JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have both FNS 9 and 40. I was not shooting them very well and realized I need to put the end of my finger on the trigger and just press. And like many people if you don't shoot your gun well you don't have a good relationship with it. Now I believe this to be a good technique for many semi auto pistols.

I have both FNS 9 and 40. I was not shooting them very well and realized I need to put the end of my finger on the trigger and just press. And like many people if you don't shoot your gun well you don't have a good relationship with it. Now I believe this to be a good technique for many semi auto pistols.

I am not a big fan of those split triggers. I know my technique must be bad but it works well for most guns. It's currently my only pistol with this trigger. I'll give it a try.

There are lots of handguns I don't shoot well enough to want to own or carry. (By which I mean I can't at least keep everything on a paper plate at 25 yards offhand.) Anything that is too small to fit my hand, including all j frame smiths. Anything that weighs less than about 30oz, including the Glock 23 I had for a while. Anything with no sights or tiny sights or narrow slits on back sights so in sight picture there is no air space between sides of back sight and front sight. Anything with heavy irregular trigger pulls, including the Charter Pathfinder .22. Anything that has fallen into pieces in my hands while shooting it, which I dont really ever forgive or forget, such as the Carter Arms Bulldog I had.

I need full size handguns with full size sights. And a light crisp trigger. It isn't the barrel length that matters. Snubby revolvers are fine as long as the frame and sights are full size. Full size semiautos also are fine as long as they weigh at or above 30 oz and have full size sights and good triggers.

I have a bit of tremor in my arms. With heavier guns, their weigh stabilizes the gun enough to cancel my shakiness.

Even with glasses, my eyes have never been great. I simply can't see sights unless they are big and there is daylight between the sides of back sight and front sight in the sight picture. This matters much more than sight radius for me. And it matters even more with older eyes. With my current edc, a 686 snubby, I filed the back sight to 50 percent wider to get enough daylight showing around the front sight in my sight picture. (Then I blackened the filed surfaces with a magic marker.)

If anyone is now having trouble seeing sights because of older eyes, you might try going with bigger sights and widening the notch in the back sight to give clear strips of daylight on both sides of the front sight in the sight picture. It doesn't allow you to get the fine discrimination you can with finer sights and great eyes. But it may give you good enough accuracy so you don't need to go to an optic.

Last Edited:
Anything XD. I've tried XD, XDs, XD-M. Can't get any of them to feel right, even ones that have been through custom shops.
I guess it's like anything else, if you took all my other toys away and said that's all I could shoot, I'd likely get used to it. But thankfully, it's never come to that...

I shoot excellent one shot groups ....:D

As much as I like Winchester model 94 Carbines...the stock just doesn't fit me very well , so they get uncomfortable to shoot...the 94 Rifles are good , but Carbines , not so much.
Andy

Handguns: Probably the AMT Backup .380. I could not hit anything with that piece of stainless steel junk. Probably because the gun did not function. The closer I got to the target the worserer it got. With the barrel touching the paper I still missed. Is this possible?

Rifle: Armalite AR7 take down .22rf. Another piece of junk only in pot metal. The barrel nut wore out immediately and never tightened. The barrel wobbled. The sights sucked. The gun would not work. Actually dumped it at sea with a small ceremony.

Certaindeaf: Totally agreed totally. I am a lousy pistol shot. So so rifle shot. Sosss .... because I can not hit the barn door with me inside the barn we just chucked the handgun ideal all together for the SHTF and went directly to only the light rifle. USGI M1 Carbine. Sometimes the USGI M2 Carbine. Oh so fast.

I said the naughty M2 word sossss .... All Oregon State Laws, US Code Laws, All NFA Laws And All BATFE Rules And Regulations Apply. Your gun laws may vary greatly. Stay safe. Stay legal. That is all.

I don't shoot traditional DA and especially DAO pistols well.

I can get good with them technically, but decided years ago that it wasn't worth the extra time and ammo to stay up to speed. Single Action all the way for me now.

No mouse guns

Nobody shoots those "well". That's why we call them "ear guns"... you stick them in the fellow's ear and pull the trigger.

Kinda hard too CC a rifle legally

Said I didn't need a pistol, never said I didn't know how to shoot one.

not so well with AR's

Mmmmm, most 16" ARs are not very accurate, especially with surplus ammo. 3" at 100yds. But there are lots of things that help, too many to list individually. IMO a good trigger would help the most. Standard milspec trigger is beyond sucky!!! One of my ARs shoots dime sized 5shot groups at 100yds with handloads. The other is a 10.5" pistol with a KAK brace. Both have upgraded triggers.

I shoot everything reasonably well. At least I did before I started to lose my eyesight. That said, I never liked SA/DA, M&P Shield, Bersa Thunder, Win 94 Carbines, Savage 99 carbine. Wait, I never shot double barrelled (edit: SxS) shotguns very well.

:D

Last Edited:
Nobody shoots those "well". That's why we call them "ear guns"... you stick them in the fellow's ear and pull the trigger.

I shoot a Sig 938 really well actually, not bad for a mouse gun it shoots as well as any compact carry but I think it has to do with the fact they are single action only.

Ha, I can't shoot any thing that uses gun powder, I just pretend I can shoot well and run around yellin Pew Pew Pew:D:p

Actually, I cannot shoot strait stocked long guns very well, but with a swept grip or pistol grip, I cannot miss! Pistols used to be my weakness, I couldn't shoot my way out of a paper sack, took years to learn well enough to do better then just qualifying at the minimum! Now i'm mostly competent, especially with any of my 1911's, those make me look damn good!

I don't do well with, "Lever Guns". :(
I was Red Ryder trained from an early age and even though I can hit what I'm aiming at, after the shot, I unconsciously
take the rifle out of my shoulder to work the lever.:eek:
Just like a B-B gun.:rolleyes:
Says a lot for, "Muscle Memory" :confused:

Last Edited:
Springfield XD's
I am an embarrassment with them. Springfield should pay me not to touch them lest I scare other shooters away from the XD.
I bought an XD 45 back in 2006 when they were new and hot. Went to the range and sprayed bullets everywhere.
I asked a range officer to try it and tell me what was wrong. He shoots a nice, tight group. so I asked a young buck in the next lane if he'd like to try it out. Again a nice group. I load up and start shooting and again I'm all over the target
Sold it the next day.
There was just no love connection there

I shoot a Sig 938 really well actually, not bad for a mouse gun it shoots as well as any compact carry but I think it has to do with the fact they are single action only.

Meh. That's an almost a mouse gun. At 16oz and 9mm it's heavier and bigger than say the Taurus 738 .380 at 10oz or the Ruger LCP .380 at 9.85oz. And oh yeah, the SA... that's cheating. :p:)

Meh. That's an almost a mouse gun. At 16oz and 9mm it's heavier and bigger than say the Taurus 738 .380 at 10oz or the Ruger LCP .380 at 9.85oz. And oh yeah, the SA... that's cheating. :p:)
My friend has their 380 version, I can shoot as well with that too.

admit the 380 fits slightly better in the pocket, but still think its the fact they are SAO that makes the difference. I just cant imagine shooting a small pocket gun accurately with a DAO trigger pull.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews