JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have shot inside w/o hearing protection a 9mm, 44 mag, 45 acp and 12ga they are all freaking loud.
Personally, I'll take a shotgun any day of the week over a handgun for HD. Bottom line, handguns suck at stopping people while shotguns excel at it, shotguns suck at fitting on the belt while handguns excel at it.

Coming from someone that has hearing loss,( me and ringing Tinnitus) I don't disagree its a better choice, a louder , much louder better choice was my point. But that ringing doesn't stop its with you 24/7 so why yep its a good choice to hit a target at 3am, its also the best way to end up with what I have. Not fun, you kinda get used to it kinda.

I'm shooting an 11.5" AR.... listen to how loud it is (even outdoors) and everyone stopping and getting out of the way.... LOL

Best part of that is watching @Reno911 get beaned in the fore head with brass! :eek:
:s0114:

I mentioned in my last post that he didn't show up for his court date Sept 14 as he was in jail in Marion county for 3 more counts of criminal trespass II and 2 more counts of criminal mischief II and one more class A misdemeanor. Just happened to check the Polk County inmate roster and he was arrested AGAIN on 11/1 for a couple more counts of criminal trespass. He's still in jail on this one so maybe they're finally starting to catch on. Ya think? :rolleyes:

With all the things falling apart, and crap hole places needing cleaning, we really should put ALL prisoners to work. If you're on the street and sleeping under bridges long enough I'm thinking a nice warm cell with a toilet to sit on, and dedicated toilet paper to wipe with sound pretty dang good. Why should guys like this quit doing this crap?

#1 yeah a shotgun in the face would be very intimidating but I don't think either the perp or the gunman realize just how incredibly overkill 00 buck can be to a human being until they actually see a pic of someone that's been shot with one. #2 (my own opinion) but I would of woke the guy with a firm voice and kept my pistol holstered with one in the pipe, I personally don't think it's necessary for a shotty in the face and a bunch of tough guy talk, from the sound of the story it's pretty evident the idiot was drunk the night before and found himself in someone's dog bed..... kinda like the guy that was taking a shower in the guys house last summer and the owner left/came back and shot and killed the guy! C-mon, do you really think that was a justified killing- naahhhh, I think not.... #3 and lastly- the guy in the dog bed will be a welcome sight in the very near future , with all the illegals and refugees heading for the border America is going to have her hands full ! When these 3rd world individuals don't get a slice of the promised American pie their culture and instinct will kick in overdrive, and with gun laws going the direction they are going it's evident that there is a very sinister agenda being played out as we speak! All in all I'm glad everything worked out for you and everyone is safe. BTW- did the officer want to check out your firearms and all the other stuff they like to do to see if you're legal? Curious

agree, your lawyer is going to have a hard time convincing the jury that it was a necessary escalation and self preservation measure when the prosecution shows images of the body with literally no head, which us 100% what a shot from less than 1 ft. away with 000 buck will do. It will make you look like a psychopath.

Better to whack them harder than you absolutely need than not hard enough. If I have to shoot I would prefer to leave a pile of shark chum on the floor to be removed with a shovel. When the time has come to employ lethal force (i.e. contending with an existential threat) there ain't no such thing as overkill. If it's not OK to blast the Orc with a 3" #000 Magnum elk load it's not OK to shoot him with anything. If I have to shoot somebody it's not because they have urinated me off - it's because they are a threat to my life, and the stopping power of a 12 ga is undisputed.
I humbly suggest that the home armory contain a selection of implements allowing one to choose to match the situation: several handguns, an autoloading carbine or 2, and at least one pump or auto shotgun.
Black Aces "Firearm" class auto shottie seems to me to be the ultimate fusil de boudoir.
View attachment 514825
Overkill? Hardly.

Do you have kids? A wife? A pet? Neighbors close by? Overkill in a house is a very dangerous mentality and approach.

1) Kids - no. Wife - yes. Pets - yes. Close neighbors not really. Emptying a .308 outside would not be advised.
2) Like I said, shooting is only for dealing with an existential threat no matter what kind of gun is involved, so overkill isn't an issue as long as I survive. I wouldn't shoot unless I were sure that failing to do so would result in death or GBH to me or someone I love (literally) enough to kill for. Whether or not I look like a psycho is not as important as stopping the threat.
3) I probably wouldn't go for a head shot with a shottie, if for no other reason that it's not necessary with a 12 ga payload. A pistol is a not terribly likely to stop an assailant with a torso hit, which is why a head shot might be required. 8-12 #00 or #000 packs a lot more crunch than any defensive pistol, and 5-9 shots is a LOT of crunch.
4) There really isn't any way to shoot somebody that doesn't look gory. The DA's job is to supply the fodder for the legal industry.

BTW- let me ask you a question, what would you have done if you had come home to find someone in your shower stall ? Be careful answering, the guy that had to make that decision last year is sitting in a jail cell right now......

