JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Regarding the Hawthorne CA police shooting of the Rottie:

1. There was police action on the street with an armed standoff and possibly armed suspects barricaded inside the home.

2. The man with the dog had been asked repeatedly to move further back because his dog and his loud music were a distraction to officers who had weapons drawn and were covering the house.

3. None of the other people who recorded the incident were "harassed" or arrested by the police, only the one who insisted on blaring his music and parading back and forth in front with his Rottweiler in front of an ongoing and potentially lethal police action.

4. As a dog owner, I am 100% responsible for the safety of my dog. This responsibility includes, among other things, keeping my dog a reasonable distance back from active crime scenes and making sure my car windows are rolled up high enough to keep my dog from getting out if, for whatever reason, I must leave the dog in the car for any length of time.

5. The owner of the dog was actively seeking attention and actively trying to "get in on the action". Well, he got his wish and unfortunately it was his dog who paid the price.

6. Could the police have handled the situation better? In hindsight, yes. They could have instructed him to roll the windows up high enough to keep the dog from jumping out. Or, since he was obviously no threat and not resisting, they could have also unhooked him once the dog did jump out so that he could secure the dog. A person who "knows" dogs like I do and can read dog body language can also tell from the video that the dog probably would not have bitten anyone, but I dont necessarily blame the cop for being unwilling to take that chance. From what I saw in the video, it appeared that he tried to grab the dogs leash and missed.

The moral of this story is that simply watching the video without getting any of the other facts about the case is misleading, and that while the officers may indeed have overreacted (with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight) the owner of the dog bears at least part of the blame for intentionally putting both himself and his dog into the situation to begin with.

That is the ultimate statement "I am 100% responsible for the safety of my dog". if something were to happen to one of my dogs due to my own actions I would be living with that running in my mind for a very long time. To me my dogs are members of my family. Anyone that knows me knows this to be true.

James Ruby

The problem I see is that the police that are found guilty doing this are not paying for the crime - they simply pass the cost onto us the taxpayers.
What is going to stop the LEO when thier is no penalty for thier criminal activity - a paid vacation is what they normally end up with.

James Ruby

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads