JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
To me it sounds like you dont even have your story straight - a dog bite gave some one mersa?

James Ruby

Actually, it's MRSA or methcillin resistant staphlococcus aureus. It's a very drug resistant common variant of a normal bacteria that everyone probably has. There is community acquired CA-MRSA that can be treated fairly well with some run of the mill antibiotics and there is the healthcare facility MRSA that can be a big time concern.

Dogs have dirty mouths. Every mouth of every animal is relatively dirty from a bacterial perspective. At any rate add in whatever is in the dog slobber plus whatever bacteria are on the skin of the victim and then puncture the skin and push those bacteria into what amounts to the best petri dish ever and "ta da" you get a nasty infection.

Some are blamming the medical personell for the infection stuff but sometimes it's nobody's fault. Sometimes it's just bad luck.

Obama wants to get rid of guns because a small number of people abuse them. You want the same thing with police. You are either a hypocrit or you have the same ideology as him.

If you show us a video where there is a cop that crosses the line and abuses a civilian and in turn is restrained by other cops then your argument might have validity.
Better yet, an instance where a cop assaults someone and is then arrested by his fellow officers.
It does not happen.

If you show us a video where there is a cop that crosses the line and abuses a civilian and in turn is restrained by other cops then your argument might have validity.
Better yet, an instance where a cop assaults someone and is then arrested by his fellow officers.
It does not happen.
If you play back some videos in reverse, you'll see them help the person get off the ground and send them on their way.;)

Actually, it's MRSA or methcillin resistant staphlococcus aureus. It's a very drug resistant common variant of a normal bacteria that everyone probably has. There is community acquired CA-MRSA that can be treated fairly well with some run of the mill antibiotics and there is the healthcare facility MRSA that can be a big time concern.

Dogs have dirty mouths. Every mouth of every animal is relatively dirty from a bacterial perspective. At any rate add in whatever is in the dog slobber plus whatever bacteria are on the skin of the victim and then puncture the skin and push those bacteria into what amounts to the best petri dish ever and "ta da" you get a nasty infection.

Some are blamming the medical personell for the infection stuff but sometimes it's nobody's fault. Sometimes it's just bad luck.

You dont have to get bit by a dog to get "MERSA" - scratch yourself against something and you could possibly get it. To blame the loss of a "limb" from simply a dog byte is not being completely accurate - it sounds like there were extenuating circumstances to me, not just the actual dog byte by itself.

My wifes cousin died a couple years ago - last February from MERSA and I can guarantee you no dog was involved.

James Ruby

You dont have to get bit by a dog to get "MERSA" - scratch yourself against something and you could possibly get it. To blame the loss of a "limb" from simply a dog byte is not being completely accurate - it sounds like there were extenuating circumstances to me, not just the actual dog byte by itself.

My wifes cousin died a couple years ago - last February from MERSA and I can guarantee you no dog was involved.

James Ruby

Yes I understand you can get MRSA from different sources. I deal with MRSA on a semi-regular basis and not one of my patients was bitten by a dog. I was just trying to give an example of how a person could get an infection from a wound such as a dog bite and end up losing a limb.

Horsecrap - they had non-lethal methods to subdue the dog. USPS letter cariers get attacked by dogs frequently, you never hear about one shooting a dog dead. They pepper spray the dog and the attack is over - period. A tazer, a night stick or a flash light would work just as well without killing the dog.

USPS letter carriers dont shoot dogs because they cant carry guns.

I am a 26 yr UPS driver who has dealt with thousands of dogs over the course of my career. I used to carry pepper spray years ago. I actually used it twice. It didnt work. On the first occasion i was able to fend the dog (Rottweiler) off with a rake that happened to be laying nearby, and on the second occasion I wound up shoving the customers package into the dogs mouth and kicking the schitt out of it (German Shepherd) until the owner came out screaming about the fact that her damn package was getting damaged. As far as I am concerned, pepper spray is worthless and if the dog is big enough to do serious damage to me and is acting obviously aggressive, shooting it is justified.

This pair of "vicious" pitbulls jump into my UPS truck every time I deliver to this particular stop.

They are basically toungues with 90 lb pitbulls attached to them and by the time I am done delivering the package I am literally coated with paw prints and doggy slobber and the half-dozen dog biscuits that I keep in my shirt pocket have been devoured.

If these dogs were aggressive, pepper spray would be useless. Fortunately for me, they both love to have their bellies rubbed and if I scratch the right spot on their necks, they start kicking their hind legs uncontrollably until they collapse onto the ground where I reduce both of them into quivering, drooling, helpless piles of jelly by giving them "noogies" with my fingertips. Biscuits and noogies beat pepper spray every time.

pit bulls.jpg

You have understandable issues with the depth and breadth of LEO's reach, and that may need modified. But remove the police from society and it lasts for about 4 minutes after that. The masses of folks are unable or unwilling to police themselves. So it would be Mad Max in real life.

Just wait for the economic collapse and this will happen. Besides, the gene pool needs a chlorine bath!

This pair of "vicious" pitbulls jump into my UPS truck every time I deliver to this particular stop.

They are basically toungues with 90 lb pitbulls attached to them and by the time I am done delivering the package I am literally coated with paw prints and doggy slobber and the half-dozen dog biscuits that I keep in my shirt pocket have been devoured.

If these dogs were aggressive, pepper spray would be useless. Fortunately for me, they both love to have their bellies rubbed and if I scratch the right spot on their necks, they start kicking their hind legs uncontrollably until they collapse onto the ground where I reduce both of them into quivering, drooling, helpless piles of jelly by giving them "noogies" with my fingertips. Biscuits and noogies beat pepper spray every time.

bet you run behind on your deliveries for a while spending that time with them. :s0155: :s0155: for taking the time.

At an old office I had we had a big fat tabby cat who hated everyone including me. I used to leave the door cracked open just in case it wanted to run away. The only person that cat loved was our UPS driver. She'd bully her way past us to get to him. Oddest thing.

Yes I understand you can get MRSA from different sources. I deal with MRSA on a semi-regular basis and not one of my patients was bitten by a dog. I was just trying to give an example of how a person could get an infection from a wound such as a dog bite and end up losing a limb.

I have to agree with this. While I agree that the chances of getting MRSA from a dog bite are slim (more likely with a dog raised on a dairy farm, but still) there isn't much sense in taking a chance. MRSA is GENERALLY a nosocomial infection - but it is spreading into the general population, which is one of the things that make it REALLY scary.

To me it sounds like you dont even have your story straight - a dog bite gave some one mersa?

James Ruby

Come on James.
Read my last post again.
I didn't say he got MERSA from a dog bite. I used it as an example of a known infection that is difficult to treat.
Sheesh.
Stop trying to defend your comment that someone is sickened by an infection be cause they are stupid. Just admit it was an poor comment and move on.
People are infected with bacterial infections whether they belong to mensa or not.

You know what, I could argue - it just aint worth it to me. The story you told had so many missing pieces that I doubt you really know what happened and I am one step removed so I know even less. I will stick with my postion however that is 1) either the individual or 2) the medical staff, made a mistake - and there is more to this story. Unless the dog byte mutilated the "limb" I dont see how the dog caused the loss of the limb. Just my opinion.

James Ruby

Can you get MERSA from a gun?

If you mean MRSA, methicillin resistant Staph aureus, probably not if it is a modern firearm. The heat generated by shooting would, generally, prevent it. (Of course, if you scratch yourself on the front sight or something, well, then, maybe...now, if you have MRSA all over your clothing, and a bit of clothing gets carried into the wound channel, all bets are off.

MRSA is actually hard to catch outside of hospitals. Not impossible, but it is hard. It just isn't in the general population in sufficient numbers to warrant undue alarm. The human body is pretty well designed to keeping us alive.

It's like people worrying about E. coli, when all of us have E. coli in our bowels already. Not O157H7, but regular old E coli is necessary for us to live...

Anyway, this is making me remember way too much about being a Medical Technologist than I want to this afternoon....

You know what, I could argue - it just aint worth it to me. The story you told had so many missing pieces that I doubt you really know what happened and I am one removed so I know even less. I will stick with my postion however that is 1) either the individual or 2) the medical staff, made a mistake - and there is more to this story. Unless the dog byte mutilated the "limb" I dont see how the dog caused the loss of the limb. Just my opinion.
James Ruby

what are you going to argue next? That you can get the clap off a doorknob?
Are you really going to stick with your original comment that the intellect of the person is why they were infected? And not because a dog's mouth is chock full of bacteria?
I'm not telling a "story". A guy was bit by a dog, and got real sick from a resulting infection. I'd bet a dollar to a donut you could Google dog bite infection and find a few days worth of factual reading.
It takes something for a person to admit when they said something wrong.

what are you going to argue next? That you can get the clap off a doorknob?
Are you really going to stick with your original comment that the intellect of the person is why they were infected? And not because a dog's mouth is chock full of bacteria?
I'm not telling a "story". A guy was bit by a dog, and got real sick from a resulting infection. I'd bet a dollar to a donut you could Google dog bite infection and find a few days worth of factual reading.
It takes something for a person to admit when they said something wrong.

I agree with you it does take a big person to admit when they are wrong - however I will stick with my statement until you cand provide some more detail as to what actually happened. Yes you can lose a limb or even die from infection if
1) You dont seek medical treatment
2) you dont seek medical treatement fast enough
3) You are not provided the right medical treatment
4) You catch some really rare disease
5) You have an extenuating medical problem
In only two of (4 and 5 )those cases is somone not at fault. And frankly those are extremely rare situations.
There are exceptions to every rule. However when this excepton happens where the infection cant be treated it becomes big news. Those cases make winning the lottery look easy. They make headlines - so we should be able to find this officers name based on the time and department.

James Ruby

By the way a dogs mouth is actually cleaner than ours.

James Ruby

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR