JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not so much a carry thread though I was carrying, but didn't really know where else to put this. Maybe we need a home defense sub.

Stayed up much later than usual last night (birthday and a few B-day drinks) and slept in. The cat woke me up, I assumed to feed him, so I pulled my pants on, holstered the 45 and somewhat groggily headed for the bathroom. Walked past the kitchen door and stopped, WTF??!!!??? Theres somebody asleep on the dog bed in the kitchen!!!!

Tall skinny guy probably in his late 20's, jeans, no shirt/shoes, and ankle high socks. After I realized I wasn't dreaming and I didn't know him, I backed up to the bedroom and grabbed the MB 500 loaded with 00 buck. I had my 45 holstered but thought the shotgun was a better option, all things considered. Now how to proceed, hold him for the cops or get him outta here? Looking around the kitchen, I see a butcher knife on the stove top behind him and another on the counter just a couple feet away. I decided to just get him out of the house 1st. Always keep a rd chambered so I turned the light on on the shotgun and hit him in the face with it...

WAKE UP!! WTF DO YOU THINK YOU"RE DOING YOU STUPID SOB? THERES THE FRONT DOOR. I WANT YOU THE F---- OUT OF HERE RIGHT F"ING NOW OR YOU"RE GOING TO GET SHOT! YOU"RE LUCKY I HAVEN"T FILLED YOU FULL OF BUCK SHOT ALREADY YOU DUMBAZZ MF'er!

He went out the door saying "sorry sorry, I know". I grabbed the phone as I was heading that way to see which direction he traveled. Didn't see him so I yelled at the neighbor across the street, "which way did that guy go"? 'What guy?" He must have cut around the corner of the house and headed across the lawns of the vacant houses. Told 911 its not an emergency at the moment but... Described him and told them that he must be cutting thru yards. An officer called back 5 minutes later and said he got him almost immediately after the call came in over on HW99. It turns out my next door neighbor's greenhouses had been vandalized last night and he'd left that call half an hour or so before I'd called. I'd looked around in the meantime and found a dirty footprint on the kitchen chair next to the window so evidently the window hadn't latched when I closed it. Nothing appears to be missing including pills in prescription bottles just a few feet from where he was.

The officer showed up while I was typing this and let me know he was in jail and that he'd done things like this before. Will be up on unlawful entry, trespassing and vandalism charges. I said if he's that brave to come in the house to sleep while I was there, something nasty is going to happen sooner or later, either to him or the occupant and if he'd even twitched in my direction he'd probably be dead right now and I'd have a big mess to clean up. He agreed. Also said I hope he isn't released 1st thing Monday morning. He agreed with that also.

I think he's been sleeping in the neighbors yard for 3-4 days as my dog has been barking every night in that direction. I've also heard noises outside that I'd attributed to cats or possums after looking around with a flashlight. I couldn't find her last night and went out side to look for her and she was standing by the fence in the corner of the yard. The grass is pretty smashed down on the other side. I think he'd gotten her used to him being there and was petting her. Normally she'll wake out of a dead sleep and go nuts if she smells or hears anything out of the ordinary in the area much less inside the house.

Anyway time to buy some motion detector lights and maybe security cameras. And will do a better perimeter check every night before bed. Things could have went much worse, glad this isn't one of those gun free house holds! :rolleyes:

Last Edited:
Geez. Glad it worked out ok. Did you figure out how he got in? And what you need to do to solve that problem?
Yep, a kitchen window was closed but didn't latch. Will def be checking those more closely. This a pretty long block and no streetlights other than on the corners. I'm right in the middle of it. Will be setting up motion detector lights later today.

I never leave kitchen knives out . I figure the dog might hear it if somebody gets in the drawers. Glad ya didnt have to clean up a mess:D

Should have call 911 while he was passed out, keep your distance, cover him with the 12ga, let him him snooze and wait or the troops.
Thought about it but then Not knowing if he was armed they would probably wouldn't have went in to retrieve him and its hard telling if he would have come out. He woke up right away. I was kind of surprised when he just got up and left.

Good on yah that it worked out! That'd have been a mess!!

