JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That " someone " is probably on the seller's team. My opinion.
Certainly could be, but it's a bit of a gamble. Since you don't know what the other person's max bid is, could end up inadvertently winning, and sure the transaction doesn't really have to take place but doesn't the seller now owe gunbroker its cut of the "sale" price? Course it could well be worth the risk depending on how often the scheme works vs fails.

Auctions are funny things. The other week I lost one that was open to bidding but also had a "buy it now" price. Bidding started at something like 600 and the BIN price was at 800. I got into a little bidding war with someone but I set my limit to 700 and not a penny more. It reached 700 and the other guy went with the nuclear option and "bought it now" for 800, not knowing $705 was all it would've taken to outbid me.

Certainly could be, but it's a bit of a gamble. Since you don't know what the other person's max bid is, could end up inadvertently winning, and sure the transaction doesn't really have to take place but doesn't the seller now owe gunbroker its cut of the "sale" price? Course it could well be worth the risk depending on how often the scheme works vs fails.

Auctions are funny things. The other week I lost one that was open to bidding but also had a "buy it now" price. Bidding started at something like 600 and the BIN price was at 800. I got into a little bidding war with someone but I set my limit to 700 and not a penny more. It reached 700 and the other guy went with the nuclear option and "bought it now" for 800, not knowing $705 was all it would've taken to outbid me.
And over the past few years on GB, seems like many of the buyers jumping in at the last hour and bidding up the price but still losing, have only a few, if any, GB reviews to their name.

Interesting to see so many firearms on GB still at "elevated" prices. I assume the sellers' basis in the firearm is higher than what it shold have been, and they don't want to just break even so they're holding out. Seems like they'd want to have a "buy now" option set at a "higher" price, just in case they can get a sucker who panic buys it, or had Jim Beem help him bid.

Of course with the latter you never know if they guy is going to try and back out the next day.

And over the past few years on GB, seems like many of the buyers jumping in at the last hour and bidding up the price but still losing, have only a few, if any, GB reviews to their name.

Interesting to see so many firearms on GB still at "elevated" prices. I assume the sellers' basis in the firearm is higher than what it shold have been, and they don't want to just break even so they're holding out. Seems like they'd want to have a "buy now" option set at a "higher" price, just in case they can get a sucker who panic buys it, or had Jim Beem help him bid.

Of course with the latter you never know if they guy is going to try and back out the next day.
I guess I don't sweat too much about gunbroker funny business. My strategy is to have a good idea of what something is worth, know what you're willing to pay (take info account transfer, shipping, CC fees), and if in the end you don't get it, better luck next time.

I recently bought a p365xl for $375 which was the buy it now price. Opening bid was like $300 or $350 and I almost bid on it to save a few bucks but buy it now price was actually pretty decent and didn't want to watch someone else snag it over a fifty note.

Now if I could find a ruger mark iv for such a good deal I'd be set.

Bidding wars online don't really count. You watch something not move for 5 days, now some chump out bids you by 5 cents:(
In gun broker auctions most of the bidding actually happens the last hour. There is no real incentive to place your bid earlier. My guess is you are more likely to have your bid topped if people have been looking at it for days, have several days for people to change their minds about their top offer and for new participants to come in at this price who never had dreams of getting it for much less.

I too tend to bid within the last half hour or less, if possible. The idea is that it gives anyone else less time to react to my bid. If I outbid someone and there's 5 days left to go, that's 5 days for them to realize they've been outbid and then try to outbid me. If I outbid them and there's 15 minutes to go, I figure the odds are greater that by the time they see the notification that they've been outbid, it's too late. Sometimes it works, and sometimes they watch the auction like a hawk during those critical last few minutes.

The best strategy for GunBroker is to figure out how much you're willing to spend, enter that amount, then let it ride. It does you no good to get in the last hour, or half, or whatever. Their 15 minute rule resets the clock if there's a bid in the last 15 minutes. There is no sniping like on Ebay.

It's simply not true that timing doesn't ever matter, though. Sure there will be auctions you will lose regardless of timing and those you'd win regardless of timing, but it doesn't mean you can't do a little to help your chances. I guess my perspective is skewed by being a collector (but the principle can apply more broadly). If one other person (or maybe more) is/are interested in the same listing, and they're not watching the auction like a hawk in that last 15 minutes, and you can because timing allows you to, your chances are pretty good for outbidding and avoiding a bidding war before they realize they've been outbid. If you outbid them with several days to spare it gives them more of an opportunity to come back around and outbid you. It's no guarantee because there are always unknowns, but there's no reason not to think it doesn't help your chances overall.

In gun broker auctions most of the bidding actually happens the last hour. There is no real incentive to place your bid earlier. My guess is you are more likely to have your bid topped if people have been looking at it for days, have several days for people to change their minds about their top offer and for new participants to come in at this price who never had dreams of getting it for much less.
I'd like to get a true idea. Especially when I was bidding at my old job if the auction ended midday. I didn't have easy access to a computer. The ol', my stomach is killing me. I have to run to the computer. I mean bathroom.

Don't be insulted or sore. If the price of anything is what you think is too high, just walk away. I did that to a fellow at the Battle Ground gunshow a couple months ago. He had primers, and I asked how much for a brick of Winchester SR. "$98.00, and that is what a guy was asking at the Albany show". I smiled and walked off. Unfortunately, there are folks that will pay those insanely high prices. Maybe not many, but the sellers know they are out there. Just a matter of time before they hook one.

Yet $5.00 for a small bag of chips half empty and half of that crumbs seems to be flying off the shelves. I think that beats a $700 f'd up moisin in my mind for irrational things that irritate.
I sorta miss the chips, but already been there, and done that with the moisin when they were $99.00 at sports authority so that its absurd inflation don't bother me.
1689303063978.png

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads