JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It has not affected me. I most always buy new. I would rather pay a few extra bucks and have the piece of mind knowing that I am not buying someone else's lemon. If I were to sell a gun, the $25 dealer and BGC fee can be split and it not that much. I also have the piece of mind knowing that I did not sell a gun to a prohibited person who used it in a crime and then it was traced back to me as the last known legal owner. The Government already knows I have a number of firearms and I am not worried about them kicking in my door to confiscate them. I am old and won't be around by the time things get that bad.

I mostly only sold to people that had a concealed carry license, I wish the law had an exception for those of us that that have one. But of course that wasn't the point of the law.

Very good subject to be discussed here. I've often thought about this subject and it raises questions in my mind. For instance, has anyone been prosecuted for selling or buying by not following the law? Personally, I've not heard of it happening, but then my experience is limited and it may happen and I just dont hear about it. I probably average about 15 or so gun deals/trades per year. Often it's with guys I've known for years and trust. Less often it's with folks I just dont know. I've many times wanted to ask how they would feel about going about the deal while ignoring the law. I've yet to do so. And there are some qualifying issues, like how long have you owned the gun and was it registered to you. If any of you out there feel like commenting on your experiences without compromising yourself I'd be interested in reading your responses. Thanks

If any of you out there feel like commenting on your experiences without compromising yourself I'd be interested in reading your responses. Thanks
I am sure that people have done gun trades or sales while non complying to the BGC law.

As for commenting without compromising yourself...

It is better to be quiet and be thought an idiot , than to open my mouth and prove it.
( or type away and prove it .... :D )
Andy

Last Edited:
In my case I don't think it's had a direct effect. I'm just kinda at a point where I'm pretty good with what I have and don't have much of any reason to buy or sell anything. Indirectly though, I think I see far less cool stuff that may strike my fancy being sold privately.

In my case I don't think it's had a direct effect. I'm just kinda at a point where I'm pretty good with what I have and don't have much of any reason to buy or sell anything. Indirectly though, I think I see far less cool stuff that may strike my fancy being sold privately.

I'm pretty much set here, too. Waiting to get rich and then go on a buying spree.

Ugh, I hate being the devils advocate here, but I kind of like it. I've looked at plenty of guns from classifieds at public meeting places and drove away a couple times because the deal seemed "too good". Now when the deal seems "too good" I know, at that time, the gun isn't hot and I have a piece of paper covering me more than a handshake.

I've done enough deals with the ATF, I'm sure they are aware I own guns and I'm not concerned about big brother knowing how many glocks I own. My wife on the other hand.......

Is it a financial inconvenience? Yes, but it's pretty cheap insurance, and I get to throw a few bucks at my local FFL.

Finally, with my CHL, in the past four months I have had less than 10 minute wait times on all my purchases.

Please go easy on me........:)

It's no insurance at all. The only thing they could ever get you on is if you knowingly sold a firearm to a felon,out of state person on pistols or a kid under 18.
There wasn't any legal need for any picture ID,receipt or anything else.
If they ever came to me a would have simply told them I sold my guns pet state law. I do not knowingly sell to a felon.
As for that nowhere did it ever say you had to ask anything of the person. Just that you did not knowingly sell to a felon.
So after that the gun is out of your stead. You are no longer tied to it in any way.
Remember,they need to prove you guilty. The way the law read that would be hard to do.
Even here,where the laws are like WA used to be, I won't worry about selling to strangers. As long as I don't know they are felons I am legally good
That law will never stop much of anything
Yes I do vet the people I sell to so calm down

Last Edited:
I will not sell a firearm to a person I don't know unless they can produce a concealed carry permit. It let's me know that you are probably not a criminal.

I just happened to be at the end of a very long stretch in which I had been going in and out of used guns on a search for the right types of guns for me. I was very fickle and went through every brand, every platform, every type of gun. I was just beginning to settle down when the BGC came through. I made a flurry of last-minute sales and buys and have pretty much stopped buying guns. Well, that's not exactly true, but I have 100% STOPPED SELLING.

I always felt that one of the most American things to do was buy/sell a used gun to another citizen in a parking lot.

We kinda like to keep responses legal on here

There are many laws on the books that are old and not enforced. In this case some county sheriffs have stated the background check law will not be enforced. But if your still worried don't drive your automobile in some Oregon cities because it may spook the horses.

I haven't bought or sold any firearms since the bgc law changed. I planned way ahead and I have my basic firearms needs covered, so prior to the new law, I preferred to buy from a private party rather than a FFL when I came across firearms that met my buying criteria needs with the intention to have as little government intervention as possible.
The only way that I would consider buying from a private party now is if I bought from my extended family, wink, wink, nod, nod. I only have a small extended family and don't want to test the law, so I just do a lot of looking nowadays. I suppose that if I came across a deal too good to pass up, I might consider going through the added hassle to buy from a private party, but it would have to be for a good reason and an exceptional deal. I realize that this attitude sucks for anyone selling, including me if I decide to sell a firearm, but that is how the new law has affected my thinking. Yes I think the new bgc law has had the affect to depress used firearm prices.

It's really affected my buying habits. Since my gun 'tastes' run to the classic or otherwise collectible many of my purchases have taken me to out of the way areas and at odd times of the day for a FTF purchase. Also some of the people I have bought from are not the types who would readily meet for a FFL transfer (older, retired or otherwise not the types that would have wanted to travel for a transfer) so this part for me is largely in part gone now.

The BGC law changed my purchasing in one respect; i am much less likely to buy a used firearm that is priced close to the street price of a new gun (unless it is something hard to find).

I am a bit amazed at how many people on NWFA price their used firearms close to, at or above the street price. With a new gun, if there is a problem, I have a higher chance of getting the seller or manufacturer to deal with the issue than I do a used gun, especially if the gun has been "customized".

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top