470 fpe. That's a huge difference. My guess is ballistics 101 is showing 6" barrel and buffalo bore is showing like 2" barrel. But just a guess. 350 would be closer to in line with those on the chart vs 470 would be way higher than those shown on the chart.

ED13B832-F2EA-4ABC-8AC8-04F9C5DA8149.png

Last Edited:
Betcha you weren't full of adrenaline, and granny was.
I've evaluated this situation and thought how my family would handle this, since we live on remote property, with 911 at least 20 min away
I can discuss how I'm a light sleeper and have a Shockwave with #4 buck next to the bed
and my wife has her Smith 686 on her night stand on her side of the bed
but in all reality, if someone breaks into my home in the middle of the night, they will first run into a 90 lbs Coon Hound who is very protective of his home and family
my response would be to get the tractor and use the front loader to dump the body on the ant hill in the woods, then go back to bed
the last time my wife called 911 about a Meth head, they asked if she had a firearm, then told her to protect herself and the kids and they would send out a Deputy when one was available

Data on ballistics 101 conflicts with buffalo bore published data. I would have to find the exact right buffalo bore round and get #s for a specific barrel length cuz the ones I saw were only 351 ft lb and that seems too low for such a hot load. I wish they would show barrel length. That published data must be for a snubnose I'm guessing. Barrel length makes such a gigantic difference in velocity. Ballistics 101 shows around 470 fpe. That's a huge difference. My guess is ballistics 101 is showing 6" barrel and buffalo bore is showing like 2" barrel. But just a guess. 350 would be closer to in line with those on the chart vs 470 would be way higher than those shown on the chart.

View attachment 1861748
one must also take into account of the terminal ballistics of a .38 +P SWC over a JHP or FMJ from a semi auto
Buffalo bore rates their .38 +P out of a 4" bbl at 474 ft/lbs
but a buffalo bore 9mm +P out of my 9mm 5" bbl 1911 has the same energy
or one could go with 9mm cor bon
but I doubt the looser who broke into the 85 year old woman's home in Idaho was carrying cor bon in his 9mm

Daaay-um

Energy comparison just for fun

View attachment 1861147
View attachment 1861148
Christine Jenneiahn shot Derek Condon twice after dragging herself to the bedroom of her home in Bingham County, Idaho, to retrieve her firearm while still secured to the chair.

Screen Shot 2024-03-27 at 1.00.36 PM.png

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads