JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My boss gave me a box of mismatched ammo, in it were paper shotgun shells. Makes sense that they would use paper back in the day, but never though about it. That seems pretty damn cool. Kind of want to shoot them, but I think they'll stay on my shelf. *edit* Turns out Rio and Federal still make them, they are just 0.40-0.50/round.

Question for you old timers. Was it always a taboo subject to tell someone you are into guns? Especially in the dating world.

Hello,

I am an old lady @ 70 years old.

If talking about guns is 'taboo' to a woman or a man while you are dating or meet in a group setting... you are talking to the wrong person.

If a man (Or a woman!) can't handle some subject matters when it comes to tools or inanimate objects when you first meet or, later on, over dinner or coffee/tea... RUN AWAY!

You can agree to disagree and have various opinions about ALL kinds of subjects from a to z but if they WILT like a rose with NO water in a vase on a 90 plus degree day when you mention the word GUN... look out!

You are hanging around the wrong female or male depending on your situation or crowd!

That does NOT mean that you have to 'force' someone to like/love guns as YOU do or MAKE them shoot, buy, own, or carry a gun. NO man should bully a woman into shooting any gun! Vice versa!

Personally, I don't give a rat's butt if a person chooses to OWN or not own a gun. IT is their decision to make but don't force me to think or live like them!

NO man or woman should force or bully (Or think that it is FUNNY!) another person to shoot a gun IF they believe that 'said gun' would HURT them physically or scare them away from guns.

That is NOT only STUPID - it is MEAN and it makes some people hate guns even more so you end up with another ANTI RKBA person!

Would you want someone to do that to you? NO. Apply the Golden Rule here when it comes to guns.

They should NOT let a Newbie try out a gun and NOT have them WEAR safety glasses (Rx or not.) and good ear protection to protect their eyes and ears!

Plus if the Newbie has a disability or is frail and IF they have never shot a gun before... don't give them one of those Light Weight Guns in a large caliber where they will feel tremendous recoil on their shoulder, wrists or in their hands depending on the GUN be it a shotgun, a rifle or a handgun in some designs.

(It depends on the INDIVIDUAL shooter because some ladies and gentlemen can shoot larger caliber firearms even if they are smaller and have a disability BUT they usually work their way up to them or THEY are willing to try them out - their decision.)

I detest BULLIES and idiots especially when it comes to guns, in other freedom issues and when they are in POWER as in politicians! Ugh.

And if guns TRIGGER THEM, in OR out of a political office, and they WANT more BANS, restrictions, more gun laws imposed upon us, anti this or that in very SPECIFIC matters and you do NOT agree with those crazy, my opinion, and unconstitutional IDEAS... you would NOT want to make someone like that your long term partner as in a 'wife' or husband.

I am not saying that every person HAS to get married either! Or that dating only means marriage either! Or that dating means a long term relationship either!

You can date some people who might not agree with you in all of your ideas but when it comes to a LONG term relationship if you should CHOOSE to have one... I see it as a BIG mess with conflicting ideas, morals, freedom, constant fighting, etc.

IF you don't LIKE and RESPECT someone as your best friend... I sure as heck do not see how you could LOVE them as a wife or husband.

That does NOT mean that you have to agree with them 100% in every single THING in your life either. But when it comes to your basic BELIEF SYSTEM - religious or not, your morals, your goals in life, a solid foundation, ideals, sense of freedom in a sane or crazy society, your gut, your brain, your soul, GUN OWNERSHIP, etc. - you should be on the same page or 'wavelength' as the old saying goes.

GUN control = people control.

Triggered people? I stay away from them. It makes life much more calmer.

Save the drama for your Mama comes to mind! LOL

Cate

Last Edited:
Hello,

If talking about guns is 'taboo' to a woman or a man while you are dating or meet in a group setting... you are talking to the wrong person.

If a man (Or a woman!) can't handle some subject matters when it comes to tools or inanimate objects when you first meet or, later on, over dinner or coffee/tea... RUN AWAY!

You can agree to disagree and have various opinions about ALL kinds of subjects from a to z but if they WILT like a rose with NO water in a vase on a 90 plus degree day when you mention the word GUN... look out!

You are hanging around the wrong female or male depending on your situation or crowd!

That does NOT mean that you have to 'force' someone to like/love guns as YOU do or MAKE them shoot, buy, own, or carry a gun. NO man should bully a woman into shooting any gun! Vice versa!

Personally, I don't give a rat's butt if a person chooses to OWN or not own a gun. IT is their decision to make but don't force me to think or live like them!

NO man or woman should force or bully (Or think that it is FUNNY!) another person to shoot a gun IF they believe that 'said gun' would HURT them physically or scare them away from guns.

That is NOT only STUPID - it is MEAN and it makes some people hate guns even more so you end up with another ANTI RKBA person!

Would you want someone to do that to you? NO. Apply the Golden Rule here when it comes to guns.

They should NOT let a Newbie try out a gun and NOT have them WEAR safety glasses (Rx or not.) and good ear protection to protect their eyes and ears!

Plus if the Newbie has a disability or is frail and IF they have never shot a gun before... don't give them one of those Light Weight Guns in a large caliber where they will feel tremendous recoil on their shoulder, wrists or in their hands depending on the GUN be it a shotgun, a rifle or a handgun in some designs.

(It depends on the INDIVIDUAL shooter because some ladies and gentlemen can shoot larger caliber firearms even if they are smaller and have a disability BUT they usually work their way up to them or THEY are willing to try them out - their decision.)

I detest BULLIES and idiots especially when it comes to guns, in other freedom issues and when they are in POWER as in politicians! Ugh.

And if guns TRIGGER THEM, in OR out of a political office, and they WANT more BANS, restrictions, more gun laws imposed upon us, anti this or that in very SPECIFIC matters and you do NOT agree with those crazy, my opinion, and unconstitutional IDEAS... you would NOT want to make someone like that your long term partner as in a 'wife' or husband.

I am not saying that every person HAS to get married either! Or that dating only means marriage either! Or that dating means a long term relationship either!

You can date some people who might not agree with you in all of your ideas but when it comes to a LONG term relationship if you should CHOOSE to have one... I see it as a BIG mess with conflicting ideas, morals, freedom, constant fighting, etc.

IF you don't LIKE and RESPECT someone as your best friend... I sure as heck do not see how you could LOVE them as a wife or husband.

That does NOT mean that you have to agree with them 100% in every single THING in your life either. But when it comes to your basic BELIEF SYSTEM - religious or not, your morals, your goals in life, a solid foundation, ideals, sense of freedom in a sane or crazy society, your gut, your brain, your soul, GUN OWNERSHIP, etc. - you should be on the same page or 'wavelength' as the old saying goes.

Cate

Young bucks take note when yer out there tryin' ta sow yer oats.

PC110350.JPG

This is a "two-fer". Not only the price, but the method of marking. Remember the Grocery Store Owner wearing an apron, carrying the huge, messy blue-ink price stamper that weighed nearly as much as an 8" Smith & Wesson and a black handle similar to that on a German Potato Masher Grenade? (Calm down, boys, this is not in the Classified section).

PC110351 (2).JPG
Now a "Three-fer". This is where that artifact was found.

PC110353.JPG
Now a "Four-fer". The original receipt from a gun shop in Texas, 1978.
A "Five-fer" considering the price.

Last Edited:
Not a 100% lament... some are just gone, not missed:

Mak 90s with thumbhole stocks.
Guns at garage sales.
Black Talon ammo.
Series 80 1911s.
Discount store branded rifles and shotguns.
Guns in discount stores.
Discount stores.
Cops w revolvers and shiny leather duty belts/shoes.
Kids in the wild with a .22 and a string of furry vermin... by themselves.
BB gun wars in the back yard.

Hello,

Cate
Sage and worthwhile comments . . . . .

My boss gave me a box of mismatched ammo, in it were paper shotgun shells. Makes sense that they would use paper back in the day, but never though about it. That seems pretty damn cool. Kind of want to shoot them, but I think they'll stay on my shelf. *edit* Turns out Rio and Federal still make them, they are just 0.40-0.50/round.

Question for you old timers. Was it always a taboo subject to tell someone you are into guns? Especially in the dating world.

1. I still have paper shotgun shells that I bought new and haven't used yet. .410's because over the years, I've tended to buy more than I shot.

2. When I was first dating my wife in 1973-74, I didn't lay all that on her at once. I was 23, she was 18. I had about 25 guns and 3 cars. I thought if I revealed that all at once, it might sound like I was obsessive. That I wasn't quite "normal." So I let it ride for a while. Until I figured out that it we were in it for the long haul. She was from a family where the whole bunch had only one car between them. Times change. You go back to that neighborhood now, there are five, six, maybe more cars per house. Parked on lawns, on street parking filled up day and night. Trailers and boats clogging the driveway. Garage so filled up with other krap that a car hasn't been in there in decades.

2. When I was first dating my wife in 1973-74, I didn't lay all that on her at once....

The parallels between your anecdote and what I have been doing/thinking are shockingly similar. I guess that hasn't changed. Got a handful of answers, but this is the first one that actually answered what I was asking. But I will chalk that up to a poorly worded question.

Not a 100% lament... some are just gone, not missed:

Mak 90s with thumbhole stocks.
Guns at garage sales.

I was at a Rehv Arms in Covington doing a transfer and a guy walked in with an armload of Mak90s to put on consignment. I chatted with him briefly and he said he was just freeing up some cash and selling stuff he didn't shoot much. So cool to see. Saw a guy selling guns at a garage sale over the summer, said his father had passed and was selling off all his hunting rifles.

This morning I was thumbing through a couple different books on varmint and small hunting published in the 1980s. One of them had a recommendation, and photographs of, .30-30 Accelerator ammunition. I haven't seen those in a long while. (The last time I saw cartridges in that line was in the early 2000s and, if I recall correctly, it was .30'06. One of my brother's, now late, hunting buddies had some in his pickup.)

Which got me to thinking: what gun "stuff" (e.g., firearms, ammunition, accessories) were fairly common back in the day that you hardly ever or never see any more? Be it in gun shops, in the field, etc.
Gunslick is still around.

View attachment 788787
I still have mine!

Wooden racks of old shotguns and rifles
Open bins filled with holsters of various descriptions (all of them leather, no synthetics)
More open bins of loose ammo components
Revolver grip adapters (Tylers, Pachmayrs, and more)
Wood, blue steel, and the aroma of Hoppes all around the shop

I had boxes of those sabet bullets in 30-30 and 30-06, shot the heck out of them. The really cool purchase I made was in an old army surplus store in Lewiston Id. I bought 20 rounds of 30-06 armor piercing ammo and 20 rounds of tracer ammo. THAT was cool. We would set up pieces of parts off of the farm equipment and shot hole through them. Looked like we had taken a drill and drilled a hole through the iron. Had to be careful with the tracer ammo, did not want to start the field or pasture on fire. I went back about 2 months later to buy some more and the store was closed and I never saw any more armor piercing ammo for sale anywhere.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA

New Resource Reviews