Situations like That are what a d60 mag loaded with vmax and binary trigger are for. Dump the mag and leave the shower on to flush the mess down the drain.

<complete sarcasm!>

Boy we sure have some sensitive little fellers in here don't we ;) I'm amazed at the clever choice of words used so as not to cross the threshold (no pun intended).... bottom line is your post is the most sensible, and when the state starts checking mental health records I'm sure you and I will be safe LOL

LOL,

Great examples of why I keep these next to the nightstand.

A21AB87B-980A-459E-B3DE-CFF651329EDC.jpeg

Electronic hearing protection next to the gun.

"Personally, I'll take a shotgun any day of the week over a handgun for HD. Bottom line, handguns suck at stopping people while shotguns excel at it, shotguns suck at fitting on the belt while handguns excel at it."
Yeah, me too. The best of both worlds is a shottie (or carbine) with sidearm for backup. For more backup it's mama with a carbine and my wife has the right mindset.

Great examples of why I keep these next to the nightstand.

View attachment 517071

Wow hopefully you don't turn your headlamp on and make yourself a target when you confront an intruder. I have weapons light mounted on my shotgun and rifle and leave the light off. I only use the light to identify a target first before firing a shot.

I do keep a pair of amplified gun mufflers on my night stand as well.

I'm guessing the few pacifist's here have never been affected by criminals so have a high regard for them. Wait until you've been the subject of an armed robber, had your home and vehicle burglarized and then tell me how the poor, defenseless bubblegum-bag is no threat...

Have a low regard for self defense? Oh wait, he was 'just sleeping' so he wasn't a threat, right?

Wrong.

No offense, but all this talk of the "best home defense weapon and accessories" strikes me as a bit silly because it's very subjective and based on what we imagine might happen. Shotgun. Ar15. Handgun. Whatever you prefer. It doesn't matter as much as you might think because (and this is just my stupid fat-assed civilian opinion) at the first shot, a typical burglar probably isn't going to stop and think, "Ha! That's just a Glock! Wimp!" Nah. He's gonna hightail it outta there and leave a Wile E Coyote shape hole in your wall.

But please, by all means, if that's what you're into, keep planning for the next John Wick Style home invasion. Me? I'm keeping my big dogs by my bed and a .45 within reach, and I'll sleep the deep, deep sleep of the untroubled, and dream of Salma Hayek… because dreams are free and don't violate the court order.

Sorry, I'm having a crappy day and just needed to vent a bit.

Last Edited:
Some think 'home invasion' could never happen to them. Pish Posh, we who think otherwise are a buncha paranoids...sheesh. We pacifists know the score.

Well, it did happen to a neighbor living about a half mile from me and we're both out in the country. Who'd a thunk it...? Only happens in blighted, urban surroundings. Right?

Carry or don't and guess right 100% of the time, even at home...

I'm really happy for all the peace, love, dove types who blissfully think the odds of violent criminality are so minute they're totally unlikely to ever be affected by violent crime. Yeah, sure, you're immune because you are a gentle, peaceful soul...

Sorry, but the world of violent criminals doesn't care if you're a good person. They can rob, kill you and then eat a sandwich with your dead body on the floor.

Wake up pacifists!

You're not immune...

Some think 'home invasion' could never happen to them. Pish Posh, we who think otherwise are a buncha paranoids...sheesh. We pacifists know the score.

Well, it did happen to a neighbor living about a half mile from me and we're both out in the country. Who'd a thunk it...? Only happens in blighted, urban surroundings. Right?

Carry or don't and guess right 100% of the time, even at home...

I'm really happy for all the peace, love, dove types who blissfully think the odds of violent criminality are so minute they're totally unlikely to ever be affected by violent crime. Yeah, sure, you're immune because you are a gentle, peaceful soul...

Sorry, but the world of violent criminals doesn't care if you're a good person. They can rob, kill you and then eat a sandwich with your dead body on the floor.

Wake up pacifists!

You're not immune...

I think everyone here on this GUN forum agrees with you. So… who are you talking to?

There is a hole lotta discussion goin on here....

Lots of bubble gum haha

I see one and really only one main point we all should learn from this thread.

YOU BETTER BE SETUP SO YOU WILL KNOW WHEN SOME BUBBLE GUM ARSEHOLE BREAKS IN TO YOUR HOUSE.

If you don't, your DEAD before you wake up..... to grab your gun or do anything.

The fact this "intruder" chose to break in and then go to sleep, well what if he chose to break in, walk into your bedroom and kill you, then your wife and then your kids? ad your own nightmare scenario such as kidnap your kid etc.

Game over because he got in undetected.

What ever you have to do in order to "detect" someone breaking in, you really arta think about doing it ASAP.

Dogs, good
Alarm system, good.
Dogs + alarm system better....... etc

~

Just venting....

Seeing the pacifists posts attitude riles me...their see no evil, hear no evil, etc. really p.o.'s me off...reality being something that scares them into inaction...and so should you be....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top