JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't have a problem with any that I have shot. Multiple different Glock models and generations. Multiple different Ruger models, Berettas, older S&W semi, new M&P, don't like the feel of shields so never bothered trying to shoot them, Canik, Steyr, and some others I don't know what they were.

As far as j-frame or micro pistols... I don't have them to shoot competitions at 25 yards or whatever... what my purpose of them is for 7 yards or less... now I know people will say it is a 21 foot rule for a reason... my response is yeah and? If you think that you will always get 21+ feet away you're lying to yourself. You think that you won't be scuffling around with someone. Once again lying to yourself. Especially if they know that you have a firearm. I rather have a j-frame in my coat pocket that I can shoot from the pocket or draw quickly to put rounds through their spine from their gut. Also why I carry a knife or two. Reason for it?... keeps hands off you when they start getting cut.

now I know people will say it is a 21 foot rule for a reason... my response is yeah and? If you think that you will always get 21+ feet away you're lying to yourself.

What are people saying about 21'?

I train for encounters at pistol distances... anything from right next to my belly to about 30yds. I know some claim to shoot their .45ACP and score hits at 50yds, but tactical logic would dictate that after 25-30yds one should be seeking cover to take stock of the situation or should be moving/getting away.

IMO most shootings do happen in 7yds or less, agree with you there. And I will also agree that people don't train enough for up close encounters. There are some good vids on navel to navel (distance) defense with pistol.

Yep. But it's still larger and heavier than the others I mentioned. That said, I would tend to agree with you about the trigger. I'm wondering if the grip is still a challenge tho?

It is on the draw from a belt holster with the flush mag. Occasionally i need to pocket carry but as much as I advocate its pocket capabilities.... I actually hate pocket carry with any gun so I use the 7rd extended grip from a belt holster (still super concealable esp. for summer carry) and the 7rd grip extension is nicer and managable on the draw.
Its still a small gun and will never be as fun to shoot as a larger gun, but its managable for me.

I havent tried the guns you mentioned but I can see the advantage for their smaller size and lighter weight a benifit even with a DAO trigger... If I was gonna pocket carry daily those might be a more comfortable option.

Re: the 21ft rule is more about the draw than shooting that far...

Still, should train at various distances regardless.

I do pretty well with a pistol. Tighter groups than most club members. Shield 9mm
I shoot extremely well for a small gun. Exception is a Walther PPK. That little POS
hurts my hand and I shoot terrible with it. Also Ruger Standard frame size Blackhawk
revolvers do not fit my hand raps my knuckle on the trigger guard.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
I shoot ARs and M1s well in competition. I hate shooting my O3A3 offhand. The straight
stock wacks me in the face shooting offhand. But my "C" stock O3 I can shoot
no problem.

I had a Sig P320 9mm compact when they first came out. No argument over reliability and quality but I just couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. I am in a similar situation with an FNS 40. I spent some time the other day with the FNS and after a few boxes of ammo got down to a respectable level of accuracy but I can just break out the CZ P01 and can nearly rip a big a$$ hole in the center of the target.

I realize I shoot metal DA/SA pistols better but I do have other strikers I shoot OK. Walther PPQ for one. What do you do with nice guns you don't shot well with now but might figure out later? hang on or sell? Either way, I doubt I would sell until election politics play out.

I tryed to switch to polymer pistol for the weight loss .I don't shoot most polymer guns well .the glock did not work well in my paw.a Browning hi power or old revolvers and the older fixed barrel European semi autos I do fine. I will probably sell my modern firearms and stick to what I know.

Back in 1986 I bought a Glock 17 (SN AY442) in spite of the reviewers' hesitation to endorse a 'plastic' gun. It was 100% reliable but I could never shoot it well. My 20 yard groupings looked more like a shotgun blast of 00 buck. I just accepted that I sucked at handgun shooting.

Then the Air Force gave us M9 pistols and I found I could shoot that gun much better, although still not great.

In 2004 I sold off the generation 1 Glock 17, which had become collectable by this time, and put the cash towards a Sig P239. Wow, what a difference! I could shoot groups where the holes actually touched sometimes!

I've had to keep practicing to remain decent with every handgun I've ever owned or my wife has owned.... Except my 1911, I've been tearing the center out of the target since I first laid hands on it. My wife hates my 1911, but recently she said she likes it because she can at least hit things with it, she just doesn't like the recoil. So I usually practice with my other pistols and then when I need a confidence booster break out my STI.

Anything XD. I've tried XD, XDs, XD-M. Can't get any of them to feel right, even ones that have been through custom shops.

Agreed, or at least once I shot it I quickly lost any interest. Both were 45. One had been sent back for the recall. Both had crappy triggers. I'd say what I really think but all you would see is bubblegum. Too bad, cuz I really wanted to like that one.
S&W Bodyguard 380. With a trigger pull that made my Kahr seem short... I shot the Kahr well, but wasn't too keen on that very long trigger pull.
Bought a Shield 40 instead. Incredibly accurate and easy for me to shoot it that way. Best little gun ever.
Single action revolvers. Who doesn't think cowboy guns are cool? I love them. Carried a Three Screw Ruger 41 for a long time, and even though it was an accurate gun, I had to work very hard to shoot it well.
I grew up shooting a Ruger 22 with a steep grip angle, but the Glock can give me fits. Some days I'm good. Others not.
Then there's that straight gripped shotgun... IF I concentrate, I can break clays, but I really have to be on my game.

I had a Sig P229 that I shot consistently low, I had to adjust my point of aim about 6in to hit center.

Not sure if it was me or the pistol, but I sold it and went back to a glock and haven't look back.

This is the only one that comes to mind....

E122FADB-2D9B-451A-8018-01902B73029A.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR