JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nope, I live in Coos County!

Summary of Coos County gun-rights measure
Summary of Coos County gun-rights measure
A yes vote adopts and makes part of the Coos County Code the Second Amendment Preservation Ordinance. If approved the ordinance requires:
* Any law or regulation in violation of the U.S. or Oregon Constitution pertaining to the right to bear arms to be deemed as unconstitutional and void;
* Prohibits the use of Coos County funds, facilities and employees to enforce or punish any law, rule or order that infringes upon the right to bear arms such as (not exclusive):
* Registration requirements for lawfully owned firearms
* Prohibitions as to "assault" type firearms
* Restrictions pertaining (to) magazine capacity, clip capacity or types of ammunition
* Background check requirements beyond those required in December 2012
* Restrictions prohibiting possession, carry or transport of lawfully possessed firearms and ammunition
* Requires Sheriff to determine whether any law or regulation pertaining to the right to bear arms violates the U.S. or Oregon Constitution
* Exempts current criminal laws pertaining to firearms from the ordinance
* Provides financial penalties for violations of the ordinance
Source: Coos County Elections

The citizens of Coos County, voters - Passed this legislation 11-03/2015
Silver Hand

I assumed private sales were going along as they had in the past. I stop in every few days or few weeks depending on what I'm up to. I usually check new posts rather than the classifieds. The guns I've checked on that way were either already sold or over-priced. After reading this thread I checked the classifieds on handguns & rifles. It does look like sales have slowed down some. Myself, if I'm interested in a gun for sale I check online retailers and Gunbroker to see what they are selling for. Most common stuff I can get local with only a $10 BGC. Why would I pay more for a used gun? Never understood that. Extra used magazines are another thing. I really don't care that a seller paid $35 or $40 for a Glock mag. I can buy them local for $30 and I've bought them from online sales as low as $20 new. So, to me, that used Glock mag is worth $20 tops. Sorry for the rant.
I look for a good deal when I buy. For me that is usually local and online retailers or Gunbroker. One exception I can think of though. I want a Ruger American Predator rifle. Cabelas had it on sale for $399 plus $10 BGC. A Gunbroker seller sells them for $370 plus $30 shipping then add in $25 for the UBGC and it will cost me $16 more. I'll pay the $16 not to have to deal with buying a gun at Cabelas.
Sorry this got so long. I bought, sold and traded guns here before the BGC law. I haven't since but only because I've found better deals elsewhere. I am a little more picky about what I buy now. I don't really want to go through the hassle of selling something. I have thought about selling a few. But I think I'd try a Gunbroker listing before I list them here.

Don

It changed a couple things for me. For one if I was wanting something I would search for it used for a while. Since to me NIB or used made no matter. If I buy NIB it's going to be used as soon as I got my hands on it. So if I could find a better price private great. Now with the hassle and cost that's pretty much out. The other one is I am MUCH more careful about making sure I want something. I used to often buy some gun on a whim. Not really sure if I would like it. Since if I decided I did not it was a snap to sell again and get most of my money back. Now it's not so easy to recoup so I am a little more careful to make sure I want something first. It has made me hang on to a couple guns I would have probably sold by now. Have some that are safe queens but selling them is more trouble than it's worth. At least if I want to get enough for them to sell.

It changed a couple things for me. For one if I was wanting something I would search for it used for a while. Since to me NIB or used made no matter. If I buy NIB it's going to be used as soon as I got my hands on it. So if I could find a better price private great. Now with the hassle and cost that's pretty much out. The other one is I am MUCH more careful about making sure I want something. I used to often buy some gun on a whim. Not really sure if I would like it. Since if I decided I did not it was a snap to sell again and get most of my money back. Now it's not so easy to recoup so I am a little more careful to make sure I want something first. It has made me hang on to a couple guns I would have probably sold by now. Have some that are safe queens but selling them is more trouble than it's worth. At least if I want to get enough for them to sell.
That's about what it would be for me if I still lived in Wa.
I would just buy shiny stuff at gun shows then decide I don't really care for it. Next gun show trade it off.
I would really have to pick and choose what I wanted with that law. Heck I had lots of fun buying and selling at shows.
My gun show buddies say the shows arent near as good any more.

I don't really want to go through the hassle of selling something. I have thought about selling a few. But I think I'd try a Gunbroker listing before I list them here.

Don

The one problem you may have with GB is payment. Is there a way for a private seller to take a credit card of GB? The only guns I bought from them were dealers so I could use one with them. There is NO WAY I would send a M/O to someone I did not know. This could make others leery of the sale too. If the only way to pay is to send a M/O.

There are many laws on the books that are old and not enforced. In this case some county sheriffs have stated the background check law will not be enforced.
Well this law is not 'old' and just because a Sheriff says he will NOT enforce it does not mean it CAN'T be enforced. And personally I think it is a bad idea for a pro 2A politician to use the word 'sanctuary' to describe his position about a particular law he supports. Making the comparison:
"The same way Oregon has become a sanctuary state for immigration,"
Will only give the dems and antis an 'open door' to further position themselves to argue and justify the 'Sanctuary' city concept

Last Edited:
Well this law is not 'old' and just because a Sheriff says he will NOT enforce it does not mean it CAN'T be enforced. And personally I think it is a bad idea for a pro 2A politician to use the word 'sanctuary' to describe his position about a particular law he supports. Making the comparison:

Will only give the dems and antis an 'open door' to further position themselves to argue and justify the 'Sanctuary' city concept

This above statement invites the masses to Oregon.

The politicians have turned there backs on there own citizens. Choosing to place and support criminals and illegals ahead of it's own citizens is a crime.
We all fall further behind in job availability and income.
Housing and the price of goods go up, in turn get paid less no matter what the job and have fewer places to live.
Need a used car anyone?
Silver Hand

The one problem you may have with GB is payment. Is there a way for a private seller to take a credit card of GB? The only guns I bought from them were dealers so I could use one with them. There is NO WAY I would send a M/O to someone I did not know. This could make others leery of the sale too. If the only way to pay is to send a M/O.
Sorry, don't understand that. I would rather buy a money order at the post office and mail it than give my cc info over the phone. Did it for years on ebay before Paypal. And I've done it on Gunbroker. Some sellers will only take a postal money order.

Don

Sorry, don't understand that. I would rather buy a money order at the post office and mail it than give my cc info over the phone. Did it for years on ebay before Paypal. And I've done it on Gunbroker. Some sellers will only take a postal money order.

Don

Well let me help you understand. You send me a M/O and I never send you what you paid for. Your options are to try to take me to court from another state. Good luck.
You give me your credit card # and I do not send you item. You call bank who issued the card and they give you the money back and I'm out. People got ripped off all the time on ebay when it first started. It was a huge risk. The first time you get burned you will have to decide if what you "saved" was worth the money you just lost.

I'll keep using MOs and keep my CC info. There is a thing on eBay & Gunbroker called seller feedback ratings. I've also bought gun parts & guns from guys on gun forums using money orders & Paypal gift. No problems so far (years of doing this). You are right, I may get burnt. But never for more than the amount of the MO or Paypal transaction.

Don

Seems like nowadays the law makers ASSume everyone is on board with their crapola and everyone sits around on social media or in front of the evening news waiting to be spoon fed about the latest laws passed.

Was there a memo sent out?

I agree - I don't think everyone knows about SB 941, unless you're connected to a group like this or maybe a gun club, etc. Average Joe that buys a gun once in a long while, probably doesn't know anything about it, nor do they likely understand how it impacts them.

That said, when SB 941 passed in 2015, there was a series of television commercials that aired in the greater Portland metro area, using a former PDX police chief that informed folks of SB 941 and it's requirements. I remember commenting on it here on the forum as I can't recall ANY OTHER LAW that was followed by bought and paid for commercials to tell as many people as possible about this new law.

I'll keep using MOs and keep my CC info. There is a thing on eBay & Gunbroker called seller feedback ratings. I've also bought gun parts & guns from guys on gun forums using money orders & Paypal gift. No problems so far (years of doing this). You are right, I may get burnt. But never for more than the amount of the MO or Paypal transaction.

Don
Well yes that is the risk, getting burned. If you use plastic there is zero risk as you get all your money back. Your money your risk of course.

Yes. My buying/selling changed after SB941 passed, but not right away. I, like many others, enjoyed buying and selling on the used market - partially to save a little $$, but also to not pay full price for a gun I may or may not like or keep. I liked that I could get a gun, try it out for a while and put it back up for sale if I decide I didn't want to keep it. Once SB 941 passed, I worked to clear out my backlog of guns I wanted to move out of my collection and at this point, I've got none I plan on selling.

So, from this point forward, unless there was something I really wanted and it was a screaming deal, I'll just buy new. Too much hassle now trying to arrange for buyer and seller at one FFL at the same time. Huge PITA, not to mention the 'tax' we're paying to buy and sell our own damn property.

I'm sure there are plenty of folks not following SB 941, intentionally and unintentionally - doesn't sound like the state is bothering to enforce it, so all in all it's probably not a big deal for them. All it's really done for me is to take some of the fun out of buying and selling with private citizens. I guess in that way, the f'cktards in Salem got what they wanted.

Yes. My buying/selling changed after SB941 passed, but not right away. I, like many others, enjoyed buying and selling on the used market - partially to save a little $$, but also to not pay full price for a gun I may or may not like or keep. I liked that I could get a gun, try it out for a while and put it back up for sale if I decide I didn't want to keep it. Once SB 941 passed, I worked to clear out my backlog of guns I wanted to move out of my collection and at this point, I've got none I plan on selling.

So, from this point forward, unless there was something I really wanted and it was a screaming deal, I'll just buy new. Too much hassle now trying to arrange for buyer and seller at one FFL at the same time. Huge PITA, not to mention the 'tax' we're paying to buy and sell our own damn property.

I'm sure there are plenty of folks not following SB 941, intentionally and unintentionally - doesn't sound like the state is bothering to enforce it, so all in all it's probably not a big deal for them. All it's really done for me is to take some of the fun out of buying and selling with private citizens. I guess in that way, the f'cktards in Salem got what they wanted.

That was what I missed more that anything. The being able to buy something and never worry if I decided I did not like it later. Used to tell Wife when she was going through a LOT of damn guns trying to find her favorite. Every time she did not like one no big deal at all, just sell it. Now of course sadly it means either taking it to a dealer and taking a good loss, or trying to sell it and have transferred. Get a little more but how much hassle is it worth. Really a damn shame. it will have me renting something more often i'm sure. Make damn sure I want it before I buy it.:confused:

Well, there couldn't be a more germane topic for me this month.

A loved one died in November and I inherited his Ruger P89, which I intend to sell, since I'm a former LEO from the dark ages who will always carry a wheel gun. Though I'm very right wing when it comes to the Second Amendment, I've always thought universal background checks made sense, possibly because of personal experiences when it comes to the effects of maggots with guns. When I went to list the Ruger, I learned for the first time about the 'new' transfer law, and my first thought was, "What a pain in the arse!...how dare they!" It's been awhile since my beliefs were challenged by reality, but, even though being a bit handicapped, making the process even a bit more challenging, for the sake of society I'll bite the bullet and begrudgingly comply.

Which brings up the real motivation for my post: is there a list here somewhere of gun shops which will do private party BGCs, and their fees? I know a few phone calls could find me a dealer, but it might be a good resource for members if a 'sticky post' (?) were available, especially for finding dealers quickly who were equidistant for both parties.

Regards,
Max

Yup, it's changed how much I buy. I've only bought one gun since the law went into effect. I am extremely distrustful of our non elected Governor and put nothing past her, so the less I have my name on paper, the better.
Like @WAYNO said, I like to buy n sell guns just for fun. Since all of the background BS, I have only bought one gun and that's because it was such a screamin deal I couldn't pass it up. The one I did took so much time to get the background check run by the state, I wondered then why I was doing it. My time is worth something and I have much better ways to spend it than waiting for some government agency to "get around to it".

Well, there couldn't be a more germane topic for me this month.

A loved one died in November and I inherited his Ruger P89, which I intend to sell, since I'm a former LEO from the dark ages who will always carry a wheel gun. Though I'm very right wing when it comes to the Second Amendment, I've always thought universal background checks made sense, possibly because of personal experiences when it comes to the effects of maggots with guns. When I went to list the Ruger, I learned for the first time about the 'new' transfer law, and my first thought was, "What a pain in the arse!...how dare they!" It's been awhile since my beliefs were challenged by reality, but, even though being a bit handicapped, making the process even a bit more challenging, for the sake of society I'll bite the bullet and begrudgingly comply.

Which brings up the real motivation for my post: is there a list here somewhere of gun shops which will do private party BGCs, and their fees? I know a few phone calls could find me a dealer, but it might be a good resource for members if a 'sticky post' (?) were available, especially for finding dealers quickly who were equidistant for both parties.

Regards,
Max

Since you're in the Beaverton area, my first recommendation would be Tigard Pawn 4 More. They charge $25 for the private sale/transfer. As the seller, you need to bring a color photocopy of your driver's license, front and back. The buyer would fill out the usual 4473 for the BGC. Tigard Pawn does a lot of these and they are friendly folks to work with.

I also hear that Beaverton Pawn is a good choice, but I've got no experience with them. Tigard Pawn won't do you wrong.

It never bothered me much that shops did background checks, because if the order to "turn 'em all in" ever comes, we are at war already, and the point becomes moot. I was not going to let that deter me from getting what I wanted. (No I don't think background checks do any good and I am completely opposed to the notion of "prohibited persons".)

However, the requirement for background checks in private sales is "a bridge too far". I bought one gun since SB941 and got the check, but that didn't sit well with me any more (guess I'm getting cranky these days) so that is done. If a private seller wants to make a sale with me he will have to do it without a background check. Likewise, if I make a sale, I won't do it. Like Captain Mal said, "I aim to misbehave."

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top