JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all, I'm looking to purchase my second firearm that would best assist me in a SHTF scenario. I live in Salem Oregon and I'd figure I'd probably head to my old area in Otis near lincoln city and take refuge in the wooded areas and live off the land (and water, fish yummy!) I have a ruger 10/22, love it. People can say what they want, in the right hands very deadly plus you can easily carry a few thousand rounds in a backpack with other supplies. I know with the right shot you can take down large game, but I figure I'd go for small anyways.

So would it be better to have two rifles or a rifle and a pistol? My brother just got his ar-15 and I like it, plus I used the m16 and m4 while in the military. I've been seriously looking at one of those or the springfield xdm in 40 or 45. I love my dads, shot my bros glock 22, liked it but liked the xdm more. I'd get one now and then save for the other, but it'll take me like a year or so to be able to save.

Do I want to haul two rifles if I'm going through the woods or any rough terrain? I'd probably want my hands free and sling the weapons, at which point if needed in a flash a pistol would be alot fast at the ready then a rifle. I also see people say pistols are useless and weak, I dont believe that to be true.

So if I can't get a third weapon in a year cause the world collapsed, what would be your choice to accompany a 10/22 (with 3x9 scope), a pistol or ar15?

Thanks,
Dan

Dan, First, Welcome to the forum.

I like to keep with common amunition so my SHTF guns are 9MM, .308, and 5.56X45 (.223). My choices, because I'm cheap, were a Ruger Ranch Rifle, Savage FCP HS w/Nikon optics, and Taurus 24/7 PRO. I just recently bought a Henry AR-7 but since you have the Ruger 10/22; you're covered.

I'd go with an XDM in 9mm- ammo is cheap and plentiful, and affordable enough you can practice enough to be proficient. .40 and .45 are both awesome, but more expensive to shoot. I'd make an AR platform gun #3- as it's the most expensive to buy and shoot, and wouldn't be the best for hunting game, just people. I have a similar plan to yours, so I'll stay away from Otis...but if you see me out there please don't kill me!

I would recommend a pistol in 9mm. Kind of hard to conceal two rifles if the need arises. Ammo would hopefully be more available than other calibers, and you can afford more now to stockpile and use for practice. You can also carry more 9mm than a comparable weight of a different caliber cartridge.

I would personally get a shotgun first, and then a pistol.

Shotguns are cheap . . . decent quality handguns, not so much.
A shotgun is good for medium to short range against multiple targets.
Shotguns take less practice to shoot well . . . pistols, much more practice.
Plus, shotgun ammo would probably be easier to find than pistol ammo if SHTF.

Hi Dan,
Welcome. The 10/22 is a good start. Above advice on common calibers is also good. In a world that is not WROL you will need minimum caliber for hunting in various states.

Where it is possible to use 5.56 x 45, and since you have military experience with a M16/M4 an AR would be high on the list. otherwise Mossberg makes a MVP bolt in 5.56 that takes AR mags, and is a real winner!
A HG in 44 Magnum for current legal hunting might be a good choice. realistically if you can engage with a carbine you will, the HG is for up close, last chance, if so gun control and a .44 SPEC/MAG is very effective.
One item overlooked by many is the Keltec PLR 16 the Pistol Long Range that shoots 5.56 & uses AR mags. It also runs a bit like an AK. I had a top shelf Carbon Bushmaster AR 15 pistol, and a Keltec PLR 16 at the same time a few years back... and would take the Keltec hands down anytime. NO buffer protrusion, takes AR mags, reliability of AK action, USA built, pre-threaded barrel, open sights as accurate to 100 yds for hunting as most rifles, Pic rail built in, easy to strip.. Hard to beat!

Just a thought FWF
A1

I vote for a 12ga, nothing is more versatile. You can get a scabbard for them that mounts to a ruck sack.

I think of pistols as self-defense weapons. If you run into someone with a centerfire rifle they'll steal your fish.

i would make a second handgun my backup weapon of choice just incase i dropped my primary or had a broken part,then a rifle or shotgun.
in a shtf situation carrying a rifle may make you a target,thats not to say i would not have one also but in some situations you would want to leave it hidden and go out with only a concealed handgun or two in my case.

My two firearms would be an AR15 (16" light weight barrel) with a .22 conversion kit for long range engagements, deer, small game and practice and a Glock 19 for carry.

Welcome and Thank you for your service.

An AR and .22 conversion. :s0155: Maybe a wheel gun in .357. Strong and dependable. The power of a .357 and you can haul .38 (.38 +P?) for the "lighter stuff" too.

My wife and I have chosen two setups. Hers will be Ruger SR22, AR in22lr, Benelli Tactical 12 ga. Mine will be 1911, AR15 Carbine in 223, Mossberg 930 Tactical 12 ga. Should take care of just about any need. Plus all the other BOB essentials.

I personally started with a 12ga shotgun, then bought a .22 rifle then a .40 S&W handgun and now have my sights on a "reach out and touch someone" rifle.

Alot of peopple will say go with a shotgun due to the fact there are so many types of ammo for them...birdshot in various sizes to buckshot in various sizes and slugs, can cover alot of bases..but then yohave to carry all that ammo if you bug out...have to carry it anyway.

Pistols are good as you can hide it if needed (and have a permit) and good for close up protection.

I priced the XDM at Buds online it costs between $650.00 and $750.00

Discount Guns for Sale - Buds Gun Shop

You can get keltec P11 9mm for about $240.00 and a mossberg 500 12 gauge for $300.00 to $450.00

I have both (the keltec and mossberg) and love them, yes I love the AR15 and other guns, but I buy stuff in stages, some of this and some of that, getting the most for what I have to spend, and getting a little bit of this and little bit of that

I'll tell you (some) of what we chose. Our plans are a little bit different.

#1- we got a 12 ga shotgun
#2- we got a springfield XD 9mm
#3- we got a Marlin .22 rifle
#4- we got a DPMS AR-15 .223

I'll stop the list there and explain why I chose those in that order.

Shotgun first because we live rurally and bugging out with small children is an absolute last resort. So if the main plan is bugging in- then a Shotgun is a great choice and storing a lot of heavy, large ammo is not such a problem when you're staying at home.

9mm pistol second because I want to be ready for a multitude of possible situations and there very well could be a period of time where people still have to go to work, going to the store etc. but it's just REALLY dangerous compared to normal times....a pistol would be ideal in this situation as it is lightweight and low profile.

.22 Rifle third because of the versatility and cheap, lightweight ammo. ideal for target practice, small game hunting and could work in a pinch for self defense or laying down cover fire...

AR-15 fourth because it is the most expensive and the least likely to really get used. As another poster mentioned it is more of a "people hunting" gun and while it certainly has it's place in SHTF planning I think that there are considerations that are more important. Unless you are part of a group or tactical unit I think it is very limited what 1 or 2 average people can accomplish with a "people hunting" gun and you are just better off hiding, running or surrendering if you come across hostiles (especially if you have kids in tow...) I think that an AK-47 makes sense in this class of weapon too. I think they are both fine for the goals of "normal people" just trying to survive.

In your situation I'd say the .22 rifle is a great choice, and then I'd say a pistol- ideally in a common caliber. I like the Springfield XD 9mm because it's affordable, ammo is abundant and relatively cheap and easier to carry than bigger calibers.

I don't know abour your plan to relocate to the lincoln city area. That's up to you. If you're going to take the huge risk of leaving your home and bugging out, then the risk should have a substantial reward and it would be nice to end up somewhere less populated with more wild game and more survival potential. You won't be the only person with the idea to hunt and fish and live off the land. If you think hunting is hard now while the animal populations are strictly managed and most people are lazy and distracted and well fed- imagine how it will be with no rules, no tags, no limits and lots of desperate hungry people. Americans damn near decimmated the buffalo and did decimmate the do-do birds and that was just for sport way back when population was sparse, game was plentiful and rifles were simple and crude compared with rifles of today.

If I was in your situation and planning to survive the way you are and really wanted a fighting chance........

"A pistol is good for one thing........getting to your rifle."

10/22 with folding stock, short barrel, and suppressor. Slung across your back while you carry your real rifle, or stuffed in your pack. Whatever.

A Real Rifle. Carried at the ready until you come across game and then have your silenced 10/22 available. Or at least have your real rifle slung somewhere for easy access while you pack your 22 in case you don't think you can get it out in time to get that shot off at a frightened animal.

A Sidearm.

And I would especially avoid the coastal areas. Get as far inland as you can.

Good luck and welcome to the nut-house!!:s0155:

I think the quote from Bud's was for the XDm 9mm in either stainless steel, with the night sights, or a combo of both.

I just went to Bud's and found the all-black XDm 9mm, 4.5", no night sights for $583.00 (product code XDM9201HCSP).

Peter

I think it'd be difficult to haul around two long-guns if your plan is to head out into the woods, live off the land, etc. I'd suggest a sidearm of some sort to compliment your long-gun. You could either go with a plastic-pistol (Glock, XD, M&P, etc.) in 9mm or .40S&W, or go with a .357 Magnum revolver (S&W 686, Ruger GP100, etc.) of some type.

Personally, if I was in your shoes, I'd choose a Glock 19 or S&W 686 4".

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top