JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Cut above won't hold the firearm in a private transfer situation which is a huge hassle, then I'm in there the other day and a "regular "(they know him by name) asks them to hold the rifle for the buy and they were like "no problem" I about started screaming at them I'm an hour drive one way and have done multiple trade/sales there and they wouldn't hold the firearm in the back for me or the buyer/trader, really pissed me off thinking about all the fuel and time I have wasted then they pick and choose who they will hold the firearms for. Either do or don't but to pick and chose is F'd up.
Tick licker raised their transfer fees Jan1 2024 from 35 to 45$ and said they did it because Coat of Arms raised theirs!! Coat of arms just fought the State and won and legal bills were $100k from what I heard, so I get they charge what they want they get a pass in my book. I have heard of other shops in the Salem area lowering there prices, Elite Buyers NW only charges $25 so I will just go there for transfers, with the NICS backed up the way it is currently I also tend to prefer shops that honor the 3 day rule and will pay the extra $10 if that's the case.
My two cents
To play devil's advocate, I could see why it may be a tricky situation. I imagine it would be a bit of a headache if the buyer ends up failing the bgc, how would they resolve that? Whose gun is it at that point? The seller got paid, but the buyer can't take possession of it. The explanation I've heard is that their willingness to hold for a seller during a wait isn't so much for just the types of regulars they know by name, but the types of regulars they know by name and also always get instant approvals… which would make it quicker and easier to give them back their firearms if the buyer's bgc fails.

Don't know what all you guys do to get in line... I just walked in, did the paperwork and walked out with a brand new receiver in 5ish maybe 10 minutes.

6 of one, half dozen of the other. No difference in result for me.
I just started purchasing in Oregon through Sportsmans so far and it's instant with the little iPad form they do. I always assumed the physical form would take a couple days to get a result. I will find out Monday.

got my first queue the other day (#601) via paper form and still waiting, normally I am instant (~15 minutes or so), am a CHL holder too. FYI
Seems like it's how busy OSP is. Got 3 instants, one 20 min wait, and 1 one day wait in last couple weeks. That one day OSP was really busy seemed like (according to ffl).

I think I heard something about the CHL queue preference going away about the time that Measure 114 business started.
If I recall correctly, CHL-holders and non-CHL holders were in the same line, just that CHL holders would automatically be moved to the front of the line. The problem began when there was a point at which the overall queue approached 40,000 and there were enough CHL holders jumping to the front of the line that non-CHL holders were actually moving backwards at times and were never getting a turn to be reviewed. That's when they made the decision to abandon giving priority to CHL holders.

There are now some people who get instant approvals but it doesn't appear that having a CHL plays into this. As best as anyone has been table to determine, having a unique name is the most reliable predictor of an instant approval. The presumption is that you have a name like "James Smith" there's probably hundreds of people that share your name, at least some of which are likely felons and so some manual review is required to be sure that you're not one of those.

If I recall correctly, CHL-holders and non-CHL holders were in the same line, just that CHL holders would automatically be moved to the front of the line. The problem began when there was a point at which the overall queue approached 40,000 and there were enough CHL holders jumping to the front of the line that non-CHL holders were actually moving backwards at times and were never getting a turn to be reviewed. That's when they made the decision to abandon giving priority to CHL holders.

There are now some people who get instant approvals but it doesn't appear that having a CHL plays into this. As best as anyone has been table to determine, having a unique name is the most reliable predictor of an instant approval. The presumption is that you have a name like "James Smith" there's probably hundreds of people that share your name, at least some of which are likely felons and so some manual review is required to be sure that you're not one of those.
Yea, that makes sense and I understand. The name thing seems to play a part too, I have a friend with a fairly unique name and he almost always get instant (within minutes) as opposed to me

I'm one of the fortunate people in that I'm not sure there's another person in the entire country with my same first/middle/last name combination, and I usually do get instant approvals, but there have been a couple times I've ended up in the queue. The most likely explanation for that, I'm told, is there's been an typo/entry error and what they entered doesn't match your record.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top