JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In Oregon, I have two family members (CHL, Veterans, clean records) who have 100% always been instant approvals on the firearms background check forever. The two buy several guns per year and nothing else has changed in buying habits. Any idea while all of a sudden both were denied instant approval and had to wait in queue for approval this week?

In Oregon, I have two family members (CHL, Veterans, clean records) who have 100% always been instant approvals on the firearms background check forever. The two buy several guns per year and nothing else has changed in buying habits. Any idea while all of a sudden both were denied instant approval and had to wait in queue for approval this week?
Luck ran out.

Or the individual who input the info for the BCG did it incorrectly.

I myself (Veteran, CHL, clean record, etc.) have never waited more than 10 minutes and that included the purchased during the 114 nonsense.

It's not a guarantee that just because it always HAS happened means it always WILL happen.

I found an interesting thing about my checks. I share an IRL name with a felon out east somewhere so I am used to getting holds while they sort that stuff out. But about a month ago I forgot to put my social on the paperwork and it got punched in without it. Instant approval. Tried again a few weeks ago and intentionally left it off, still instant approval. That makes two for two, and I have no idea why. I have been putting my social on that paperwork basically since forever and have always had problems with delays. Sometimes the bureaucratic gods smile on you it seems, and no one knows why.

I found an interesting thing about my checks. I share an IRL name with a felon out east somewhere so I am used to getting holds while they sort that stuff out. But about a month ago I forgot to put my social on the paperwork and it got punched in without it. Instant approval. Tried again a few weeks ago and intentionally left it off, still instant approval. That makes two for two, and I have no idea why. I have been putting my social on that paperwork basically since forever and have always had problems with delays. Sometimes the bureaucratic gods smile on you it seems, and no one knows why.
Gonna have to try that next time. I always put ssn too and never get an instant even though I have a unique last name.

I too have started having issues with BGC. Not just firearm, but things like volunteering at school and per-employment checks. I found out from one of them that someone with the same first, middle and last name who happens to be a week younger than me is the issue. He likes to commit armed robbery, and has been in and out of prison all over the east coast.

I sincerely believe it's something. For me I have a very very unique name, CHL holder, veteran, still a reservist IRR and still have security clearances good until 2026.

My brother is the same.

A friend with the same setup as me but has a traditional name and first name gets instant also.

I mean his name is practically like John Smith but he has security clearances and is still .mil.

So I don't know what is the trigger.

The new OSP portal. Many people who use to get instant approvals, no longer get them since OSP starting using the new portal.

I have zero on my record, have my CCL, work in healthcare where a clean background is a requirement and was denied a purchase about 2 months ago now. Can't get any response from the appeals process either. I'm frustrated by this process or lack there of. I've never really felt this helpless.

A lot of things are not as they were/have been in the last three years. Where ya' been?

Maybe listing your SSN just gives them one more thing they have to check, and have to go to a different place for. Might be that getting your SSN actually takes a day or more these days. I'm on the board of a small 501c3 corporation.

A couple years ago we got a notice from IRS that we had filed something late and a fee charged against us for that. Our treasurer, a very careful thorough guy, sent IRS a letter and copies of everything showing we had filed everything on time. It took them about three months to respond--with a letter saying they would look into it. It took them about two years to finally get back to us saying we had indeed filed everything on time.

A couple of weeks ago I mailed a check and deposit for to my local band. When I moved to Oregon 4 decades+ ago, a letter mailed anywhere in Corvallis to another Corvallis address would reliably be delivered the next day unless it was Sunday. In spite of the Corvallis mail all having to go through the POs in both Corvallis and Salem. Now it usually takes three business days...I thought. Nope. It took a week. And my bank said that wasn't unusual.

I estimate I've gone through North of 100 BGCs and I've been put in line exactly.... Twice. It happens.

Or maybe it's the end of the world and we should make a whole thread (yet again) about having to wait just a weeee bit longer than we'd like once in a while.

did one this week at TP4More, queue I think. was about 200 and got instant again, but every time I mention this I think I might be jinxing myself....

I estimate I've gone through North of 100 BGCs and I've been put in line exactly.... Twice. It happens.

Or maybe it's the end of the world and we should make a whole thread (yet again) about having to wait just a weeee bit longer than we'd like once in a while.
It is more than just that. The wait can be the difference between a right exercised and a right denied.

I found a gun for a good price once while on vacation. I went through the check and got a delay. Could not stay for the hold since this was my last day there and home was 6+ hours away. Shop offered to ship it, but the shipping fees plus the receiving FFL fees put the cost at over retail for the gun new. The only real choice there was was to pass on the gun.

This is exactly why the anti-gun groups never pass any of the legislation that would improve the BGC system, even if that improvement got them UBC. Remember back in the 90s when there was bipartisan support for BIDS? The NRA helped write that legislation, and it would have provided for a UBC system that was instant, untraceable and unlinked to just guns. It was a simple phone number that gave a simple "yes/no" to the question "is this person a prohibited person?" based on a few pieces of common ID information (usually name, addy and DL number). Guess who shot it down? Yeah, all the big anti-gun groups of the day. They shot it down because it was a UBC system that was less burdensome than NICS, and they only want to implement a system that is more burdensome. Anything else will be killed by them for "reasons."

The delays are just another way to "encourage" people to not exercise their rights, nothing more and nothing less.

It is more than just that. The wait can be the difference between a right exercised and a right denied.

I found a gun for a good price once while on vacation. I went through the check and got a delay. Could not stay for the hold since this was my last day there and home was 6+ hours away. Shop offered to ship it, but the shipping fees plus the receiving FFL fees put the cost at over retail for the gun new. The only real choice there was was to pass on the gun.

This is exactly why the anti-gun groups never pass any of the legislation that would improve the BGC system, even if that improvement got them UBC. Remember back in the 90s when there was bipartisan support for BIDS? The NRA helped write that legislation, and it would have provided for a UBC system that was instant, untraceable and unlinked to just guns. It was a simple phone number that gave a simple "yes/no" to the question "is this person a prohibited person?" based on a few pieces of common ID information (usually name, addy and DL number). Guess who shot it down? Yeah, all the big anti-gun groups of the day. They shot it down because it was a UBC system that was less burdensome than NICS, and they only want to implement a system that is more burdensome. Anything else will be killed by them for "reasons."

The delays are just another way to "encourage" people to not exercise their rights, nothing more and nothing less.
That's not a right being denied…..

That's just loosing out on a good "deal." You still had the option to get the gun. It just wasn't financially worth it at that point.

Delays happen.
Getting put in the que happens.

Getting DENIED as a legal gun owner/law abiding citizen is another story.

Last Edited:

agree, if you look at the anti's strategy, it attacks every mode of acquiring a gun. Credit card company restrictions, background check delays, YouTube restrictions, shipping restrictions, shutting down ffls for minor infractions at the fed level, WA trying to call ffls a nuisance and giving Carey blanch power to shut them down, limiting whatever gun category they can (Fe "assault weapons" then moving on to the next category after that one is successful), banning mags, creating gun registries, permit systems, restricting carry such as in New Mexico, trying to discredit pro-2A judges like Clarence Thomas, creating bogus "emergency" clauses in various laws, knowingly passing unconstitutional laws, etc. They are trying to erase guns from the culture. It reminds me a lot of the all out war against cigarettes not that long ago (in terms of methods I mean).

If the antis focused that same amount of effort on stopping criminal behavior and mental health they could actually do something about violence, rather than simply hurting lawful gun owners who are helping to keep the criminal violence in check.

Some of the court cases are very encouraging however. Fe the recent Maryland case which said a 30 day delay infringes a persons right to self defense.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top