& a +1 for not getting too close though, distance is a good thing. Wasn't there though, so simply Monday morning quarter backing.

Have amazon? They have stick on solar motion activated outdoor lights which are pretty decent. Not as bright as wired in, but handy none the less.

Not so much a carry thread though I was carrying, but didn't really know where else to put this. Maybe we need a home defense sub.

Stayed up much later than usual last night (birthday and a few B-day drinks) and slept in. The cat woke me up I assumed to feed him, so I pulled my pants on, holstered the 45 and somewhat groggily headed for the bathroom. Walked past the kitchen door and stopped, WTF??!!!??? Theres somebody asleep on the dog bed in the kitchen!!!!

Tall skinny guy probably in his late 20's, jeans, no shirt/shoes, and ankle high socks. After I realized I wasn't dreaming and I didn't know him, I backed up to the bedroom and grabbed the MB 500 loaded with 00 buck. I had my 45 holstered but thought the shotgun was a better option all things considered. Now how to proceed, hold him for the cops or get him outta here? Looking around the kitchen, I see a butcher knife on the stovetop behind him and another on the counter just a couple feet away. I decided to just get him out of the house 1st. Always keep a rd chambered so I turned the light on on the shotgun and hit him in the face with it...

WAKE UP!! WTF DO YOU THINK YOU"RE DOING YOU STUPID SOB? THERES THE FRONT DOOR. I WANT YOU THE F---- OUT OF HERE RIGHT F"ING NOW OR YOU"RE GOING TO GET SHOT! YOU"RE LUCKY I HAVEN"T FILLED YOU FULL OF BUCK SHOT ALREADY YOU DUMBAZZ MF'er!

He went out the door saying "sorry sorry, I know". I grabbed the phone as I was heading that way to see which direction he traveled. Didn't see him so I yelled at the neighbor across the street, "which way did that guy go"? 'What guy?" He must have cut around the corner of the house and headed across the lawns of the vacant houses. Told 911 its not an emergency at the moment but... Described him and told them that he must be cutting thru yards. An officer called back 5 minutes later and said he got him almost immediately after the call came in over on HW99. It turns out my next door neighbor's greenhouses had been vandalized last night and he'd left that call half an hour or so before I'd called. I'd looked around in the meantime and found a dirty footprint on the kitchen chair next to the window so evidently the window hadn't latched when I closed it. Nothing appears to be missing including pills in prescription bottles just a few feet from where he was.

The officer showed up while I was typing this and let me know he was in jail and that he'd done things like this before. Will be up on unlawful entry, trespassing and vandalism charges. I said if he's that brave to come in the house to sleep while I was there, something nasty is going to happen sooner or later, either to him or the occupant and if he'd even twitched in my direction he'd probably be dead right now and I'd have a big mess to clean up. He agreed. Also said I hope he isn't released 1st thing Monday morning. He agreed with that also.

I think he's been sleeping in the neighbors yard for 3-4 days as my dog has been barking every night in that direction. I've also heard noises outside that I'd attributed to cats or possums after looking around with a flashlight. I couldn't find her last night and went out side to look for her and she was standing by the fence in the corner of the yard. The grass was pretty smashed down on the other side. I think he'd gotten her used to him being there and was petting her. Normally she'll wake out of a dead sleep and go nuts if she smells or hears anything out of the ordinary in the area much less inside the house.

Anyway time to buy some motion detector lights and maybe security cameras. And will do a better perimeter check every night before bed. Things could have went much worse, glad this isn't one of those gun free house holds! :rolleyes:

How did he get in the house?

Housebreakers........ :mad: :s0012:

Anyone still think pig-stickers on shotguns are silly? o_O

1D14EB4C-30F9-43E4-A260-1B0CA3D607D7.jpeg

Housebreakers........ :mad: :s0012:

Anyone still think pig-stickers on shotguns are silly? o_O

View attachment 492831
Definitely would have stuck him at the very least! Funny thing is after I bought the 500 I kept thinking why did I buy this, I've got plenty of pistols and I don't even like shotguns! If he was able to see it, (500-600 lumen light in his face) I'm sure it was more intimidating than having a pistol pointed at him. Rd was already chambered so I didn't get to rack the slide. :(
:D

Last Edited:
Not a fun thing to read. Pisses me off just reading it and thinking about the violation of your private space @Norwestr55

I am happy that nothing bad happened, pissed it happened, but happy nothing horrible had to happen.

These homeless are pathetic.

I sure would have had a harder time refraining from doing something to make him understand that what he did has consequences.

Sadly these days roughing someone up is frowned upon.

If he had the living bubblegum beat out of him, I'd doubt he would try doing this ever again, the fact he so willingly came into your home demonstrates he has no concern about doing so.

That sucks. It'll probably take awhile to feel comfortable and relaxed in your own home again.

In a totally unrelated story, I have a Sherriffs deputy buddy that was telling me about a time when a homeowner caught a car prowler in the act and tuned him up real good. He said he had to ask the homeowner "so you felt threatened right? Right?"

Jacob Wayne Heinz
Criminal trespass 2nd degree
Criminal mischief 3rd degree
Criminal Trespass 1st degree

Also arrested for 2 counts of disorderly conduct in April and Criminal
trespass 2nd degree in May.

Last Edited:

Stayed up much later than usual last night (birthday and a few B-day drinks) and slept in. The cat woke me up I assumed to feed him, so I pulled my pants on, holstered the 45 and somewhat groggily headed for the bathroom. Walked past the kitchen door and stopped, WTF??!!!??? Theres somebody asleep on the dog bed in the kitchen!!!!

Tall skinny guy probably in his late 20's, jeans, no shirt/shoes, and ankle high socks. After I realized I wasn't dreaming and I didn't know him, I backed up to the bedroom and grabbed the MB 500 loaded with 00 buck. I had my 45 holstered but thought the shotgun was a better option all things considered. Now how to proceed, hold him for the cops or get him outta here? Looking around the kitchen, I see a butcher knife on the stovetop behind him and another on the counter just a couple feet away. I decided to just get him out of the house 1st. Always keep a rd chambered so I turned the light on on the shotgun and hit him in the face with it...

I think he's been sleeping in the neighbors yard for 3-4 days as my dog has been barking every night in that direction. I've also heard noises outside that I'd attributed to cats or possums after looking around with a flashlight. I couldn't find her last night and went out side to look for her and she was standing by the fence in the corner of the yard. The grass was pretty smashed down on the other side. I think he'd gotten her used to him being there and was petting her. Normally she'll wake out of a dead sleep and go nuts if she smells or hears anything out of the ordinary in the area much less inside the house.

Very well done.

You armed yourself automatically in resonse to being roused out of bed by a disturbance, even though you thought it was just something harmless, a hungry cat. (I learned that by failing to do it once, though fortunately I had time to arm, but just barely.)(An incident I described in the current thread Things that go bump in the night.)

I also agree with your dealing with the situation first and calling 911 later. Talking on a phone is just a distraction from the emergency as well as gives away your position and element of surprise. In addition, emergency operators ask lots of questions, and my understanding is their primary goal is to keep you on the phone, which uses up one hand and your attention. These days they might also do outrageously counterproductive things, like order you to put away the gun when you actually have an invader in your home. Also, once you call LE to some extent you have transferred authority from yourself to them. And you then have the complication that when LE arrives they may shoot anyone who is armed, in or outside the house, and that could be you. My idea of when to call cops is either well before the danger is imminent, if there is opportunity. Or after danger is over and you can safely disarm yourself before LE arrives.

I think trying to get intruder to leave rather than hold him for police was the right call too. It's way easier to get someone to leave than to submit to capture. And there was every reason to figure the intruder might be crazy, drunk, on drugs or some combination. If you had tried to hold intruder instead of chase him off, it would have increased the odds if your having to shoot him. Far better if that must be done, that it's done by LE.

Sounds like this guy had been hanging around the neighborhood for a while. He might be back, since it's clearly familiar turf to him. Obvious you are taking additional appropriate measures.

I say again, well done.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads