JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, before the recent background check law, I preferred to buy any firearms I was seeking from private parties, without a background check. Even if the cost was the same as new, or slightly above, I still preferred private sales. As with others here, I preferred to not have a record of the purchase recorded with any government agency. Lately, as I peruse the classifieds, I keep wondering why I would buy used, unless the price was substantially at a discount. If I have to go through a background check anyway, why not buy new for the same, or close to the same, price. Obviously, some firearms that are out of production, or the older models are preferred for quality reasons, etc. still hold weight. But, apples to apples, why not buy new?

Also, if others feel this way also, do you think the recent law has had the affect of depressing used gun prices? I'm just curious what others think.....

Seems to like you are a product of your own environment.
If you were silly enough to buy used at a new price just because it wouldn't require a check then you have helped inflate the used prices.
Now those folk will have to adjust their prices for the new market. And you will either have to wait for this or buy new.
Personally I never cared about the checks. I've bought enough guns from shops that it doesn't matter any more. The PTB think I have quite a substantial "arsenal", lol. But I've sold most off.
It didn't change the way I buy guns ,I just buy what I want where I find it. Check or not

Yes, it changed my buying habits. Mainly because private sellers insist on a BGC. I'd much rather do buying & selling away from government oversight. Uncle Sam has become too nosey.

I think the BGC have hurt the used gun buyers and traders.
$100 -$200 .22 rifles are now that plus a BGC fee.
The same goes for a inexpensive shotgun.
That hurts a trade in value or can even break a sale or trade.

If you are looking at a bigger price tag gun then it might not slow sales or trades.
After all if you can spend $300 or more a BGC isn't that big of a deal.

But for the guy on a tight budget or looking for a cheap or beater gun for a truck gun , project gun , or just a learner for his kid ... then I'd say yes it has changed how I shop or buy.

The BGC itself has changed how I buy and sell or trade.
Gotta find a dealer who is willing to do a transfer , work around his hours to do the transfer etc...
All in all its a PITA for the small time hobbyist trade /buyer.

As for buying a used over new gun ... Well some models that you may want or like , might not be made anymore so you have no choice but to buy used.
That BGC can influence my decision depending on price...

Andy

Last Edited:
I buy less used firearms because the fees involved, I am always looking for a deal either new or used. Gun shops have the best used gun prices lately, even the pawn shops are running high. But seems like now days with online shopping, NEW is the way to go for current production firearms. Also surplus military/government firearms can be found insanely cheap online. where the market took $79 BIG5 mosins to $200 is a horrible thing, crazy bubblegum like that I will never understand.
I see tons of used stuff at online new prices and the persons response is always after shipping and transfer you will be paying my price
Which I think, I can have a new one in a few days or a used one in a few days because its gotta be transferred and the likelihood of my schedule aligning with someone elses is unlikely, I now tend to lean toward new stuff
Which changes how I look for firearms, instead of classifieds I now find myself searching daily deals and clearance pages of wholesalers and distributors.
Lets face it most people think their firearm is worth the same they paid for it, which is rarely the case. Even if you add a few mags or accessories, its all still used in my eyes.
Magazines and optics are the same, unless its a crazy deal I dont want to purchase used gear for same as new prices. Especially because Id have to take time to go meet someone or have it shipped directly to my door, I will take it delivered.
My favorite are the guys on this page with items they have had posted for years and they have actual raise their prices...

Last Edited:
My main motivation for buying private party is availability. Seldom is anything I'm interested in available at a local gun store. I continue to buy private party, and now it costs 30-bucks more to do so.

How I'm much more impacted, is in selling. I am a gun trader. Buy a gun, shoot it for a while, and peddle it. What I have found, is with the BGC law, it's extremely difficult for me to sell anything locally.

So since I can't sell guns when I'm done with them, I'm buying fewer guns.

WAYNO.

If anything , I think that the BGC laws have created more criminals than stopped any crime.
I am not saying to break any laws ... But I am sure that many folks are not complying when it comes to a sale or trade to a trusted friend.
Andy

If anything , I think that the BGC laws have created more criminals than stopped any crime.
I am not saying to break any laws ... But I am sure that many folks are not complying when it comes to a sale or trade to a trusted friend.
Andy

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson.

@AndyinEverson Speaks for me.
I am exactly that "small time hobbyist trade /buyer" he speaks of.
I enjoyed buying things of interest but unknown to me, usually lacking beauty to lower the cost, playing with them until my curiosity was satisfied, then selling them off without regard for profit. I do little of that now as the added cost can sometimes be 25% of the value. I tried to justify the loss as a "rental" fee, as you would for a boat for the day at the marina, where I pay a small fee plus the price of the item as a refundable deposit to play with something new, then move it along. However selling a low value or cost item when the buyer has to invest another chunk has made moving the item along sometimes nearly impossible without another sizable reduction of price on my part, hitting me twice.
It is a regressive law without merit whose sole purpose is to obstruct and penalizes all who will not conform.
Those who will justify this law and any other that id hard to swallow are selling their soul little pieces at a time and calling it compromise. Continuation of that practice will eventually claim it all and will live , work and eat when and where they are told.

I personally don't mind the checks IF it helps keeps firearms out of criminal hands. I did a lot of parking lot deals before the laws changed. And really hoped they weren't going into the wrong hands. The money they want is bs. But get the government involved in anything and they'll find a way to F it up.

Like others they must think I have a stockpile of weapons but many were sold before the laws changed.

I really don't think that BGC's keep that many guns out of criminals hands.

Why bother to buy a gun ... when you can steal one ?
Or "buy" it from another criminal....

I not saying that BGC's do not stop a criminal for getting a gun ... Just that it has hurt the law abiding citizen more than it has stopped crime.
Andy

I don't buy private guns anymore. And I don't leave my firearms with a friend when I leave for the winter. I take them all with me. Soooo, I stay out of Cali.

I was think about SB941 on the way to work this morning and I was wondering how anyone not frequenting gun forums or paying close attention to the law when it took effect would have the slightest clue they were doing anything wrong when selling their firearm to a friend at work or whatever.

Seems like nowadays the law makers ASSume everyone is on board with their crapola and everyone sits around on social media or in front of the evening news waiting to be spoon fed about the latest laws passed.

Was there a memo sent out?

Do the LGS salespeople inform the buyer of SB941 and what it meas should they decide to sell their new firearm?

Are criminals aware of this fact?

Not that I can tell, so it seems only those who are within the community and care about the issues and care about being legal will be inclined to obey Phloyd :rolleyes:

Edited...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads