JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
There is a gun culture that went from need to want when it comes to Firearms.
If you were born before 1965, chances are you were not required to hunt, and fish for
as your only food source. In about the same time frame the NRA which was a hunting club and saw actually no need to
carry a firearm. Even legislated for tougher laws.
But this would change, and the Boomer age were now becoming adult voters. And people began carrying more and more.
The 2nd Amendment would become a rally cry for freedom.
Millennials, were not even born yet when California started its tough on gun ownership laws. These people were Boomers.

In Oregon and Washington most law makers are well past 60. So it appears that those whom were born from 1950-65 were what would
Become Anti-gun movement. Boomers for the most part.

So who raised GenX and Millennials? Baby Boomers. So why did they fail to teach the values needed?
I will tell you. Boomers and GenX are among the richest generations to exist so far. And wealth came fast.
Boomers bought, homes, boats, cars everything the previous Gen could not have. But unlike previous Boomer age.
Everyone could be rich, because of Plastic. Credit card CEO all whom were boomers Created the Me want, me have Gen.
Too busy wanting to have it was ignored that the laws were now slipping in quietly. And then Boomers hit 40 and 50 and realize they
were blind on their own watch.

You may not agree, but Boomers failed to change the path that they were in control of. I will tell you, Generation Z
Is dominating politics and rights they want. They are doing what Boomers failed to do. This was not over night.
Yet many were asleep at the wheel. And death by a thousand cuts was done. Me, yep. I am a Boomer and I actually fought for
gun rights. But I don't anymore. Why? There are simply too many NOT ON MY WATCH people that let us think when the chip are down
not from my cold dead hands. Hate to break it to some. It was cold and dead 20 years ago. We built this. Not GenZ. They just capitalized
on Boomers being lazy until it was too late.

Born 82. Considered a Millennial (Gen Y).

Boomers now about 19%;
Gen X 20%ish
Gen Y 20-21%ish (Millenials)
Gen Z, 20-21%.
older gens before Boomers,, specifically "Forgotten Gen,"5-6%ish
"Greatest Gen", 2% or so
Younger generations after Z, the rest? (Gen Alpha?)

Oh goody...
Yet another round of The Blame Game.
Or maybe an exciting new chapter in Us versus Them.

There is no one easy answer for the why of "harsh gun laws"...
Nor is there one easy way to stop the never ending issuing of gun laws.
Andy

There is a gun culture that went from need to want when it comes to Firearms.
If you were born before 1965, chances are you were not required to hunt, and fish for
as your only food source. In about the same time frame the NRA which was a hunting club and saw actually no need to
carry a firearm. Even legislated for tougher laws.
But this would change, and the Boomer age were now becoming adult voters. And people began carrying more and more.
The 2nd Amendment would become a rally cry for freedom.
Millennials, were not even born yet when California started its tough on gun ownership laws. These people were Boomers.

In Oregon and Washington most law makers are well past 60. So it appears that those whom were born from 1950-65 were what would
Become Anti-gun movement. Boomers for the most part.

So who raised GenX and Millennials? Baby Boomers. So why did they fail to teach the values needed?
I will tell you. Boomers and GenX are among the richest generations to exist so far. And wealth came fast.
Boomers bought, homes, boats, cars everything the previous Gen could not have. But unlike previous Boomer age.
Everyone could be rich, because of Plastic. Credit card CEO all whom were boomers Created the Me want, me have Gen.
Too busy wanting to have it was ignored that the laws were now slipping in quietly. And then Boomers hit 40 and 50 and realize they
were blind on their own watch.

You may not agree, but Boomers failed to change the path that they were in control of. I will tell you, Generation Z
Is dominating politics and rights they want. They are doing what Boomers failed to do. This was not over night.
Yet many were asleep at the wheel. And death by a thousand cuts was done. Me, yep. I am a Boomer and I actually fought for
gun rights. But I don't anymore. Why? There are simply too many NOT ON MY WATCH people that let us think when the chip are down
not from my cold dead hands. Hate to break it to some. It was cold and dead 20 years ago. We built this. Not GenZ. They just capitalized
on Boomers being lazy until it was too late.
Whole lotta finger pointing and lamenting in that post.

Well. For Congress; Boomers are still the majority, both in House and Senate. Gen Xs are growing, as are Millennials (Gen Y). Only 1 Gen Z is in House of Reps, from Florida.

Edit. The big problem IMO is that people keep voting incumbents in and for the letter by the name, platform messages and behavior be damned.

I'm not certain there is any evidence they failed. Here we are currently ruling gun control laws unconstitutional. There's been several major legal blows to gun control in just the last couple of years. In Oregon years ago pro gun Boomers proactively and intentionally enacted the states preemption law on gun control which has been a huge hangup the anti gunners here are still struggling to overcome. They are chipping away at it for sure but its been very effective at preventing draconian gun laws like Californias from creeping up here despite the equally deep blue state Oregon has become.

Currently there is a pro gun group teaching Gen Z and Gen A kids gun safety
@Kids_SAFE_Fdn

Currently gun ownership among liberals has increased at an unusual rate.

not certain what the question is here?

Not often do I read a post here without finding some sort of compelling point.

Agenda driven rather than anything of value. There goes a few minutes of my life I won't get back.

I don't think things went down the way the O.P. thinks, I believe it goes back WAY further, like the 1920's and the Massive Gov. Overreach starting with Prohibition and tanking the economy, then the NFA of 1934 and several other bit time power grabs! Remember, NFA was supposed to be an outright ban, but SCOTUS rules it unconstitutional on it's face, so congress re did it and turned it into a TAX so it could pass the sniff test! Our rights were already under attack at that point, you could say it goes all the way back to the 1860's with towns and cities banning the carry of firearms in town or the city, certainly unconstitutional, but nobody challenged it, or got any traction on a case.

The 1950's saw many HUGE and long lasting changes, the quantum shift from Rural to Urban living, putting a bunch of diverse thinking into a small area was bound to lead to differing opinions of what constitutes a threat and how best to address it. California has always been a Hot Spot for this type of thing, and through the collages and other modern progressive institutions, the liberal mindset started to take hold, and remember, this was the cold war period when the world stood upon the brink of total destruction, so there was a strong sense of fear. Things were pretty low key through out the 50's up through the 80's, it was really only certain events that lead congress and political players to move against our constitutional rights, and it's THOSE people who bare the blame, not any group or generation, and certainly not a sense of laziness of the people, No, it was a few very evil people who believed their vision of Utopia was the ONLY way forward, and that if they had to break a few laws to get their dreams, so be it! If anything, it was boomers who infringed the most, not a lack of boomers to stand against them, remember, we didn't really have a 2nd friendly court until NOW, thanks to one Donald John Trump, so there is that, SCOTUS was pretty lame up until now, afraid to take a 2nd case, especially one as far reaching as Bruen,, but here we are, and it's only going to get better and SCOTUS applies Bruen to a whole metric chit ton of challenges, currently up over 450 cases winding their way through the courts Post Bruen, so we are not "Expanding rights" as the left is fond of saying, FALSELY) No, we are restoring rights TAKEN from us!

As the Boomers age out, it's the Gen X folks who are taking the fight for our rights to those courts, and at no time in our history have we had such an opportunity, mostly to put the Gov. in it's place, reminding them who they serve, and that is why the lefties are so pizzed right now, their gambit with Pedo Joe and the Kamal Toe, has forced us into this position, and arguably, this might be the best thing to happen to our rights since the beginning in 1791, now all we gotta do is undo everything Pedo and Obummer have done the last 12 or so years, and thats gonna take a civil war or a miracle!

Well. For Congress; Boomers are still the majority, both in House and Senate. Gen Xs are growing, as are Millennials (Gen Y). Only 1 Gen Z is in House of Reps, from Florida.

Edit. The big problem IMO is that people keep voting incumbents in and for the letter by the name, platform messages and behavior be damned.
:s0114:
TimeSeeWhatsBecomeOfUs.jpg

Media and Colleges impact younger voters who idolize communist views where the government controls everything including access to firearms. Plenty of young kids vote poorly without any thought as to ballot impact. Since they don't have established careers, property or savings/investments they tend to vote now and figure it out later.. and sadly those policies they vote for cycle after cycle build up.. only for them to realize they dislike what they've been voting for regularly (see California for example) then they flee like parasites to fiscally appealing and prosperous states with more freedom only to start the cycle over again and of course not learning the error of their ways let alone changing them.

Most "boomers" I know lean more moderate/conservative. Very few are radical left. Even if they had kids and attempted to raise them with common sense, these radicalized kids are indoctrinated daily by social media and their schools.. there is only so much a parent can do.

Most "boomers" I know lean more moderate/conservative. Very few are radical left. Even if they had kids and attempted to raise them with common sense, these radicalized kids are indoctrinated daily by social media and their schools.. there is only so much a parent can do.
This pretty much sums up the subject.

I'm the son of a couple boomers and I'm tired of everyone blaming everything on the boomers. My parents have what they have from working their fingers to the bone all while being honest with a little integrity sprinkled on top. I like to blame myself for the current state of the world....not the older generation.

Oh goody...
Yet another round of The Blame Game.
Or maybe an exciting new chapter in Us versus Them.

There is no one easy answer for the why of "harsh gun laws"...
Nor is there one easy way to stop the never ending issuing of gun laws.
Andy
I wonder how old the OP is ?

I'm the son of a couple boomers and I'm tired of everyone blaming everything on the boomers. My parents have what they have from working their fingers to the bone all while being honest with a little integrity sprinkled on top. I like to blame myself for the current state of the world....not the older generation.
Same here, boomers and the generation before them have/had a level of work ethic that kids these days cannot even fathom.
Hardest working generation(s) I've ever seen.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top