JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes, it's changed how I buy and sell.

I've bought everything new because of this law passed as of late, why buy used at 85% of new with tariffs and government oversight when I can just buy it new...

Sure has changed things. I have always followed the laws, even when I find them unjust or a problem personally, but lately I have all but stopped private purchasing, its a hassle for me, its a a hassle for the seller, a hassle for the LGS, a waste of time and gas, and for what? So the Gubermint can stick it's nose in my business! I would love to go back to the days before a BGC, not for any nefarious reasons, just to get the gubmint out of one aspect of my life!

You mean other than making me even more interested in 80%s and DIY?

The ONLY way I would EVER consider anything less than virulent opposition to UBCs would be if there were an ironclad guarantee that no data could or would be retained and used to create or maintain a registry on pain of horrific gruesome death to both the perpetrators and the law's sponsors.

"It is a terrible thing to contemplate how few politicians are hanged."
--G. K. Chesterton

I really don't think that BGC's keep that many guns out of criminals hands.

Why bother to buy a gun ... when you can steal one ?
Or "buy" it from another criminal....

I not saying that BGC's do not stop a criminal for getting a gun ... Just that it has hurt the law abiding citizen more than it has stopped crime.
Andy

I agree but criminals shouldn't be able to just steal one. We should have them secured. And I do see your point but would hate to lose all my firearms rights proving it. There's only a handful of people I truly trust anymore. It may be a loosing battle trying to keep firearms out of the bad guys hands. That's one of the main reasons I carry. Good people are always getting punished for what bad people do. And it's the idiots in control that again find a way into your wallet.

No, not really. I just haven't done much in the way of private transactions before the law came into existence. That is not to say that the law isn't stupid and an infringement, because it is most certainly both.

No. If I want a used gun, I usually seek out a private sale. If I want a new one, I go to the store and buy it.

Typically, the decision making process hinges on the used gun being in good shape and noticably cheaper than a new one.

If we can't stop the bad guys, and we can't, the only way to ensure a level playing field is to proliferate hardware across as many good guys as possible.

"AK47s for EVERYONE!"
--Black Marketeer, Command & Conquer: Generals, when you buy the "Arm The Mob" upgrade for your Angry Mob units

Im sure if the government has a list of guns Im "supposed" to own and they showed up at my place, theyd only find the guns after SB941 went into effect. I sold the rest. Free bubblegum!

snake-oil.jpg

Only once have I ever sold a gun to someone I didn't know personally. I'd buy used or new depending on what I'm looking for. These new laws are only to extract more fees.."Taxes" from us...IMO.

Hell, if I had my way completing an 80% would be a mandatory Senior Shop class assignment... as would demonstrating assembly, disassembly and maintenance.

Then again, if I had my way every high-school senior's Graduation Present would be an all-expenses-paid trip to Parris Island for Basic. (Not pushing everybody into the Corps or even into service, just laying the basic mindset--and for the physically unsuitable make it a Bookwork version with lighter physical component to the limit of the student's ability, the point being a "shared cultural experience".)

Having come from california which, at the time of us moving, required all firearms to be officially registered (not just de facto), required a background check on EVERY firearms purchase, had a specific list of guns that were allowed to be sold in the state, and required a 10 day wait before you could even pickup your gun. I gotta say the laws here are WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY better than where I came from.

That being said. I am only now getting into a time in my life where I am actually able to purchase more guns. So my buying habits have more been affected by cash (or the lack of) than they have by the laws.

Yeah, it drastically slowed my ability to legally purchase a firearm.

Before I could purchase something on a weekend, at any time, but most importantly when I wasnt working.. Now with forced FFL extortion (transfers) I have to hammer out a time and day that not only works for me but the seller/buyer which is actually quite difficult. Its a ghost registration scheme and an anti access scheme conjured up by bigoted zealots. Its done nothing to halt crime, nothing.

Its total bullbubblegum.

So to answer the OP, yes.. Its drastically hindered my ability to buy affordable firearms. Essentially I just buy new since there is really no savings in private sales anymore. Factor in time, gas and extortion (transfer) costs and you may as well buy new.

I agree, no need to buy used anymore, but from a financial point, once you buy a new gun its yours. What I mean by that is make your choice wisely because you'll never get most of your money back if you dont like it and want to sell it.

Oh, and the last sale I did I had to wait a *#&$Ging HOUR at their store so they would do the "me to store" transaction.

So tell me how an hour + of my time is worth it again? nah.

Yes. My black market sales to criminals dried up. They refuse to do a background check and have decided that getting busted is not worth it and put their criminal intentions aside. Thank you Mr. Governor Brown you have single handily stopped firearm crimes and killed my gun buying/selling hobby at the same time. We should be thankful she hasn't put some huge transfer tax on firearm purchase to pay for state funded sex changes!

IF I do a used gun transaction, I do go through an FFL. But I agree that it has slowed down things quite a bit and makes me less likely to buy or sell a piece just to try something else out for sure.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews