JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We never all started by knowing everything.

you might be surprised at the number of knowledgeable gun folks who don't know how shotguns get measured in gauge or how that was determined and have no idea as to the historical significance of this old measurement.

We never all started by knowing everything.

you might be surprised at the number of knowledgeable gun folks who don't know how shotguns get measured in gauge or how that was determined and have no idea as to the historical significance of this old measurement.
Or how the Electoral College works...:s0093::D

True!
Similarly, I only recently learned how "bore" is measured in big game rifles, as in 2-bore, 4-bore, etc.
And I only learned that by reading John Ross's Unintended Consequences.

Last Edited:
I remember the first couple visits to my LGS in the early years. This one shop left the magazine in for all of there guns and I kept hitting the mag release and letting the mags drop onto the display case. Happened to everything, rifle, shotgun and handguns and the sales guy kept yelling "Welp, looks like you found the mag release...again!!!" Then it grew into an inside joke everytime I went there.

Everybody HUSH!!!

Cannot talk about noobs here, all the noobs might get offended....

Anybody tempted to be offended by members relating funny stories would do well to remember that today is Veteran's Day.

yep. We were all "noobs" once. I think some people forget that.
I agree however there is a difference in those who 'grew up' around guns, shot frequently, were educated by parents or grandparents, started out small (.22) and moved up with age and size and learned the basics and gained knowledge as time moved on - as opposed to people who are buying a gun out of duress and fear, thinking it is their 'Thor's hammer', wanting it quickly and as seamlessly as possible.

Based on a lot of what I am reading and hearing many of these people are buying guns thinking they will give them a sense of power and security and have no interest in anything further, and I suspect there is a lot of adult 'arrogance' that is possibly blocking many new owners from even CONSIDERING getting even any basic training.

Buying anything on the impulse of fear (especially guns) is a bassackwards way of going about it. How many times have I read 'It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it' ? In this case its twofold - while they might have it but it's too little too late.

Last Edited:
I agree however there is a difference in those who 'grew up' around guns, shot frequently, were educated by parents or grandparents, started out small (.22) and moved up with age and size and learned the basics and gained knowledge as time moved on - as opposed to people who are buying a gun out of duress and fear, thinking it is their 'Thor's hammer', wanting it quickly and as seamlessly as possible.

Based on a lot of what I am reading and hearing many of these people are buying guns thinking they will give them a sense of power and security and have no interest in anything further, and I suspect there is a lot of adult 'arrogance' that is possibly blocking many new owners from even CONSIDERING getting even any basic training.

Buying anything on the impulse of fear (especially guns) is a bassackwards way of going about it. How many times have I read 'It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it' ? In this case its twofold - while they might have it but it's too little too late.

Agreed.

We were all new once.
Why I remember back when I got into black powder firearms and wanted to know more , so I asked my friend Jim Bridger....:eek: :D

For those that ask...
I will gladly share what knowledge I have.
For those who "know better than me" , I usually let them find out differently.
With that said , its never to late to learn something new.
Andy
How old is Andy, actually!
o_O

I think it's an honest mistake, and a hard lesson that should be learned. Hopefully such a mistake puts people on a spot where they try to learn more about their firearms.

I honestly get sick of gun store employees
that act like they're doing me a favor by being open.

It might just be that they were POed because they had to work. While a large segment of the population got paid an extra $600 a week from the Fed Govt for NOT WORKING. :s0092:

Rrrrright.....the unemployed could take "sort of" a mini vacation during that time.

Aloha, Mark

We all started out as Noobs at one time, my self included! Now, growing up around firearms and learning to shoot, I became more interested in firearms NOT in Dad or GrandDads collections, so I would visit gun shops to learn, and thankfully many of them were more then happy to help me on the path of discovery, and even help me choose my next firearm to go out and explore! Not as many of those types of gun shops around these days, with the big chains and the anti attitudes, there seem to be fewer and fewer of those Mom and Pop local shops left, and those tend to be quite busy ( Keith's/N.W. Armory) and I miss the days when I could spend a couple hours B.S'ing about the merits of a Winchester lever vs a Marlin, or trying to sweet talk a deal on a Mauser 98 Sporter in one of those European Calibers I was always reading about! I miss those Shops that seemed to have everything you would need right there, not having to special order anything in, and even had a decent selection of ammo to feed what you had, and the prices were reasonable! It seems this world has gotten it's self into a big damn hurry and forgotten how to be Human and haw to treat each other! Having been on the other side of the gun counter, I always tried to be as honest and forthright as I could, and I always told folks if I didn't know something, or didn't have an answer to their questions, but I would surely look it up for them and try to find out, then we would both know! When dealing with Noobs, I always tried to offer the best advice I could and let them make up their own mind! Nothing worse then someone telling a noob ether the wrong info, or injecting personal opinions that don't offer any honest help! I found if I asked my self, Self, what would you do if you were in their shoes, and that usually provided the correct answer!

My gun buying advice to new folks today should be to find, and buy, a goodly amount of ammo, then go find a gun to use it in as the other way around may be disappointing if not impossible..

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top