JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
SKS, Mosin and a few others were under 100.00 not all that long ago.
And remained there awhile.

I also am a long time computer techy dude. Going back to the 1970's . My mom used to work at Fairchild.
And if you work on the older computers like I do. They are going for crazy amounts on Evilbay.

Digress:
Sellers sell at prices, because people buy at them.
FOMO is just as active in Firearms and Computers as anything else.
If there is a want, they will reach for it. If a Need? They will demand the price.

Argus.
Speaking of vintage… my current home computer is a (Gen-4) i7-4790K processor (Gen-14 is the latest) that's cooled by an old Corsair AIO, mounted on an MSI Z97-GD65 gaming chipset (never gamed on it, LOL), 64GB of DDR3 ram (way overkill), and a MSI Nvidia GTX-760 video card…. I use it once a year to do my taxes….

Just had a look and I see that prices on eBay are stupid expensive for these components, and are actually MORE than what I paid back in the day…. LOL!

Speaking of vintage… my current home computer is a (Gen-4) i7-4790K processor (Gen-14 is the latest) that's cooled by an old Corsair AIO, mounted on an MSI Z97-GD65 gaming chipset (never gamed on it, LOL), 64GB of DDR3 ram (way overkill), and a MSI Nvidia GTX-760 video card…. I use it once a year to do my taxes….

Just had a look and I see that prices on eBay are stupid expensive for these components, and are actually MORE than what I paid back in the day…. LOL!
Sure, but a dollar was still worth at least 47 cents way back then!

Obligatory disclaimer: This is NOT about the Classifieds section where we all know it's policy to move on if you don't like the price of something, but about gun shops or sellers at gun shows.

The other day I went into a shop and saw a (badly) sporterized Mosin. It was an import, and had maybe 15% finish left (and that might be a generous estimate), although not drilled and the barrel wasn't cut. Asked to look at it thinking it may be a worthwhile project… they had it priced at $700. The guy made a half-hearted effort to justify the cost with the line, "these used to be cheap but not anymore." possibly picking up on my dismay at seeing the price tag.

I didn't say anything and walked away. Afterwards I wondered if it would've been productive to say something. I'm sure it'd been there for years and probably will be, as well. It's clear he knew the price was absurd, but maybe he didn't realize everyone else knows it, too. I thought maybe telling him the price was stupid might've encouraged him to bring it down to a more reasonable level but just as likely not.

It's not the first time I've been in a similar scenario. I guess my question is, when you come across an absurdly overpriced item at a gun shop/show, do you bother saying anything?
It`s called inflation, my current and last Mosin I bought at a pawn shop about 20 yrs ago was 89.00$$, I now see the mighty Mosin in some cases over 800 WTF...and sadley its only going to get worse unless we get the current potatoes in chief out of the oval office, and get back to sane energy policy and GTF out of the phony war with Russia.

A sucker may come along eventually and buy the overpriced firearms. If the shop has the financial wherewithal to wait for the suckers, great. If they don't then they will join the others who shut down. I have seen many more sellers vs buyers coming in lately. It is a buyer's market right now so spend your dollars wisely. You will have lots of opportunities.
The curious thing is the rest of their inventory wasn't quite as obscenely overpriced… for example lots of used guns going for new prices (which isn't good of course, but a far cry from a sporterized, imported Mosin in less-than-average condition going for more than 5x what any sensible person might be for it). I guess a sporterized Mosin is an odd choice for bait when trying to catch a sucker.

In the weeks after the Sandy Hook shooting, there was a new gun shop in Cascade Park in Vancouver, one of a chain based out of Seattle, that was selling a used Colt LE6920, bone stock, for $3,000. As I was telling them how wrong they were, a much larger guy came in off the street, and when he saw that he chewed them out. It was quite satisfying. Their only excuse was "it's market demand".

Well, it looks like the "market" spoke, because they closed up shop a few months later. It did, however, give me a clue as to how much my guns will be worth during a ban. Not that I'll be selling, mind you.

I have seen sellers, with the same guns, at the same (ridicules) prices at the same gun show for sometimes 2, 3 years in a row.

These aren't people who are interested in dealing, selling or trading. They sit there with smug looks on their neck bearded, mouth breathing faces and are just there in the hopes someone who is less than aware of the prices doesn't question something they have for sale and just buys it.

The 'gun dealer' world is made up of a varied cross - section of people. From those who are business attuned and keep track with the market and want to actively buy, sell and trade, to the types I described above who act like it is some 'fatalist', SHTF world and seem to think people are 'desperate' or something.
I have seen this too at many gun shows. I think they are just there to show off and BS about there overpriced
old Colt, Winchester or whatever. I think they have no intention of selling anything. They would have nothing
to do if they sold there guns.

I have so many Pcs and Monitors id have to check , my user PC is my I9 - 128Ram, 50tb in drives. Using a Gigabyte AORUS GC-4XM2G4 Gen4 AIC 4 x M.2 PCIe Way more then I ever use. I do play steam. But the setup was to run investment software. So its quick for my needs as well as video and photo software we do. Also has a Gotek Floppy Drive Emulator 435 MCU w/ Rotary Encoder OLED Display FlashFloppy.

My slowest PC is right now and my favorite is a E-3110 Gateway
Intel Pentium II processor 300 MHz
*3 RAM slots w/ 160 MB RAM
*1x AGP, 4x PCI, 2x ISA 8/16 expansion slots
*2x USB 1.1, 2x serial, 1x Parallel, PS/2 mouse and keyboard ports
*ATI 3D Rage Pro AGP 2x graphics card
*Creative Sound Blaster Live! Audio Card
*3Com 100/10 Mbps Network Adapter Card
*SanDisk 128GB SATA SSD
*SATA to IDE Adapter for SSD
*52x CD-ROM drive
*3.5" Floppy Disk Drive
Using and IDE to Sata adapter so it boots really fast. No mechanical moving parts other then the fans.
I used to have 8088.. 286, 386, 486 but prices to upkeep made it not with it.
Currently building and Armageddon- 98se PC using a thin client.

OH and Guns are cool .

Argus

I love deals, and do not mind paying a fair price though.
If gun shops are over paying they will eventually price themselves out of business.
Giving the Antis exactly what they want.

Guns shows, are for the most now. Like life stock shows.
With Cattle seldom any more is it about the best to market. It more about the elite judges and their name sakes.
Seems gun shows are not about Joe and Jill firearm owners anymore. Its been ten years since I bought at a gun show.
Just to silly of prices.
Argus

It`s called inflation, my current and last Mosin I bought at a pawn shop about 20 yrs ago was 89.00$$, I now see the mighty Mosin in some cases over 800 WTF...and sadley its only going to get worse unless we get the current potatoes in chief out of the oval office, and get back to sane energy policy and GTF out of the phony war with Russia.
Sure inflation is part of it but only suckers would actually be paying 800 even with today's economy. There's one in the Classifieds right now for 400 in original configuration with bayo.

It's pretty much the same as seeing the all too common horrible slob of a mother and wonder who the heck would actually stick their dick in that but there it is.

SKS, Mosin and a few others were under 100.00 not all that long ago.
And remained there awhile.

I also am a long time computer techy dude. Going back to the 1970's . My mom used to work at Fairchild.
And if you work on the older computers like I do. They are going for crazy amounts on Evilbay.

Digress:
Sellers sell at prices, because people buy at them.
FOMO is just as active in Firearms and Computers as anything else.
If there is a want, they will reach for it. If a Need? They will demand the price.

Argus.
I just priced an old 8 bit machine that I know is still in the house under a pile of other stuff I'll never use again. It's only here because I forgot it when I ran a bunch of stuff to the dump. Now it's worth almost $300 if I can find the monitor. :s0077:

Bidding wars online don't really count. You watch something not move for 5 days, now some chump out bids you by 5 cents:(
Or you bid on something at a great price, then someone stumbles in at the last 15 minutes and bids up the price, but is too cheap to beat your top price. So you still get it, but they made you pay $150 more …..

I'm not sure what you mean by this?
Just joking with you. Now that everyone knows, they'll offer you 5% less at the gun show. But, I'll still just drive down to your place and get mine without the discount, because - unlike the gun shows - there's no entrance fee to pay at your garage. :s0092:

Just joking with you. Now that everyone knows, they'll offer you 5% less at the gun show. But, I'll still just drive down to your place and get mine without the discount, because - unlike the gun shows - there's no entrance fee to pay at your garage. :s0092:
Ah, I thought I knocked a couple bucks off for you here, if not I'll make it right next time. Darned bean counters anyway, I'm just an ammo guy.:oops:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top