JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Its been this way since I started going to gun stores as a kid.

Seems to be a function/factor of where you live.

Where I live, there are 3 LGS I can visit w/o leaving town. Two of them are Mom & Pop type stores, with old guys hanging around drinking coffee and making fun of noobs. The other one is at ACE Hardware and is a pretty sterile enviro. But all are friendly in a small town way.

You live in Uranus.... you might wanna adjust your expectations or modify your schitty outlook. :p;):D

Oh, you mean just like in California?
Compared to the U.K, California is incredibly open and free. California dreams of someday having England's gun control.

If you want to really know what "reasonable restrictions' are if a certain political party has their way, England is the ultimate goal. California is child's play.

Noobs are more fun and way better for the industry than the old guys who just hang out. Noobs get hooked, will continue to buy things and bring in revenue, boomers just ask for paper catalogs and will be dead soon.

Noobs are more fun and way better for the industry than the old guys who just hang out. Noobs get hooked, will continue to buy things and bring in revenue, boomers just ask for paper catalogs and will be dead soon.
I'm a Boomer. I figure I have at least another 20 years in me.
Given the age of my parents (Mum died 5 years ago at 92, Dad will turn 91 this winter, and can still handily kick my azz), I may have 30 years left in me.
Is 20 years considered "soon" now...??? o_O

Having read this thread and a lot of the replies reminded me of my days working at a gun store , but more importantly it also reminded me of how quickly I changed my mind about working gun stores went from being my idea of a dream job to absolute loathing going to work about 12 months later.

The experience left me with disdain for people who were coming in to buy a firearm for the first time . A prejudice I still harbor to this day :(. I witnessed people who simply from a position of abject ignorance did and said the most moronic things. My employer at the time a fantastic man to work for who treated his employees like gold, but he had one rule that was not up for debate. Whatever the customer wants or says is right. Ultimately in the end I could not embrace that philosophy and left his employ of my own volition , and ended up with more lucrative employment.

It is still my observation that not only is the customer wrong more than right when gun shopping there are people who would probably not be allowed to a gun at all were there some litmus applied ..

Keep in mind I am not AT all any form of required training in any way , those were just my observations from a few years employment as a clerk at a gun store.

The reason I say this I totally understand why the store help felt encumbered to place a note on the ammo shelf... Much easier to do that than it is to deal with idiots wanting to make returns cause well they're idiots and did not try in any way to educate themselves about their purchases .

Having read this thread and a lot of the replies reminded me of my days working at a gun store , but more importantly it also reminded me of how quickly I changed my mind about working gun stores went from being my idea of a dream job to absolute loathing going to work about 12 months later.

The experience left me with disdain for people who were coming in to buy a firearm for the first time . A prejudice I still harbor to this day :(. I witnessed people who simply from a position of abject ignorance did and said the most moronic things. My employer at the time a fantastic man to work for who treated his employees like gold, but he had one rule that was not up for debate. Whatever the customer wants or says is right. Ultimately in the end I could not embrace that philosophy and left his employ of my own volition , and ended up with more lucrative employment.

It is still my observation that not only is the customer wrong more than right when gun shopping there are people who would probably not be allowed to a gun at all were there some litmus applied ..

Keep in mind I am not AT all any form of required training in any way , those were just my observations from a few years employment as a clerk at a gun store.

The reason I say this I totally understand why the store help felt encumbered to place a note on the ammo shelf... Much easier to do that than it is to deal with idiots wanting to make returns cause well they're idiots and did not try in any way to educate themselves about their purchases .

I would never personally be able to work in any sort of customer service industry, so my hat is off to the patient people who deal with customers daily.

my lady tells me about customers she has to deal with and I can only image what it would be like at a gun store

True story - happened just today.

I am at the local retailer to buy 9MM if they have it on hand. They got a shipment of ammo Wednesday, late afternoon. I bought some 9 yesterday, and happened to be running an errand this morning so I thought I would swing by to see what they still had.

They were already sold out of 9MM. That is 2 cases sold out in less than 3 business hours.

Gentlemen, older and not a regular, is picking up two boxes of 9 that he had a clerk stash for him yesterday. That means he is getting his 2nd hundred in two days!

Then he asks the clerk behind the counter if the clerk thinks the spike in sales is because of all those 'guys in the militia'.

I couldn't help it. I popped off with, "No. The real militia guys were well stocked long before this mess hit.".

What I REALLY wanted to say was, "No Sir. It is fools like you that are hoarding without purpose or intent that are creating this mess.".

Those rounds will never see a range or a DGU. They will simply collect dust in a sock drawer.

Last Edited:
Compared to the U.K, California is incredibly open and free. California dreams of someday having England's gun control.

If you want to really know what "reasonable restrictions' are if a certain political party has their way, England is the ultimate goal. California is child's play.

Make that 'UK's gun control'. England is just one of the four parts of the United Kingdom.

True story - happened just today.

I am at the local retailer to buy 9MM if they have it on hand. They got a shipment of ammo Wednesday, late afternoon. I bought some 9 yesterday, and happened to be running an errand this morning so I thought I would swing by to see what they still had.

They were already sold out of 9MM. That is 2 cases sold out in less than 3 business hours.

Gentlemen, older and not a regular, is picking up two boxes of 9 that he had a clerk stash for him yesterday. That means he is getting his 2nd hundred in two days!

Then he asks the clerk behind the counter if the clerk thinks the spike in sales is because of all those 'guys in the militia'.

I couldn't help it. I popped off with, "No. The real militia guys were well stocked long before this mess hit.".

What I REALLY wanted to say was, "No Sir. It is fools like you that are hoarding without purpose or intent that are creating this mess.".

Those rounds will never see a range or a DGU. They will simply collect dust in a sock drawer.

There might be some validity to your point of view , but I would profer two different things.

Your need isn't any greater than his . We are all at fault here because we are going out and buying or looking to buy because of our uncertain times. Humans are very much herd like in this mentality, I would wager just about everyone here has a supply and is still looking to buy regardless of our need.

As far as whether or not the old guy was buying it to stash for hard times or he wanted to go to the range today... It is always better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

My current ammo purchase strategy is opportunity purchase . I am not going to go out like many do and actively go store to store trying to find it on the shelves but should I happen upon it , I will purchase it and it will probably go in my sock drawer. primers are scarce so reloading what you have is depletion of a scarce commodity someone may not be able to easily resupply.

I was a noob once, I was eight years old. Adult noobs scare me, after all the news, the politicians, movies and television, they have a lot to unlearn.
Got into a heated discussion with my niece, a 32year old lawyer ATTORNEY, last time I was in California. She just doesn't understand why I need a machine gun! We should all have muskets, that's all we had when the constitution was written. I pointed out that we still had slaves and women couldn't vote either, maybe we should unwind that ball of string. It just went downhill from there. I don't know how I escaped being a radical liberal, I was raised there too.
i don't own machine guns, just nice semi auto fun guns, but to her black guns are all machine guns.
I am going back down soon, going to try and work on her some more.
FIFY ;)

Did she perhaps got to Berkley for "ATTORN" School?

I has a 31 YO Niece who was always a sweetheart until she got brainwashed at that institution..
She now has disowned family members over this RESET movment.

Sad, very SAD...

Gee, thanks.

I am not 'at fault'. I am an avid shooter. Gotta buy 'em if I'm gonna shoot 'em.

I did not say my need was any greater than his, and I have no idea why you would ascribe that position to me.

Cheers

I am not trying to be insulting .. You said

One can easily imply by your statement that you are an avid shooter and the above in red your belief he is probably just a hoarder..

Hence you have a need he doesn't ... I think we all have those same feelings , including the old gent you ascribe as being a fool.

:rolleyes:

Last Edited:
Make that 'UK's gun control'. England is just one of the four parts of the United Kingdom.
My apologies. I wasn't thinking when I typed that. As you know, many of us on this side of the water grew up referring to the UK as just "England", which as you point out is quite incorrect. It's a generalization much like (only opposite) how people refer to the U.S. as "America", when America consists of many countries, of which the U.S. is only one. :)

I want to thank you for repeatedly describing the level of restrictions that you all deal with over there. It's fascinating in that an average person there can do it and continue to enjoy marksmanship, but at the same time it's a level of absolute authoritarian control that should be a clear and present warning to us in the U.S..

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top