JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Most prices are STUPID. I purchased a used 686+ on a gunbroker bid.
The only decent price on anything I have been looking for.

Pawn shops around here are the worst too.

Something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Free market, I am ok with that. I've seen really nice deals at local shops as well (Portland/Milwaukee area): Daniel Defense DDM4V7 mbus pro sights and geissele SSA trigger for a bit over $1600....took it home.

Obligatory disclaimer: This is NOT about the Classifieds section where we all know it's policy to move on if you don't like the price of something, but about gun shops or sellers at gun shows.

The other day I went into a shop and saw a (badly) sporterized Mosin. It was an import, and had maybe 15% finish left (and that might be a generous estimate), although not drilled and the barrel wasn't cut. Asked to look at it thinking it may be a worthwhile project… they had it priced at $700. The guy made a half-hearted effort to justify the cost with the line, "these used to be cheap but not anymore." possibly picking up on my dismay at seeing the price tag.

I didn't say anything and walked away. Afterwards I wondered if it would've been productive to say something. I'm sure it'd been there for years and probably will be, as well. It's clear he knew the price was absurd, but maybe he didn't realize everyone else knows it, too. I thought maybe telling him the price was stupid might've encouraged him to bring it down to a more reasonable level but just as likely not.

It's not the first time I've been in a similar scenario. I guess my question is, when you come across an absurdly overpriced item at a gun shop/show, do you bother saying anything?
When I see something I'm familiar enough with to recognize as way overpriced I don't say a word. I just walk past, figuring that if they have way overpriced the thing I know the value of, they have probably overpriced the other stuff I'm less familiar with too. Let the obviously overpriced thing stay overpriced and serve as a warning to customers..

he just smiled and said the price is the price.
I have seen sellers, with the same guns, at the same (ridicules) prices at the same gun show for sometimes 2, 3 years in a row.

These aren't people who are interested in dealing, selling or trading. They sit there with smug looks on their neck bearded, mouth breathing faces and are just there in the hopes someone who is less than aware of the prices doesn't question something they have for sale and just buys it.

The 'gun dealer' world is made up of a varied cross - section of people. From those who are business attuned and keep track with the market and want to actively buy, sell and trade, to the types I described above who act like it is some 'fatalist', SHTF world and seem to think people are 'desperate' or something.

I think by not buying the gun you got your point across. Recently I looked at a rifle that I thought was a fair price but wanted to think about it first. I went back the next day only to see that 200 was added to the price tag. I walked out and haven't been back since.
Sometimes people aren't buying because they think the price is so low the thing must be broken. So to sell it you need to raise the price. This concept is especially obvious in yard sales, where many people may care more about just getting rid of stuff and freeing up space or not having to move it than they do about the money they get from it.

Obligatory disclaimer: This is NOT about the Classifieds section where we all know it's policy to move on if you don't like the price of something, but about gun shops or sellers at gun shows.

The other day I went into a shop and saw a (badly) sporterized Mosin. It was an import, and had maybe 15% finish left (and that might be a generous estimate), although not drilled and the barrel wasn't cut. Asked to look at it thinking it may be a worthwhile project… they had it priced at $700. The guy made a half-hearted effort to justify the cost with the line, "these used to be cheap but not anymore." possibly picking up on my dismay at seeing the price tag.

I didn't say anything and walked away. Afterwards I wondered if it would've been productive to say something. I'm sure it'd been there for years and probably will be, as well. It's clear he knew the price was absurd, but maybe he didn't realize everyone else knows it, too. I thought maybe telling him the price was stupid might've encouraged him to bring it down to a more reasonable level but just as likely not.

It's not the first time I've been in a similar scenario. I guess my question is, when you come across an absurdly overpriced item at a gun shop/show, do you bother saying anything?
A sucker may come along eventually and buy the overpriced firearms. If the shop has the financial wherewithal to wait for the suckers, great. If they don't then they will join the others who shut down. I have seen many more sellers vs buyers coming in lately. It is a buyer's market right now so spend your dollars wisely. You will have lots of opportunities.

If I feel something is is not a fair price, or the store is not offering anything of value for the premium price, I walk out.
If they are being arrogant Richards, I walk out.
If they are shady, I walk out.

Yes, many gun shops are over-priced. Very few have offered anything remotely approaching customer service or experience to be worth the premium. The few that do will get my repeat business. The rest can go out of business.

I have tried once before though: some gun show seller had a large margarine tub (hopefully cleaned) of 8mm Mauser ammo, 1950's Yugo production. Asked how much, he said he wanted $2/rd. I told him I could get new production for less than half that price, and it would be non-corrosive, reloadable, and virtually guaranteed to not have misfires or duds; he just smiled and said the price is the price.
Gun shows have morphed into tragicomedy these days. But in the not too distant past, there was a certain cut of table holders who weren't all that interested in selling. Because if they sold their stuff, they wouldn't have anything to do like go to the gun show and sit behind a table. I called the stuff that was priced not to sell, "display merchandise." Some of these characters had the same shop-worn stuff that they dragged from one show to the next. I know they are called gun "shows" but usually 98% of table holders are sellers, not displayers.

"That price seems kind of high," if that is the case. They might have an explanation as to why that price is justified,
Like, "It's got Hitler's fingerprint under the grip."

Yard/garage sales. Interesting how low prices are quibled to go lower. If you want it buy it! If the price is not to your satisfaction then just move on.
I used to help my kids conduct garage sales of their stuff that they'd outgrown or became disinterested in. We had people who would try to chisel a 50 cent item down to 25 cents.

When I see something I'm familiar enough with to recognize as way overpriced I don't say a word. I just walk past, figuring that if they have way overpriced the thing I know the value of, they have probably overpriced the other stuff I'm less familiar with too.
Good ethic to live by. I feel that way about news sources as well.

Not really calling out for a price...

Once I re-worked a older and neglected Uberti 1851 ...I cleaned it up...replaced a worn cylinder hand...smoothed the action...
Used an old dime for a taller front sight... artificially aged it...and.....took off the Italian proof marks and "Black Powder Only" BS.....

Played with for a bit...then sold it off.
A year later...I saw it for sale at a gun ...
Being sold as a real Colt '51 Navy.....:eek:

I told the seller what it was and what I did
to it...
He didn't believe me till I took the grip frame off...and showed him where I stamped my initials and date of the work..

Nothing makes someone so happy , like taking $1000 off the price of a gun...I bought it and then sold it to a friend who ain't planning on selling it .
Andy

Last Edited:
Most prices are STUPID. I purchased a used 686+ on a gunbroker bid.
The only decent price on anything I have been looking for.

Pawn shops around here are the worst too.
Bidding wars online don't really count. You watch something not move for 5 days, now some chump out bids you by 5 cents:(

I used to help my kids conduct garage sales of their stuff that they'd outgrown or became disinterested in. We had people who would try to chisel a 50 cent item down to 25 cents.
I remember a story about someone having a garage sale. An early bird little old lady is picking through some stuff on a table, holds up an item and asks, "Would you take fifty cents for this?"

The seller replies, "Actually ma'am, everything on that table is twenty-five cents each."

The early bird is taken aback and has to stop and think for a moment, "Well, in that case, would you take ten cents for it?"

Some people just have to get a bargain; they just HAVE to. :)

cheap.jpg

Bruce

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews