JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When behind the gun counter I much preferred the "noob" who asked questions , to the customer who so desperately wanted to show , usually loudly , everyone around , that he "knew" more than me.
Andy
No kidding! I sure don't want to go to work just to argue with someone.
I work in a shop that works on old(er) cars. A couple of times a month I get called to the office to confer with a potential customer. A large percentage of time they just came in to talk, and argue. They ask a question then try to disprove the answer. I guess they want to impress me with what they "know".
I have much better things to do with my day.

Hey now....
What's wrong about everyone having a musket...? :D
'Course one should also be able to have whatever other firearms one wants or can afford....:D
Andy
Agree 100%. For me, my black powder arms are my favorite for just having a very relaxing day shooting. They're also my "go to" for those times when I feel myself slipping into "hurry up" mode and breaking shots sooner than I should. Nothing better for teaching yourself to slow down, mind your fundamentals and make every single shot count.

I am in the habit of visiting BiMart on Tuesdays. I check for Handloader, Rifle or Varmint magazine new issues and grab primers on the way through. Whether I need 'em or not (why I'm not worried about running out). Lately I am grabbing factory rifle ammo as that's all they have and ya can't have to much anyway.
This week I was at the counter waiting my turn for the allowed two boxes of .270 behind two 30 something women and a middle aged guy. I had to listen as the first asked for 9mm ammo and watched as all three were flabbergasted at the idea of it being unavailable. The fine BiMart employee (with a cool AR silhouette sticker on his face shield BTW) proceeded to explain the concept of a politically induced shortage and past occurrences there of. They seemed skeptical at best. "But Dutch Brothers NEVER run out of coffee" I imagined them thinking.
After bombarding the guy with questions about when shipments would arrive and where else they might find some food for their brand new guns (again just my assumption) they stood momentarily silent and thoroughly confused. I took the opportunity to step up and announce loudly that now was the time to re-evaluate how you've been voting and do a better job of it in the future. Got my two boxes and bounced to the sound of more silence and confusion.

Interesting thread, but this has been occurring for a very long time with many different items: skis, climbing gear, auto parts, cameras, computers and list goes on..... As has been pointed out, we were all there at some point unless we were gestated and born with encyclopedic knowledge! Now, tell me about the 'other' side and what you really know about it.

I love noobs, some are so cost oriented, while others are getting whatever they can. I like the ones who ask a lot of questions and retain it. There are some, that I am waiting to hear about NDs from.

Some this year
"What is the difference between a Revolver and a .357 magnum?"

Guy looks at select fire guns in a case, points to his buddy to come over. "See these, these are all full auto, they're all glocks, all full auto guns are glocks"
In the case was a vector copy of an MP5 and a Galil.....

Also, never noticed how peoples hands are so freaking sweaty. I gotten guns back where the whole thing is wet. So strange.

I was a Newbie once. (Late 90's when it came to buying my own firearms and not just using my late husband's HOUSE GUN for self defense issues.) ALL of us were at any age of our lives when it comes to firearms or any other subject matter in life.

I had a salesman TRY to tell me and sell me 45acp instead of 45Long Colt for my former NIB Ruger Blackhawk in 45Long Colt (Bought elsewhere back east.) in the late 90's to 2001 (Time frame?) in a BIG famous gun store that had just opened in the state of MI. (It was not my family owned (NOT my family.) gun store where I bought 15 or so guns in my former state.)

I have never owned a 45acp semi automatic pistol and my late husband did not own one but my MT husband did and still does own that firearm caliber.

Anyway, my late husband told the MAN that he should listen to my QUESTION again and pay attention since they were 2 different calibers for my single action revolver. LOL I did NOT own a Blackhawk Convertible in dual cylinders (45acp AND 45Long Colt). I owned a gun purchased for 45Long Colt exclusively, NIB and in the 'New Model' version since the NIB RF and NIB RF Ruger s/a revolvers were ONLY made in the NEW MODEL version when I started to buy all of my firearms (Late 90's and ON.) which were MAINLY in handguns at the time shy of 3 RF rifles back east.

When I bought a SWEET 38Special NIB S&W ON SALE - it could take 38Special and 38Special PLUS P.

My 357Magnum Revolvers in d/a (Smith and Wesson) and in s/a (Ruger) (ALL NIB too.) could use 357Magnum, 38Special PLUS P and my favorite 38Special too obviously.

MY main gun man explained this to me at my store but so did other people (HIGH up in the shooting world - famous men.) PLUS what I had studied/read as a NEWBIE. They said that many OLDER 38Special ONLY guns could not take or shoot PLUS P LOADS due to their frame, design, strength, etc. SAFELY.

I never LOOKED AT or heard much about 38Super until I moved out west and HEARD the term. Obviously it was nothing that interested me way back when or even now. NO offense to any person who LIKES and shoots that caliber.

Plus I no longer shoot handguns.

I would NEVER make fun of a NEWBIE TRYING TO LEARN to buy the proper ammunition EVER. Maybe they should have ASKED a salesman for HELP or they received the WRONG ANSWER (?!) too.

I had seen AMMO for my former late 90's Glock 19 and another Glock 19 out here in various terms as a NEWBIE.

Example: 9mm LUGER AND 9mm PARA BELLUM and as a Newbie who was not at my GUN STORE at the time - I had to double check that I was GETTING THE RIGHT 9mm AMMO since I knew that it could not be returned. SOME factory ammo boxes has it worded BOTH WAYS. I knew what para bellum MEANT in Latin but it confused me when looking at the 9mm factory ammunition boxes since some ammo companies had it worded various ways.

And I was NOT LOOKING AT OR FOR what they call 9mm short or .380 or 9mm Kurz (?) back in the late 90's as a Newbie.

I had THAT ^^^ explained to me since I had to LOOK IT UP for a VETERAN friend who was gifted an OLDER foreign pistol and my MT husband explained it to me. Plus I read some of it here and elsewhere on the WWWeb.

Old Lady Cate
My wife had a similar/different experience... I let her address the salesman while I was elsewhere looking at items, she was inquiring about a .357mag. The salesman tried to sell her on a .38, or 9mm, or .380 because a .357mag might be more gun than she could handle. She scoffed at the guy and explained to him that her daddy had taught her on .44mag and that 9mm was a joke. He looked disbelievingly at her, when I stepped into the conversation and explained that she grew up in Bush Alaska. She currently prefers her daddy's Colt Python (in .357), and his .44 sits in the gun cabinet waiting for me to reload ammo for.

For all the noobs who keep writing "caliber" when they should write "cartridge," learn the difference. It ain't the same thing.

Lets talk about clips next.

P

Moon clips or Garand clips? Sigh........I suppose everyone here was born knowing everything there is to know about guns. Well, except for the noobs writing caliber instead of cartridge.

/get on my lawn

Instead of all the noobs, how about everyone and their brother wanting to make and sell their own snowfake special cartridge so we have 10 billion of them and most differ by a gnat's butt?:D

isnt the 38 super just a 9mm with slightly more powder? It got popular in mexico when they banned 9mm?

We, as a collective species, need to decide that banning a round like a 9mm, only making it legal for an almost identical round to gain popularity just because it has a different name is just idiotic. we need to say "well, that was stupid, lets just keep the 9mm and make it simple" and then go on with our lives.

I'm pretty sure we also dont need 10 billion types of screw heads and screw drivers and who the hell thought that two types of engine coolant that are incompatible but do the exact same thing were a good idea? Oh, instead of using the same one we just name them different and make them a different color?

/get off my lawn.

For all the noobs who keep writing "caliber" when they should write "cartridge," learn the difference. It ain't the same thing.

Lets talk about clips next.

P

...and if I told you I'm looking for a magazine to go with my Savage Model 23D, you may misinterpret and not know that I am looking for a recent publication that included an article or old advertisement for the rifle.

...and if I told you I'm looking for a clip for my Savage Model 23D, you would know EXACTLY that I am looking for the "thingy that holds the bullets".

Successful message delivery is the measure of good use of language. Prescriptive rules sometimes interfere.

Yep, we've all been made fun of by somebody when we first starting something new...

Then again I realize how much I don't know about so many things...It's better than being force-fed humble pie.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top