JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Obligatory disclaimer: This is NOT about the Classifieds section where we all know it's policy to move on if you don't like the price of something, but about gun shops or sellers at gun shows.

The other day I went into a shop and saw a (badly) sporterized Mosin. It was an import, and had maybe 15% finish left (and that might be a generous estimate), although not drilled and the barrel wasn't cut. Asked to look at it thinking it may be a worthwhile project… they had it priced at $700. The guy made a half-hearted effort to justify the cost with the line, "these used to be cheap but not anymore." possibly picking up on my dismay at seeing the price tag.

I didn't say anything and walked away. Afterwards I wondered if it would've been productive to say something. I'm sure it'd been there for years and probably will be, as well. It's clear he knew the price was absurd, but maybe he didn't realize everyone else knows it, too. I thought maybe telling him the price was stupid might've encouraged him to bring it down to a more reasonable level but just as likely not.

It's not the first time I've been in a similar scenario. I guess my question is, when you come across an absurdly overpriced item at a gun shop/show, do you bother saying anything?

I generally don't say anything about a firearm that is what I consider overpriced...
Since I don't know the whole story behind the why of the pricing....and it ain't my store.

That said...
I have been asked a few times about pricing at a couple of different firearm stores...
I have then , respectfully , given my thoughts about an item's price or merits.
Andy

SKS, Mosin and a few others were under 100.00 not all that long ago.
And remained there awhile.

I also am a long time computer techy dude. Going back to the 1970's . My mom used to work at Fairchild.
And if you work on the older computers like I do. They are going for crazy amounts on Evilbay.

Digress:
Sellers sell at prices, because people buy at them.
FOMO is just as active in Firearms and Computers as anything else.
If there is a want, they will reach for it. If a Need? They will demand the price.

Argus.

What is the point of retailers and gun shows? I got tired of feigning a cardiac event when viewing asking prices. Pawn shops - good ones if there are any - are the places where deals are found and made. But, it takes time and money to save money. Mostly, I stocked up in the 70s and 80s.
The market for everything (TP!) is crazy in times of uncertainty. Human nature and that will not change. There are virtually zero guns I desire at this point. At insulting prices, let those who cannot be insulted buy them.

I think by not buying the gun you got your point across. Recently I looked at a rifle that I thought was a fair price but wanted to think about it first. I went back the next day only to see that 200 was added to the price tag. I walked out and haven't been back since.

You can see current inventory (at least some of it) and current prices, but you can't see if others have sold for the same price. Keeping a varied stock on hand for the unicorn buyer who wants that random thing RIGHT now can be better than selling it for a more reasonable price.

but uhhh yeah I hear ya

There are enough newbs and panicked folks buying guns that I'd wager it'll sell before too long.
I'm not sure that's the case. I tried to unload an old milsurp or two during the civil unrest panic buying in 2020 and found they were extremely slow to move, even at very reasonable prices. Tried selling a Carcano on consignment at a couple of local shops at the time, but they didn't even make me an offer, told me no one was buying that sort of thing. Conversely, some of the best deals I ever got on milsurps as a buyer were during the same panic. Was wondering if panic buying got to a point where people just want any gun at all they could lay their hands on, but no.

I wouldn't normally comment re. an overpriced firearm offered for sale. IF I was interested in it at any level, price would certainly come under some discussion. But something so absurdly priced as a $700, altered Mosin Nagant would probably not engender much if any such conversation. It's not something I'd want at $70, and it isn't likely the seller would chop the price 90%.

told me no one was buying that sort of thing. C
My thinking is, that horde of first time buyers was into whatever they could read contemporary reviews about or things they heard about from "people at work." Not the sort of people who would have any interest in something older. As they would want a new Tesla, not a 1966 Ford Fairlane.

My sister lived in a city that went up in flames in the 1990's from riot and looting. She isn't a gun person, but for a couple of weeks was considering buying one. It got around to me by back channel that it was suggested that maybe she could get something from her brother (me). I was told her response was, "Oh, I'm not interested in some old blunderbuss." It was just as well; I lived 1,200 miles away. Plus, I was fresh out of blunderbusses, I only had racks of modern Winchesters and Smith & Wessons.

I don't see any point in "calling out" anyone for their prices, no matter how insane. Anyone who has spent the time, effort, and possibly money to set up a table at a show knows what they're selling and what the current market for them is. They've already made up their mind about what price tag to put on it based on some reasoning that makes sense in their heads, whether or not the rest of us agree with it. I don't think you'll change their mind about it on the spot.

I think it's reasonable to make a counter offer and explain why you think the price is fair, but anything else is a waste of your time.

Were you so offended by this individual's price that you felt the need to think about it on the drive home AND make an entire thread about it online? Seems so. Can't say any firearm's price has bothered me long enough to follow me out the door, let alone through the entrance of my own home... Just move on and say "have a good day, sir or madam"

I wouldn't normally comment re. an overpriced firearm offered for sale. IF I was interested in it at any level, price would certainly come under some discussion. But something so absurdly priced as a $700, altered Mosin Nagant would probably not engender much if any such conversation. It's not something I'd want at $70, and it isn't likely the seller would chop the price 90%.
This is probably the line of reasoning as to why I didn't bother, as well; it seemed doubtful the seller would drop the price down to what I thought would make sense anyways.

I have tried once before though: some gun show seller had a large margarine tub (hopefully cleaned) of 8mm Mauser ammo, 1950's Yugo production. Asked how much, he said he wanted $2/rd. I told him I could get new production for less than half that price, and it would be non-corrosive, reloadable, and virtually guaranteed to not have misfires or duds; he just smiled and said the price is the price.

Were you so offended by this individual's price that you felt the need to think about it on the drive home AND make an entire thread about it online? Seems so. Can't say any firearm's price has bothered me long enough to follow me out the door, let alone through the entrance of my own home... Just move on and say "have a good day, sir or madam"
My being offended is entirely in your imagination duderino, more mystified and curious as to why. If you saw 2001 Ford Focus at a car dealership missing it's rear tires and with 250,000 on the clock, and being sold for $38,000, you wouldn't wonder what's up with that? Wouldn't wonder if it would've been interesting to talk with the seller as to why they felt this was a reasonable price?

I tried to unload an old milsurp or two during the civil unrest panic buying in 2020 and found they were extremely slow to move, even at very reasonable prices. Tried selling a Carcano on consignment at a couple of local shops at the time, but they didn't even make me an offer, told me no one was buying that sort of thing.
I encountered a similar situation a few years back when disposing of my milsurp collection. Had a shop owner refuse to take a K-98 on consignment because "The military rifle market is dead." At the same time, people were paying $900 or more for basic ARs, if you could find one. As I recall it was during one of the Obama panics. The rifle eventually sold at another shop for the price I was looking for. Conversely, a couple years later I had another shop owner refuse to take an AK variant on consignment because there was "no demand for these." I had paid $299 for it. It sold at another shop a few years later in the 700s. So one year's outrageous price may be the next year's bargain price. One never knows.

That said, I don't see any problem with telling a seller, in a polite way, "That price seems kind of high," if that is the case. They might have an explanation as to why that price is justified, or it could be part of the negotiating process if one is truly interested in purchasing the firearm. But I wouldn't "call out" a seller on a high price just for the sake of it if I weren't interested in the firearm. In that case - just best to move on.

Yard/garage sales. Interesting how low prices are quibled to go lower. If you want it buy it! If the price is not to your satisfaction then just move on. Adam Smith's simple defination of capitalism was just a model. And like most models those who came later 'defined' it to their expectations! Smile and walk away - that's your power!

Obligatory disclaimer: This is NOT about the Classifieds section where we all know it's policy to move on if you don't like the price of something, but about gun shops or sellers at gun shows.

The other day I went into a shop and saw a (badly) sporterized Mosin. It was an import, and had maybe 15% finish left (and that might be a generous estimate), although not drilled and the barrel wasn't cut. Asked to look at it thinking it may be a worthwhile project… they had it priced at $700. The guy made a half-hearted effort to justify the cost with the line, "these used to be cheap but not anymore." possibly picking up on my dismay at seeing the price tag.

I didn't say anything and walked away. Afterwards I wondered if it would've been productive to say something. I'm sure it'd been there for years and probably will be, as well. It's clear he knew the price was absurd, but maybe he didn't realize everyone else knows it, too. I thought maybe telling him the price was stupid might've encouraged him to bring it down to a more reasonable level but just as likely not.

It's not the first time I've been in a similar scenario. I guess my question is, when you come across an absurdly overpriced item at a gun shop/show, do you bother saying anything?
I have a brother who knows little to nothing about firearms. I have got him elk hunting with me after I brought a couple to his place in Lapine to hang. Anyway, last season when I went to his house, he showed me a new Anderson AR that he had just paid $800 for. He bought it from a friend.! There are lots of suckers out there but one would think that someone wanting a Mosin would know something about them.

My being offended is entirely in your imagination duderino, more mystified and curious as to why. If you saw 2001 Ford Focus at a car dealership missing it's rear tires and with 250,000 on the clock, and being sold for $38,000, you wouldn't wonder what's up with that? Wouldn't wonder if it would've been interesting to talk with the seller as to why they felt this was a reasonable price?
I wouldn't make a post about it, that's for sure, broski :s0140:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top