JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I did monkey with springs copying the Johnny Glock formula :

Wolff reduced power safety plunger spring (helps a tiny bit)
Wolff 4.5# (OEM is 5.5#) striker spring (helps a bunch and ignites CCI primers)
Trigger spring is left OEM at 5#
Also OEM "-" Minus Connector (helps a bunch)

What happens is Bubba does a 6# trigger spring and a 4# striker spring
Reset can become an issue with this set up

Thx for the info!!! I had read (somewhere) about how to do a proper spring upgrade but I have long since forgotten. I bought a Wolfe striker spring kit for my G34 but haven't used it yet.

The following is 100% completely true. Kinda. The accuracy brag is true. The names of the guilty have been changed to protect the also guilty. Way back in about 1988 I built a speculation gun for sale. An AR15 XM177E2 look-a-like. Only difference was the longer than OEM flash hider. A 11.5" skinny 1x12 barrel. Permanent drilled pinned and welded on flash hider for a 16.1" overall length BBL.

Nice. Aluminum CAR butt stock. Flat aluminum slip ring. All the guts were Colt made SP-1 for legality at that time. $Spendy$. With Winchester White Box XM193 55 grain FMJ BT ammo, (nothing exceptional) the little carbine shot inside 1/2 Inch at 100 yards. Three, (3) shot group. Most likely just a fluke. I did hand lap the crown deep inside that long flash hider. Nothing else done. Yep ... a fluke.

Old family Leopold 3x9x40 scope still in use today. The old fashioned top carrying handle mounted scope mount. I immediately set that CAR 15 SA aside for my own fun and games. Later sold it to a close family member. I wonder if my cousin still owns that CAR? Dunno. Some non accurate rifles can be accurate. I did stop the 100 yard bench rest at 3 shots. Did not want to press my luck. :)

The accuracy and build statement is true. That is all.

Edited extra by HB. The barrel indexing took hours if memory serves. Off and on. That pesky horrible OEM rear sight aperture was exactly dead centered inside the carry handle groove with the gun shooting exactly even right to left at one hundred yards using OEM iron sights.

Last Edited:
I had a Sig P320 9mm compact when they first came out. No argument over reliability and quality but I just couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. I am in a similar situation with an FNS 40. I spent some time the other day with the FNS and after a few boxes of ammo got down to a respectable level of accuracy but I can just break out the CZ P01 and can nearly rip a big bubblegum in the center of the target.

I realize I shoot metal DA/SA pistols better but I do have other strikers I shoot OK. Walther PPQ for one. What do you do with nice guns you don't shot well with now but might figure out later? hang on or sell? Either way, I doubt I would sell until election politics play out.

It's the triggers. A crap trigger (milspec) needs lots of training to master and follow up shots will be effected. I laser bore sight my pistols to 25 yards, and I either grease up the trigger components and polish the engagement surface or buy a reputable replacement. I will not put a match trigger in a polymer striker pistol, for safety reasons. My Gen I XD Tactical is a tac driver with the factory trigger. In some cases the factory sights are junk, I buy real Novak's.

I put thousands of rounds through a Hi Standard 9 shot revolver when I was a kid, 90% were shorts (cheaper) and SA for me was very accurate. For the past 20+ years my G22 has been my favorite. Trijicon night sights plus CT red. My GP100 3", Stainless with full underlug and 38 special ammo is ok, 357, different story, painful. I have a couple of 9s and 22 semi auto, but not worth talking about.

I had a Sig P320 9mm compact when they first came out. No argument over reliability and quality but I just couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. I am in a similar situation with an FNS 40. I spent some time the other day with the FNS and after a few boxes of ammo got down to a respectable level of accuracy but I can just break out the CZ P01 and can nearly rip a big bubblegum in the center of the target.

I realize I shoot metal DA/SA pistols better but I do have other strikers I shoot OK. Walther PPQ for one. What do you do with nice guns you don't shot well with now but might figure out later? hang on or sell? Either way, I doubt I would sell until election politics play out.
I also had an FNS 40 for a short time. The recoil impulse on that gun was so sharp that after shooting a couple of boxes of ammo my arm hurt so bad that I thought there was something seriously wrong with me. Turns out, I am just a lot more recoil sensitive than I thought. I got the gun for a good price but turned around and sold it for what I had into it. I would rather shoot my 45 or even my 500 S&W than that 40. I suppose that if you have some special fondness for the gun you could keep it, but if you sell it there would be an open slot in your safe for a different gun that you actually like to shoot and can hit something with. If I can't shoot one of my guns I pass them on to someone who can.

I have never warmed up to 9MM's except for my XDM 5.25" and my wife's Lionheart. She shoots her G-17 better than me, a lot better.
I have better luck with 40's or 1911 45's
I used to be okay with open sights on a rifle, but that is on the wane.

My shield. I always struggle to hit anything with it. On my 3rd set of sights for it and put one of the hogue grips on it to see if that helped. Nope. Still suck. My wife shoots it very well though. Likewise I shoot her SW 2.0 better than she does and I'd say she edges me out with my CZ pcr but we both do pretty well with that one. My fns9c is hit and miss with me but I think it's the big dot sights I have on them. I'm not a huge fan.

Best find a caliber and pistol that shoots easy for you. These days lot of places have ranges that rent guns. I could never shoot .40 worth a darn, but 1911's pretty good. Now with good 9's and .45's practice, and practice . Spad

the M107A1. I would rather lay behind it and have someone kick me in the balls every time I dryfired it than shoot it.
I went to all the schools, military and civilian on the system but you cant make a 3 moa rifle do much better than that. Even was a barrett depot level armorer for several years.

I have a coupla guns that I just don't like to shoot and they are hanger queens. Smith & Wesson chrome Model 29/44 mag custom grips, 8 3/8" barrel. Haven't shot it since 1979. Tried different grips and it just hurts my knuckle. The other one is a Winchester .458 African Super grade. The relief between the pistol grip and trigger guard is too short and cuts m middle finger bad when firing. I was over seas when I ordered it and received the rifle. The original specs where changed Winchester said because they where braking stocks at the pistol grip. I wanted this rifle because it had the short 22" barrel. Finally bought a Ruger 24" barrel model RSC-77 with good relief and it has been great. Never got to go to Africa because of a major illness. Spad:cool::)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top