JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Watch the Tales of the Gun episode on shotgun. They do a great job on explaining how the shotgun is the most veratile gun. It's the best choice for a person who cannot afford to have a variety. If I could only have one gun, it would be my 12 guage 870. Reliable, simple, and doesn't break the bank to purchase, maintain, and keep loaded with ammo.

Take into account; ANY weapon you choose, rifle, pistol, knife etc...etc....SHOULD be. 1: easy to use/operate 2: reliable under adverse conditions. 3: easy to maintain( LOW maintenance) 4: parts ready available in YOUR area. Last: plentiful ammo supply.
If it's a heavy weapon to lug around, you will not want to carry it. If it's finicky on ammo, you will want to leave it behind AND have unsure thoughts of it operating in. SHTF "moment". If it's an EXPENSIVE weapon, you won't want to bang it around to much,scratch it, weapons maintenance more often then needed, greater loss (even to the pocket book) when lost or damaged.
You want weapons that will "work", nothing more,nothing less...you want to spend the minimum amount of money to have a weaponS that are built for combat conditions,in your case. A tight tolerance "speed" gun might be great for shooting matches, but also require attention to detail,parts repair could be expensive, wasn't initially designed for other purposes, require more expensive less finicky ammo..Etc...just food for thought.
I have read some GREAT responses and personal opinions on why or why not certain "thing's" would work, or to just think about...
I believe a 10/22 is a great choice and is a VERY flexible platform of a weapon to have around. That is my next purchase for sure. It's cheapER to shoot, gets you behind the gun to practice skills and advance your shooting level. Also can be used to kill game. Proper shot, can take down a home invader if need be...
I believe that a person, if they have the fund's, should have ATLEAST 3 weapons on hand. 1) a long gun 2) a pistol 3) a shotgun...BUT I wouldn't include the 10/22 in there. That would be number 4. With these 3, you can round out MOSTLY anything that a firearm would cover. Defense, hunting etc...
Just my 2pence..
FTW..if S really did hit the fan. I would be protecting myself with headshots whenever possible. I wouldn't waste the ammunition on unnecessary follow-up shot's on my way out of the immediate danger zone...but, that would be my LAST resort, to hurt anyone, first be getting the hell out of there as fast as I could...

Yeah, my vote..pistol for second. You can carry that around and would get the most use,I believe,in a SHTF situation. It can be kept on your persons without drawing as much attention. The caliber would be a minimum of 9mm. If you feel like you need bigger,latter it could be sold or traded up with less likely losing much money,if any,bought used. With a 40cal. You could also get a 9mm barrel drop in for some models,such as GLOCK. carry 2 different rounds OR "just in case" 9mm or 40cal is the ONLY caliber available after your primary caliber runs dry. Also, I would have 3 magazine minimum. I prefer 5. Reason, I like to rotate my magazines when shooting. Keeps them "more" service ready when I REALLY need them. IF I had a Glock, I would have 3 "regular" capacity and the other 2 would be the higher, 33round sticks. Reloading or mag change over are very very dangers, the less you do,the more you can stay in a fight. Something else to consider too,when carrying "stick mag's", if you get a jam INSIDE the magazine. The rounds you have in there,that are left over,are useless until you can take of it latter. I prefer to carry as a minimum but MAXIMUM capacity magazine in ANY weapon that will "get the job done". Not sure if anyone tracked me on this..
Good luck

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads