JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have been getting instants ever since I started omitting my SSN, which is odd since I know I share a name with a felon back east somewhere. I did get put in the queue yesterday though, and my FFL thinks that is less to do with me and more to do with one of the guns I was buying. They will apparently put things on holds if they want to look up a specific gun too, not just for the person. So if you are buying something that has been through a lot of hands, or does not have a clear provenance, or maybe even they think was involved in a crime you could get a hold for that reason while they sort out if they want to block the sale (and maybe pick up the gun I suppose). Just one more wrinkle to consider in this whole situation.

I'm one of the fortunate people in that I'm not sure there's another person in the entire country with my same first/middle/last name combination, and I usually do get instant approvals, but there have been a couple times I've ended up in the queue. The most likely explanation for that, I'm told, is there's been a typo/entry error and what they entered doesn't match your record.
This. I am always an instant, the only time (once) where I did not get an instant over the course of the last 3 years, was when there ended up being a typo in the entry of the form. I was very suprised by that one however, because after the employee let me know this, and that i had gone into the queue, a few minutes later the shop phone rang, and it was actually a NICS staff member, calling them about it! I was surprised and kinda impressed. Employee was able to confirm it was an entry/typo, and then the NICS employee put it through and approved a minute later. I am guessing that sort of interaction is incredibly rare!

I actually like now that many FFLs are moving to electronic forms, where you yourself enter your information onto an ipad/computer kiosk, as that way then if you yourself made a typo, you have no one to blame but yourself, rather than the poor store employee entering hundreds of them trying to do their best! I am a regular at that shop, and so it ended up being a good laugh and no biggie, but i could see some people getting incredibly upset about it. . .

Only time in the last 25 years I have not gotten an instant approval was making the mistake of going to Sportsman. The GED trailer park monkey working the counter somehow messed up my app and put me in the queue. They were able to cancel, and I drove over to another well known gun store and got an instant and saved $60.

Since then, Sportsman's become the only other store than Cabela's I will never ever purchase a firearm from ever.

Only time in the last 25 years I have not gotten an instant approval was making the mistake of going to Sportsman. The GED trailer park monkey working the counter somehow messed up my app and put me in the queue. They were able to cancel, and I drove over to another well known gun store and got an instant and saved $60.

Since then, Sportsman's become the only other store than Cabela's I will never ever purchase a firearm from ever.
The one and only firearm I bought at Cabela's the older salesman was professional , complete and encouraging . Compared to some of the others behind the counter I was glad I received his help . I guess YMMV . ;)

The one and only firearm I bought at Cabela's the older salesman was professional , complete and encouraging . Compared to some of the others behind the counter I was glad I received his help . I guess YMMV . ;)
Indeed, the mileage does vary. There are small stores with terrible proprietors that only stay in business because the owner has other sources of income, and their are giant chains that happen to hire the most knowledgeable employees on occasion. But I think the overall balance favors the small shop for service. This is because most small shops live and die by their loyal customer base, while the large chains have many other sources of revenue other than the gun counter. It just means the weeding is much stronger on the smaller end of the spectrum, and I typically like to stay at that end for that reason.

I remember at sportsmans when I was looking for a holster for a sig and asked where they were. The older guy said, "just a minute I have to help this guy and then I'll help you find a holster for your sigma."

Cabelas up st Tualitin is an awesome store.

Used guns galore that are severely underpriced.

Husqvarna m40 $299.99
Walther P1 1983 production $299.99
Winchester m1 carbine with bad mismatched stock $399.99
K43 Walther 8mm $799.99 because of a bad stock and it was sporterized. Stock was not matching. Who cares.
Went to that polish retro stock maker and back in business.
Severely Tapco'd Hungarian Fég SA85M $599.99

Been my go to store for cool old guns.

Now the Lugers...they had a massive luger collection but that was priced right on the spot sadly with not one luger being less than $2000.

Simply put, the Oregon so-called "Instant Background Check" is not close to "Instant."

I'm a concealed carry holder, never been arrested, and legally speaking sqeeky clean. I hold an Oregon medical license that required a background check and bi-yearly attestation that I am not being adjudicated for any questionable activity.

Up until today my Background Checks have happened in about 15 minutes. Now I've paid for a thousand dollar firearm and it's being held until heaven knows when.

Government entities only respond to legal action. Unless there is legal action against the Oregon Instant Background Check nothing is going to change.

It is clear to anyone who follows Oregon politics that the super majority that controls this state does not believe in private firearms ownership, period. What incentive do they have to change unless someone files legal action against them?

Simply put, the Oregon so-called "Instant Background Check" is not close to "Instant."

I'm a concealed carry holder, never been arrested, and legally speaking sqeeky clean. I hold an Oregon medical license that required a background check and bi-yearly attestation that I am not being adjudicated for any questionable activity.

Up until today my Background Checks have happened in about 15 minutes. Now I've paid for a thousand dollar firearm and it's being held until heaven knows when.

Government entities only respond to legal action. Unless there is legal action against the Oregon Instant Background Check nothing is going to change.

It is clear to anyone who follows Oregon politics that the super majority that controls this state does not believe in private firearms ownership, period. What incentive do they have to change unless someone files legal action against them?
I had my very first NON INSTANT check

Took 5 days.

I had my very first NON INSTANT check

Took 5 days.
I wonder if both yours and the one above were on Friday? Some days when state patrol is busy a normal instant buyer can be put in the que. That's what I experienced anyway. Btw got an instantly on Thursday but now I wonder if I would have if I went on Friday?

I wonder if both yours and the one above were on Friday? Some days when state patrol is busy a normal instant buyer can be put in the que. That's what I experienced anyway. Btw got an instantly on Thursday but now I wonder if I would have if I went on Friday?
I've said it before, I'll say it again. I lean more towards an input error by the clerk.

Yes it was a Friday.

My name is pretty darn unique, I hold a clearance, CCW, and I used my SSN.
Still took 5 days when my last instant was early March at the Albany Rifle Pistol Club show.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. I lean more towards an input error by the clerk.
While that's possible, I don't think so. I always used to get instants. Nothing changed on my end, but in the last two years I haven't gotten one! The last one was entered on laptop, then called in the next day. Didn't matter. The day after that it was approved.

The fact that the queue is hovering right around 4-5 days before approval, around 2000 in the queue, for going on several months now, no way that is a coincidence. I hate to be that tin foil hat wearing guy, but there is just no way that the amount of buyers has just magically matched the number of approvals that can be completed for so long. IMO it is a way for them to implement a 'wait period', a law they would love to have on the books, but because it isnt yet here is their work around. They found out last year when the queue went to 40K, and per Oregon law FFLs started releasing after 3 days, that they had to limit it to around that time frame. So here we are. I am fortunate to always get instant approvals, but the couple of times I havent it has been due to entry error.

PS- we live in a crazy time right now, where suddenly SUPPRESSOR approvals are coming back FASTER than Oregon NICS gun approvals. So i have just pivoted to buying suppressors for now- just got my SEVENTH can, all completed in under 3 days from start to finish!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top